Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone took an automatic and converted it to 5spd and what was needed, i know i'll need a new trans mount, just need to know if locations are the same. Also whats needed to get the shift linkage installed. Parts are no issue to me i work at an independent saab shop and my beat up smashed winter car has a sweetheart of an engine with 320k that needs a new body, and i have one available but its an automatic, so if anyone has done this send me a PM, if not, i'll be posting what is needed and how difficult it was.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Just wondering if anyone took an automatic and converted it to 5spd and what was needed, i know i'll need a new trans mount, just need to know if locations are the same. Also whats needed to get the shift linkage installed. Parts are no issue to me i work at an independent saab shop and my beat up smashed winter car has a sweetheart of an engine with 320k that needs a new body, and i have one available but its an automatic, so if anyone has done this send me a PM, if not, i'll be posting what is needed and how difficult it was.
I know there is a post on here somewhere of a guy who converted his 9k from auto to 5 spd. The general procedure should be able the same. You will obviously need a manual transmission brake pedal (smaller), you will need to drill holes to mount the clutch pedal, exct.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmkay, thats pretty much all i needed, i have a complete donor car so parts are no issue. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Mmkay, thats pretty much all i needed, i have a complete donor car so parts are no issue. Thanks for the info
With a donor should be fine. I believe the hardest part will be removing the pins from the ecu (correct me if I am wrong, but when converting from auto to manual, you need to remove the automatic transmission pins). I know genuine saab has something about it on his website, converting from sensonic to manual, so I am assuming it is a similar idea.

Good luck, post progress.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I did this with a couple friends last year. It's pretty easy and straight forward esp with a donor car.

Meant to document it all after the swap but never did.

You will need to bypass the neutral safety switch. Just search for that here and the info should pop up.

I still haven't gotten around to figuring out what I need to do for the reverse lights :rolleyes:

I'm actually thinking about selling the car because I have so many other projects going. And was actually thinking of offering the car to you once it was ready. It has the exhaust and intercooler from the black car. Along with some other mods.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This car isnt going to be pretty at all, just needs to run, i might pull the dash out entirely and look into replacing the body harness as far as i need to with the manual harness if at all possible, if not i could just bypass the neutral safety switch too, i dont even car about reverse lights, it's going to be a beater just because i cant justify not running that engine into the ground, my father and i have tried killing that engine for 4 years now and it wont die and hasnt lost any power lol.

[email protected]@ i would be interested in it because i do miss that car but i too have too many projects, the viggen being one of them. Post some pics of this car or link me to the thread if you have already, i'd like to see it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Just did this swap for another TSL member. Very straight forward. We did a complete powertrain form a 95 900se 5spd into a 98 900se auto shell. The 95 was so well kept that we did not go to a hydraulic clutch, had to drill 1 hole in the firewall for the clutch cable. Swapped a few engine sensors, unplugged the controller for the auto trans (otherwise you get an immediate CEL) I forget the color of the wires, but if you go to the connector for the PNP switch, jump 2 for the starter, add a connector and some wire and run straight to the reverse switch in the 5spd. Depending on years use the main ecu from the 5spd car. Worst case use the auto ecu, it'll run the car fine just gives some minor drivability issues. We couldn't swap the ecu's in our project cuz we needed to be obd2 in the 98. When time allows the ecu will be properly modded to the 5spd, but for now it's working fine

PS. We did the swap in Vt, car just pulled 30mpg all the way to Minnesota

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just did this swap for another TSL member. Very straight forward. We did a complete powertrain form a 95 900se 5spd into a 98 900se auto shell. The 95 was so well kept that we did not go to a hydraulic clutch, had to drill 1 hole in the firewall for the clutch cable. Swapped a few engine sensors, unplugged the controller for the auto trans (otherwise you get an immediate CEL) I forget the color of the wires, but if you go to the connector for the PNP switch, jump 2 for the starter, add a connector and some wire and run straight to the reverse switch in the 5spd. Depending on years use the main ecu from the 5spd car. Worst case use the auto ecu, it'll run the car fine just gives some minor drivability issues. We couldn't swap the ecu's in our project cuz we needed to be obd2 in the 98. When time allows the ecu will be properly modded to the 5spd, but for now it's working fine

PS. We did the swap in Vt, car just pulled 30mpg all the way to Minnesota
Anyway you could get more specific on which wires exactly, would like to figure this out...

thanks

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Both cars are 95's so that works in my favor. If you happen across the wires and colors let me know

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I know there is a post on here somewhere of a guy who converted his 9k from auto to 5 spd. The general procedure should be able the same. You will obviously need a manual transmission brake pedal (smaller), you will need to drill holes to mount the clutch pedal, exct.
yep - and here it is!
http://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7069

Excellent thread for a 9000 trans swap - might be very useful for a heads up idea for your direction. Seems doable and logical.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yup, seriks1 did mine about a month ago. He did a mighty fine job.

I recommend bringing it over and having him do it. The big picture is easy enough. It is the little things that will mess you up. It is worth it.

You would be best to have the WIS, Haynes manual and a lot of time.

I keep meaning to collaborate with him on a write up but time is elusive.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I doubt i'll need any of the manuals, like i said i work at a saab repair shop thats been specializing in saabs since the 70's we have many books and lots of electronic resources and hard parts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Both cars being 95's you should have no curve balls to deal with. I don't even think you'll need to drill a hole for the cable, should be in the right spot, just plugged in the auto. with a power probe you should be able to isolate the wires needed for the starter and reverse switch in 10 min. or less. If I get a chance I'll try to look at wayfarer's car to get you exact colors.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well this project is a bust, the new car that was going to receive my 5spd swap has had the harness cut that comes from relay box under the hood (along with another harness that runs into it) I thought it wouldnt be a big deal since i had to go under the dash to get the pedals disconected only to keep digging and pulling off the dash and the steering column to release the metal frame that everything bolts to, only to find that the harness that was cut runs into the fuse box and the relay box under the dash (below the ICE unit) with no way to just unplug it so i could run it through the body, checked into unplugging relay box under the hood, and that wont happen.

Moral of this story is check the damn harnesses before you invest any time. Anyone have an NG900 3dr that needs a motor(and doesnt have a cut harness)?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Sucks to hear that.

You pulled the whole dash to swap the pedals?!
I just took that bottom cover out and was able to get to everything.

I don't remember/know exactly what the harness situation looks like - will have to check it out - but I pulled everything from your old car. I tried not to cut anything - but maybe it really isn't possible. I'll check to see if I managed to keep it all in one piece.

Also, I need to email you some info and pic of my 3dr 5spd ng 900se if you really are interested.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No I pulled the pedals before removing the whole dash, once pedals were removed I pulled remainder of dash so i could see where the harness comes in, couldnt see it otherwise, and laying under there hurts after a while lol. I didn't really see anyway to keep the harness in one piece, unless I'm an idiot and missed the obvious, which could be. I've moved on and am looking for another body to receive the engine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts