Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm trying to set up a Maine/New Hampshire/Vermont/Massachusettes/anyone else interested, meet. I am only 18, I have no idea how to set this up at all, I've gotten a few responses from mainers and surrounding areas saying that they are very interested, but they don't care the distance, except one, a certain someone from mass requests within two hours of boston, which due north would land them right in the middle of freeport maine, which is home of l.l.bean.

I have no idea what we could all do at the meet, I've never been to one, and I have no idea what goes on at one.

Does anyone have any ideas on where this meet could be? Any ideas of what we could do at the meet? Do I have to make reservations anywhere? Is this gonna cost me money?

AND MOST OF ALL, DOES ANYONE WANT TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY OF SETTING THIS UP, SO THAT I DON'T STRESS OUT?

~justin

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Depending when it is, maybe I'd come up for it. I could always stay at my sisters place up there - but it's a good 2 day drive to Maine for me. But would consider.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Justin,

Since you know that many Mainers want to have a meet, why don't you set it up. Its not that difficult, but you have to be somewhat dedicated.

Burnside and Delorean setup the PA meet, so Id ask them for specifics.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Justin, I am a new member. I am interested, I am from CT and am willing to drive the distance. I go to car meets all the time, but never for saab, thats why I joined. I need some advice and help on finding parts for my saab. Theres alot of car shows and meets around me that we can always meet up at too.

Is anyone from Long Island ?? Alot of my friends put on car shows there, saabnet should meet up at them. Team Integra always meets up at them, lets get saabnet out there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
***My post copied from Saabrun.com *******

Why are all these events not planned with local groups involved? Why does someone in Maine plan an event without getting say NESA involved? Why are the club members not pointing out the fact that there is a club in that area and that the planners should get that club involved? Doesn’t it seem logical that a area club does get involved? Area clubs plan their events with other club events in mind so you don’t miss out on one event.
Dirk’s last event had NESA as well as others involved, mine included NESA and TSN at the time….
Are these “new” up and coming thrown together events just parties/get togethers with Saabs involved? If there really is a need to have more events why don’t the people who want to see them happen approach their local club? Wouldn’t this also help the local club by getting more people involved? Seems to me that everyone wants an event but if you were to combine the spent energy on these with more then one group you would have a well rounded and bigger event that more people would want to attend rather then a drive to someplace that is usually far away only to find a half a dozen cars there…..
If the planners are not happy with their local club why not get involved in the local club and breathe some new life into it? I always felt a Saab event should endorse the car we all know and love…. This certainly doesn’t mean flying through the back streets of some little unsuspecting town and speeds well over the posted limit? What does this indicate to future Saab owners? Or better yet what does everyone else think? Are Saab people above the law? Or is it because we own a Saab we’re allowed to do 70 MPH in a 45MPH zone?
I don’t care what you say about that, seen it way to many times myself first hand and it’s always bothered me….
I always liked the part about the scenic views, seems every event lays claims to that one…. Ever try and enjoy these views when your trying to keep a group together and not get lost? Or end up hitting the car in front of you while going 70MPH (I just picked this speed as a reference nothing more)
This past year I have felt more tensions between a lot of people who are simply looking for direction and a feeling of “brotherhood” ( strange word to use in correlation to a car line) but the bottom line is just that…. Brotherhood of Saab lovers…. Am I right?
Please remember these to be just babblings of someone and nothing else. I really don’t have a lot of ground to stand one because I am not in with many of these “club circles” anymore…..
I always felt a gathering should be just that… a gathering, of cars and friends…. A chance to show off your pride and joy, a chance to make new friends, a chance to look at other cars (hard to do at 70MPH) maybe swap parts or sell parts and make the trip worth your while….. Don’t get me wrong nice drives are fun too but when you drive hours on end to get to one, the last thing you want to do is get back in your car and drive some more…… then drive hours on end to get home.
Maybe I am used to the gatherings I’ve attended years ago when I was cavorting in the “street rod” scene I know it’s a different group of people but the gatherings I’ve been to seemed so much better organized and a whole lot bigger…. 100+ cars was nothing compared to a simple swap meet as they called them with 500+ cars there as well…..plus food and parts and tons of interesting people to talk to and it was all accomplished in one full day…..
I would like to see a club event that caters to the “normal Joe” one that doesn’t require tons of $$$$ to attend or a fancy restaurant afterwards…. Remember the good old days of French fries and hamburgers? Could you imagine a gathering at one of those old drive-in restaurants where it didn’t mattered how you dressed or if your hands were a little dirty because you just helped out a fellow Saaber fix his vacuum leak?
Been to many events where people felt uncomfortable about the restaurant or the fact that most of their money is spent on their cars leaving them little or non on hand….This isn’t a bad thing, infact a lot of people that go to theses events do not make $100,000.00 a year (yet) and I’m sure a lot more would be happy with a simple burger as long as they were in the company of other Saabers…..
Some of us are “gearheads” and want to check out what other “gearheads” are doing to their cars….. hard to do when you have an hour at best before your back in your car and on the road…..

I wonder if there is a Saab club out there like this or am I dreaming…….

·
Registered
176 Posts
****Second post on Saabrun.com by me*****
Name tags are easy….. go to Staples or Office Max and buy business cards… did it once before and if I remember correctly so did NESA at Sturbridge….
Still working on my “picnic” or gathering or what ever it will end up being called.
Probably going to take matters into my own hands because I can’t deal with the latest bunch of “volunteers” we seem to have that no one has heard from since our CT meeting, so rather then dealing with more and more delays it’s time to put the horns back on the bull or kill two stones with one bird.
The event I am working on will be 100% paid for out of my pocket although an admission fee will be charged there won’t be much more for people to have to pay…. I have been taking 5% of all my profits from the cars I work on and the parts I manage to sell and setting this aside to finance this project.
I have already made arrangements with the Connecticut parks and recreation committee to see what will be involved in getting this to move forward.
The “rental” for the park, People’s State Forest and a “rent a ranger” isn’t to expensive. I have also negotiated with my local trusted deli to cater the event, IE burgers, hotdogs and all that cookout picnic sort of thing.
Also the Riverton fair grounds committee and the Riverton Fire Department have offered the use of the Riverton Fair grounds which would provide a location with bathrooms and some indoor vendor space…..this is still very much in the works….
What I want to see is a turn out of better then 100 cars……
The “picnic” shall have no affiliation to a club because frankly not to happy with the way things are going lately as far as politics are concerned. I will arrange for vender sponsors should this event get a little pricey but so far the estimates are roughly less then $2000.00 which I will be able to cover.
I plan on having two size vender spots, one being out of the back of your car and another which will be a 20’ X 20’ spot, large trucks and or trailers will be required to purchase the larger spots. I expect the smaller spots to be $15.00 and the larger to be $25.00 this fee will include entrance to the event, the vending spot and food….
I am hoping that normal entrance price to be between $3.00-$5.00 for the whole event. I am hoping this amount will provide a name tag a goodies bag and if your lucky a trophy or ribbon to take home…who knows.
The event/picnic will include a swap meet, car show and food, then a drive at slow speeds around 36 miles of very scenic reservoir… there will be a location for killer group photo’s as well as a stop at one point to enjoy a view 1000’ above the reservoir…..
Well that’s what I have going and I know I have a lot of work on my hands but it needs to be done…. I want to see Saabs dam it !!!!!!
I have so far a couple venders showing interest in the event so we’ll see what happens…..
To date, Mitchell Saab, MacDonald’s Autoparts/Paint, Poroco foreign auto parts, Swedish Automotive, Canton Dyno are on the list and looking for restoration and trim places to come onboard.
No date is set because I have to see what other events are up and coming….
There are a couple really nice Bed & Breakfasts near by as well as the historic Riverton Inn…. All of which are very interested in seeing something like this happen.

I hope to out do myself from my last event, heck even some of my "weekends at Rhich's" has had a better turn out then some of these thrown together events.... so i'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey rhich, sorry i haven't had that meet i want yet, i've been busy with school, and the roads haven't been good enough for me to travel in areas i don't know well, to find a place that people will like, i plan on exploring in february.

i like your idea of a meet, sounds really interesting, and i'd definately go! i like meets like that, but i can't organize things that will involve more than like 20 people, i'm only 18, i have no idea how to do these things, and i have no money, i have like 40 bucks in my wallet. so i can't do stuff like that.

i like scenic drives, but here in maine or new hampshire, there really isn't much other to do than do that and see movies and eat. i'd much rather go to an old fashioned burger stand than a fancy restaurant (fancy being like outback or something), there are cool things like l.l.bean, and the worlds largest chocolate moose, most expensive lobster (400,000 bucks, 14kt gold), worlds largest scale globe, and a really cool go-kart track that has go-karts that go 45 mph, and it's inside! other than that, there is nothing at all

what is NESA?? i'm guessing new england saab association. do they have a website? when and where is their next meet?

~justin

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
count me in for a summer gtg up there
snaab 9-3
my sister goes to Umass, which IIRC is pretty close to CT

So justin, go for a nice long drive sometime, pick out a few good long roads to run, trace them on a map, and tell people when and where to meet
it should be good if you get one set up

Brian

·
Registered
176 Posts
As far as my gathering, it’s still in the planning stages. Once I have everything figured I will present the local groups with a proposal and then plan around their event schedules.
My goal is to have a event filled day that costs little money and covers everyone’s interests….
Sometime in June is the target date.

·
Registered
29 Posts
meet

Theres no hurry, we could do a small meet with people from the site along with do our best to attend established meets. Then we could do a practice, or a few practices and gather information, THEN do it.

There could be lots of messing around this summer, building a team to take charge at the actual meets, advertising, whatever! Get a more solid foundation before we go ahead and do it, but we _can_ do it!

I like where Rhich is going, but thinking about it like that is kind of daunting, for me anyway. I think starting small will still lead to a big event, but there would be the luxury of being able to F*ck it up on a small scale first :D Plus it would give you time to build a team of people you could rely on.

Count me in! I'll be in the south till may, but once i get back up north i'll be active in this grand scheme. I'm only 20, but i think we can handle this.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
If ya do it in June I'll have ONE week free (my summer for 2004) and If it works out I'd go. I most likely would have the 9000T, but maybe the SPG would be road worthy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
saabguy said:
Alright, I'm trying to set up a Maine/New Hampshire/Vermont/Massachusettes/anyone else interested, meet. I am only 18, I have no idea how to set this up at all, I've gotten a few responses from mainers and surrounding areas saying that they are very interested, but they don't care the distance, except one, a certain someone from mass requests within two hours of boston, which due north would land them right in the middle of freeport maine, which is home of l.l.bean.

I have no idea what we could all do at the meet, I've never been to one, and I have no idea what goes on at one.

Does anyone have any ideas on where this meet could be? Any ideas of what we could do at the meet? Do I have to make reservations anywhere? Is this gonna cost me money?

AND MOST OF ALL, DOES ANYONE WANT TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY OF SETTING THIS UP, SO THAT I DON'T STRESS OUT?

~justin
So did you ever plan anything?
-Dirk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts