Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,
1999 9-5 wagon /w 2.3 automatic

I've had my 9-5 wagon sitting for about 2-3 months, would start and move every week or so. Two weeks ago moved it into garage so I could put new brushes into the blower, job went great.

One week ago, we had -20c weather for 3-4 days. Tried to start car then, and it would not start.

I added 500ml methal hydrate and waited till the next morning - warmed to -5c and the car started after about 5-7 hard cranks. It sounded like a diesel starting up and catching on 1-2 cyl and then working it self to an idle.

Ran it for 3 minutes charging the battery and then shut it down.

Went to start again 3 days later, and she would not go. Same hard cranking, but not catching.

I put in 10l of fresh gas thinking gas might be very old. Car still no start.

Checked some vacum lines to throttle body and tightened connections.
Opened fuel pump hatch and pump can be heard humming on.
Tach jumps a bit when cranking.
Smell of gas around throttle body.

Pulled a code p1251

Any ideas?

Seems next step is to reset the throttle body.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

-I reset throttle body, it was indeed triggered.

-Unplugged battery

-Took out spark plugs & noticed they were platinum or iridium. They were wet with gas.

-Swaped in old dirty bkp7r3s or whatever from other spare head & also spare COP.

- plugged in battery

- she fired right up.

- still have very loud annoying belt squealing noise. Have to fix that.

All this in -10c and snowing gently in my driveway.

My hyundai accent has never had these many issues.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Update:

-I reset throttle body, it was indeed triggered.

-Unplugged battery

-Took out spark plugs & noticed they were platinum or iridium. They were wet with gas.

-Swaped in old dirty bkp7r3s or whatever from other spare head & also spare COP.

- plugged in battery

- she fired right up.

- still have very loud annoying belt squealing noise. Have to fix that.

All this in -10c and snowing gently in my driveway.

My hyundai accent has never had these many issues.
the plugs will do that, get a new clean set of NGK BCPR6es plugs and only use the correct ones form now on...

·
Registered
406 Posts
One thing is...these cars hate to sit and especially the older they are the worse it is...I would bet if you drove this car everyday it probably would not have this problem...in addition starting a car up when it is that cold and not allowing it to get up to temp by driving it around is not good...it need to be driven !

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah. To me 3 minutes does not seem enough to reach 80 - 90 celsius engine temp. Personally if I have a car standing undriven long periods of time, I would rather start it more seldom, and instead drive it for a 1/2 hour at least, to get everything up in good temp, and get all the humidity out of the engine oil, and other benefits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts