Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just joined and was hoping to get some advice.

I am interested in replacing my brakes using a "Big Brake Kit" along with crossed drilled/slotted rotors. After looking at some of the kits they aren't cheap, does anyone have suggestions?

Also, would like to replace my 16" OEM wheels with some 18" aftermarkets. I've been told not to use aftermarkets, is there anything I should watch?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't scrimp on brakes...stopping is VERY important!

I have had exceptional results on my 2001 Viggen convertible with the premium brake rotors and pads from R1Concepts.com out of Southern California. I bought them from their eBay store. R1 drills and slots each set of rotors, as well as making them directional. You can have them drilled, slotted or both. Their slots have a unique "pointed" end design that helps disburse heat. I did my homework and chose these based on what the company pitched...and I haven't been disappointed.

While these brakes were more expensive than their standard series, they're still more affordable than "retail" or other "name" products. These rotors/pads create minimal dust and provide maximum stopping power (it is a Viggen after all) and have been doing so for more than 30,000 miles. Right now, the pads are showing about 50% wear and the pedal takes just a bit longer to engage, but you can bet I'm replacing them with another set from R1.

When it comes to brakes, you want to be sure YOU control the process and don't depend on some immovable object to bring you to a (final) halt.

As for your wheels inquiry...if they don't come from the factory, they're ALL aftermarket wheels. What you want to do is research the way the wheels are constructed...forged alloy wheels are superior...and go with a known manufacturer. Ronal has made wheels for SAABs for decades, as has BBS which makes for most Eurocars. Many wheels today, especially the "blingy" ones, are coming from China and you need to do your homework.

And just for the record, the factory wheels that came on my Viggen (and virtually all others) had a reputation for being "soft" and bending. Mine did and were replaced with BBS RK-1 wheels, which were an update when the car was new (I found mine in the aftermarket).

·
Registered
369 Posts
Make sure the OD of the tire you mount on something like an 18" has the same OD as the tire that is stock. If not your speedo and odo functions will be off.

The other thing that worries me with some of these low profile tires is lack of meat. My buddy had them on his fancy Mazda ... some big sedan ... and they looked good but for every pot hole and hard edge (like when they resurface a road and are only half done) ... he was bending rims. Tire didn't have sufficient profile to buffer the shock. Some Saabs .. early 93's were known for soft rims. My primitive guess is that the rim gets sacrificed on a rough Swedish back road instead of the suspension?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.