Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello im new to this forum, ive got a 97 900, but im having some problems. i yanked on my ebrake all winter and now it doesnt engage anymore no matter how high i pull it up. i think this could be due to the electronic control on the system, that automatically disengages the ebrake when the car is moving. i think it is stuck on. could someone please help??

·
10,303 Posts
I remember reading you should never use it in winter, because the brakes are usually pretty warm (expanded) and when you set it, they cool while you are away from the car, and they contract pretty good. Messing the whole thing up.

That also being said, I used mine once, and now look at my front bumper. I never really use the thing anymore. Not worth the hassle.

Sorry I couldn't help with the problem. It may be a new cable you are in need of.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
hey, welcome to the site btw.

i too am having these troubles, my ebrake now only really locks up on sand ice and snow, and it doesn't really slow my car down much when i need it too, my friends ebrake, pull it up 5 clicks, slows him down pretty well, 6 clicks and it'll lock the wheels, i want to be able to do this

i can't be of any help, sorry, but i have heard rumors about this electronic computer automatic disengager thing a ma bob that you are talking about, but not sure if it exsists or not, haven't gotten under my car to look at it, to lazy

so that's how you lost your bumper eh tweek?
lol

~justin

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
You may want to have it looked at by a mechanic, because its possible you've just warn it out.

About the automatic disengage...my car does that as well. I've had people say it shouldn't do this, but others say its supposed to. Not to mention a pretty lengthy discussion with Justin (saabguy) about this...so does this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
mine doesnt auto disengauge, i use it all the time for winter, and rain, driving. On a wet, sealed driveway or parking lot, you can just set it and drive around while your rear wheels slide around
and yes, when parking, your car will rock around a little, but that is the suspension causing that, not the lack of e-brake tension

Brian

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have to say that I have never heard of an auto disengaging mechanism for the e-brake. I've worked on the e-brake before and had the rear brakes apart. The e-brake is pretty simple, the handle pulls the cable which forces the e-brake pads against the drums. Look here for pictures.
http://www.lehigh.edu/~cak7/Upgrades/Brakes/RearRotors.html
If I leave the e-brake on and try to take off the Saab wont move, it just compresses the rear suspension.

Anyways fixing the e-brake cable is easy. Mine used to only engage a few clicks from the top. After shortening the cable it now fully engages 3-4 clicks up. Jack up one side of the rear and pull back the heat shield over the mid muffler. Behind it is the adjuster for the e-brake cable. It splits there from one to two cables and is connected by a long screw. Make sure the e-brake is off and tighten the screw. I shortened my cable by about an inch. Just keep checking the hand brake to see when it engages and spin one of the rear wheels to make sure it is not engaged with the handbrake off. The whole thing takes less than 30 minutes and the e-brake will feel light new.
Eric

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
eric, thanks for the tips, it's raining now here, so i'll probably do that tomorrow, sounds easy, just jack up half the car, crawl under, find where it splits and tighten? nice, even i can do this one

you can just set it and drive around while your rear wheels slide around
that's something where i'd have a huge smile from ear to ear while typing it, lol

~justin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts