Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the postings and so far everything said I have done..

Subject car: 87' 900 turbo 16VT 5 speed

Initially I had a problem with not having any dash lights except for the warning lights accompanied by an inconsistent Fuel gauge and loopy Speedo and intermitant dead tach. I replaced the cluster with a good known unit from a 5/85 900 turbo 16V.

Not knowing I had a shift up light, now everything works except the still dreaded dash illumination. I replaced the bulbs prior to installing the replacement cluster (old bulbs were 3W/10W and I installed constant 4.9w bulbs. I checked all the main plugs and other bulbs, everything is working. Rheostat adjusts but nothing comes on. Is there anywhere else to look? Fuses are fine and none of the circuit board has any broken link traces on the flexi-board.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you adjust the rheostat on the actual odometer assembly (not the one on the dash)? I know it seems dumb, but ya never know.
Tried everything. I'll be in there again tommorow installing a CD player and will check. who knows, may be the new bulbs... The Rheostat works as it dims and brightens the console gauges..

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
The 2 dash illumination bulbs in the upper cluster seat on some copper foil around the socket on the back of the cluster. It's common for that contact to fail over time. Pull the bulb holders and clean the contacts on them. Also take some fine emery paper and scuff up the foil around the sockets on the back of the cluster. Then, try reseating them. Sometimes you have to twist them back and forth in the socket until they come on. I've heard of people soldering wires onto the back of the cluster as well and hard-wiring them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 2 dash illumination bulbs in the upper cluster seat on some copper foil around the socket on the back of the cluster. It's common for that contact to fail over time. Pull the bulb holders and clean the contacts on them. Also take some fine emery paper and scuff up the foil around the sockets on the back of the cluster. Then, try reseating them. Sometimes you have to twist them back and forth in the socket until they come on. I've heard of people soldering wires onto the back of the cluster as well and hard-wiring them.
So far no good. I checked the foil and contacts to the bulb. I event replaced the sockets and the bulbs with good working units. I think there is a dead link somewhere in the mix.. I'm just going to hardwire somehow and just jump the wires from the actual dimmer switch (rheostat). It just drives me crazy since I can't see anything. The dimmer works perfectly and controls the rest of the cabin lighting. All the idiot lights and gauges work perfect.

Cheers,
Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.