Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a testament to Johns work. My car just turned 140000 miles. In late 2009 I had JZW install a GT3071 wg , A fmic plus a
few other goodies in my 1999 9-3
Anyway.... Right now I am at 140000 miles and still pushing as much boost as I
want. 30 thousand miles later, a Daily driver... Thanks John
Nice work!!!:D John and Steve did a fantastic job....

I have 25plus lbs whenever I need.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
how much HP does that 25lbs get you?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
That is cool, that car is still beating up Subarus down in Georgia? I was real happy with the way that car turned out, it was one of the better builds we did that just worked right out of the gate and we never really did have to fight the little stuff, ic hoses, vacuum lines, etc. The stg 3+ clutch worked well too, that is a nice combo you have, just needed some suspension to hold it on the road :)

John

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Have done quite a few of those tunes with gt3071wg, there is a dyno on my website listing Palmer's 99 93 with gt3071wg and it made right at about 350whp with stock cams. They will jump up to 400whp with the enem 264/9.6mm cams.

John

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Right now I am not sure the Power, But John is most likely Right. I Just got new 17x8 rims with 225 rubber and that improved everything. It was like night and day the car is a heck of a lot more stable. Next is Springs. Has anyone used any of the steering stabilizers on the market? Which one is the best. Back to the power issue. I am in the process of getting all the weld L's to make a top mount, which will allow me to use an external wg. I love the Garrett, but it builds boost so fast that sometimes I think that it even overpowers, its own internal gate. The issue is that it needs have to keep the gate closed under all the spool up, then smoothly open to keep it from over boosting. I am messing with the angle of the wg actuator arm now to try and remedy this. All in all this setup has been very daily driver friendly. But when I need it, I can open all the power I need the thing is a rocket from 40 -100. I highly recommend this setup, John really did his home work..

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yea, if you do not have any of the aftermarket stabilizers I could only imagine how scary it must be at times :) My stock viggen was all over the place on the street & also on the roadcoarse MUCH better now.

I have Nick/Genuinesaab's VRK & with the 6pt brace, worth the money over the 2pt, notiveable improvement. The brace/clamp imrpove the steering feel & make the steering wheel not wiggle/wonder all over the place especially in long sweeping highish g turns.

I do not have their upper stress bar mount but it's on my to-buy list. Their rear hatch brace did reduce the squeeks I was getting in the back but I haven't had the car back to a track since that was added & also since I went with different tires so I can't compare.

I attempted to fix the main chassis issues that were bugging the crap out of me before I added power. I really enjoyed the 3071r (external wg) I had on my old SPG & have always wanted one on my viggen. Lack of money keeps me with a 6cm 18t on my viggen

good springs/shocks is also a must

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You had a GT 30 on a old school SPG . I also have one of those.. the car not the turbo. My girl now likes the bigger turbo and she wants me to convert her OG 900 spg to T5. Cruzer51 makes a crankshaft position sensor add on for the 16v engine with a new wiring harness to make it run Direct ignition. He quoted me a very reasonable price. The question is. How did the SPG handle the power and what about about the transmission.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Have done quite a few of those tunes with gt3071wg, there is a dyno on my website listing Palmer's 99 93 with gt3071wg and it made right at about 350whp with stock cams. They will jump up to 400whp with the enem 264/9.6mm cams.

John
353whp if i remember correctly.

The TQ was also lol @ 390.

At the wheels. I had a 2.3 though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
John has it going on..... I've dealt with Jak, Nick, John, ..... nobody has been as thorough as John as far as getting things done.... the tune... the clutch..... he even would follow up out of curiosity....mine wasn't a cookie cutter setup either............ there's a lot to be said about that... and John, if you're listening, I hope you can keep it up in the future...!!! unlike others we know............

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
FOr the most part I liked it most of the times. It would get 20+ PSI by about 3700 RPM's with great off boost response. I know that I could of made a lot more power then it was making, the shop that tuned it made it really rich so at 22 PSI I was at 275 whp/wtq (Dynojet) & with 26 PSI on a dyno dynamics dyno I was at 321 WHP & I foget the torque. They tuned my autronic ECU safe like what they did with their vw's & other cars, I shold of leaned it out a bit but didn't want to risk the trans.

Trashing the stock ecu is a must as well as a few other things. I lost a trans I imported from Sweden & went with Scanwest's best box plus a Jorgen Eriksson LSD. Eliminated the 70 mph 1 tire burnouts but hurt the bank account in the process. My biggest reason for selling the car (GreySPG owns it now) was I didn't want to keep dumping money into it. I had doubts the trans would last very long ($8-10K) plus I needed probably $4-5K + to get the seats I wanted & to redo the interior & some engine compartment stuff I wasn't happy with. I built the car for going to roadcoarses but it just has to many weak areas to do that reliably.

If I was building another SPG I would go the cheap route. Not sure if Jak still messes with these old ECU's but I would have him burn a ECU & from a larger Mits turbo on the car with a 3in downpipe & be done with it. The trannies suck & can't take power.

Redline shockproof is the only oil to use with a larger trans oil cooler, only way to add life to the box

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I saw some information from Jak last week, he is living in a school bus, converted to a mobile home and living out in the desert outside Vegas and doing rock climbing and hiking. Has solar panels working his power and is fairly self sufficient. He is truely hippie-fied now :)

John

Attachments

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
wow..... I thought he went to washington state or something like that??? Did his wife/kid move with him?

hippie-fied..... :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone rebuild the older saab gearboxes to handle power. or is the housing too fragile plus the chain drive, ect.? Ours is about to nickel and dime us to death.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
wow..... I thought he went to washington state or something like that??? Did his wife/kid move with him?

hippie-fied..... :)
He apparently left that job and is starting some other job with a disel shop in a short time, living in the desert and enjoying being free :)

He said he may get an opportunity to tune on some disel vw's.

Pic of the inside:

John

Attachments

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Does anyone rebuild the older saab gearboxes to handle power. or is the housing too fragile plus the chain drive, ect.? Ours is about to nickel and dime us to death.
There are some options, but it cost money! Tranny work is expensive. There are some select gears and things like cryo-treat can help,

John

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
^That's pretty darn awesome, I hope he is doing well. Honestly, I think that Jak's exhaust has one of the best sounds of any exhaust I have heard on these cars but I did not like the way he started treating me or his somewhat questionable customer service at times.

I concur though, JZW is awesome!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
That is a good point, his 3" exhaust was very nice on my ng900, it had magnaflow muffler, magnaflow cat and a nice stainless tip and he put a resonator on mine and it even had a flex section on the dp. The fit was pretty good, the welds needed a little touch-up, but the sound was great, hardly bad at idle and cruise, but you knew it was performance when you put your foot in it...

John

1 - 20 of 24 Posts