Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who don't know my boyfriend has recently purchased a 2004 black wrx. Well.....as of 10:00 last night it is now totaled. With all the rain we had been getting and a nice lil turn and im sure a lil more speed than normality he hit a pole and now the car is most likely totaled..

If any of you guys had seen the damage you wouldve been shocked! Well to the black wrx rip....

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
that really sucks! I hope he's ok - and if there's a will - there's a way - don't throw in the towel yet - those cars are neat - and I'm sure you can find the parts and fix it back up. Easy chance for some SERIOUS mods now.... just re-build it all custom! :p
Anyways - sorry to hear and I hope things work out - post the pictures of the damage.

·
7,595 Posts
hmm, time to get a cavalier again :p

I hear about soooooo many of those WRX's getting wrecked, it's insane. there are sometimes more wrecked ones than good driving ones on ebay :roll:

kind of makes me wonder if these things are pulling a "corvair" :shock:

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Man sorry to her about that. Just like Burns was saying...this may be time to take the cash from the insurance company and seriously modify it.

I hope everything works out...keep us informed.

-DeLorean.... "Rex" is used for the RX-7 / 8. Get it right bud :wink:

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Sorry to hear about the BF's trouble, Saabchic. Glad he's ok, though, and that only the car was RIP. Those can be replaced, ya dig? There was a huge five-car pileup on 128 today, and tons of accidents throughout the region in the past couple of days...

DeLorean, I'd bet it's just as Saabchic says -- wet roads, hot car, new driver -- and not a problem with the handling of the car. I definitely understand where you're coming from though, 'cause as Burns said, there definitely are a bunch of "easy fx, bodyman specials"on Ebay and elsewhere. I think it's probably more about who the car appeals to: younger drivers with fewer miles at the wheel who take more risks and tend to drive faster than average. (Not that your sweetie fits that description, Saabchic :wink: ) The only way the car contributes to that is because it has a deserved reputation for good handling and road feel as an AWD machine, and that might cause someone to go into a turn a little too hot for the road conditions.

We see something similar every winter, when new SUV drivers get a quick refresher in the laws of physics!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I know cars can be replaced I'm glad him and the other two guys in the car ended up to be ok. He's obviously still in shock at this whole thing. He is a VERY good driver but with the rain he overcompensated for the turn. Here are some pics of the damage....

So theres no more modifying this car....he's off thinking about what will be in the driveway next. I just hope he realizes hes not invinsible to the rain eventhough it was/is an AWD car

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Wow. He's a lucky man...

To its credit, Subaru builds in a massive crossbrace right behind the dash assembly that helps the structural rgidity of the car in both rallies and crashes....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm doubting a lawsuit will come about it...but we'll see on that one

One thing for sure that I am wondering is why the side door panel air bags along with the seat air bags and curtains didnt deploy. Not one air bag in that car deployed..so i dunno.

·
7,595 Posts
saabchic said:
I'm doubting a lawsuit will come about it...but we'll see on that one

One thing for sure that I am wondering is why the side door panel air bags along with the seat air bags and curtains didnt deploy. Not one air bag in that car deployed..so i dunno.
well if an air bag sensor was not triggered, they would not have gone off simple as that. with that amount of damage I would have thought that at least 1 would have, but oh well... if no one was injured that's what counts...

Looks like the type of damage I was expecting, those WRX's must be about as east to stay on top of as a bull once they are out of control :roll:

Had he pulled the same move in the Cavalier, all it would have took was to turn into the skid, and it would have fell back into line. with AWD..... forget it! once you are out you are done.... having driven an AWD car myself (6000) I would not want to drive one ever day. I would give myself about 6 months (the way I drive) before I would smash the thing :twisted:

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
IIRC the 04 WRX's dont have side airbags, that is coming on the 05 model.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Wow sorry to see that happen. Its kinda typical way for those cars to get totaled, the AWD is great until you lose it in a corner b/c once its gone there is little chance to gain control again.

Had a friend flip his in the same situtation, he even broke his wheels in the same way.

All that matters is he and anyone else involved are ok.

BTW-I've heard (and do myself sometimes) of the WRX being called a REX. Not saying i'm right just saying i've heard of the WRX reffered to as a REX.

Ian

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
saab90089 said:
BTW-I've heard (and do myself sometimes) of the WRX being called a REX. Not saying i'm right just saying i've heard of the WRX reffered to as a REX.

Ian
you mean "rex" as in "wrecks"?

sorry, bad word play joke. couldn't resist.

Glad everyone walked away from this OK. :shock:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe he was going about 50mph...and believe me it wasnt that big of a pole. I believe he may be picking up his new car tonite...and tryin to surprise me. When I first got to the scene I thought he had flipped the damn thing...thankfully all 3 people in the car weren't even hurt.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Btw guys he rolled up to my house in his brand new car tonight...

a 2004 silver subaru STI ...ill post pics once I get them :roll:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
oh no.... - better get him to take some road class's and learn to drive that thing.... Powerfull car - but that AWD takes some getting used to. He needs an EMPTY parking lot - no poles - and some rubber to burn off and learn how the car reacts at the least. I did this with all of my cars and I've never wrecked one or gotton into a single fender bender/accident.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya, he knows... what he's in for with this. I'm sure/hope he's learned his lesson. And I'm pretty sure thats what he'll do get a nice big empty parking lot and test its handling.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts