Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry, stupid Q.
what is performance diff between change ECU or MBC?
I changed the Abbott ECU, not sure should i go for MBC....
any suggestion?
Big different?

·
10,303 Posts
An ECU changes the whole way the computer runs the car. It gives you better fuel and spark timing as well as higher boost levels.

A MBC just fools the mechanicals of the turbo system. tricking the ECU (not necesarly bad) into allowing more boost. Actually tricking the wastegate. You are limited in how much boost you can run by your ECU as fuel cuts at 15.5 on your stock ECU.

Weather or not you should add a MBC to an ECU would depend on what stage you run. If it is a stage 1 then a MBC may still help. However if you are running a stage 2 or higher, a MBC may hamper things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that the same ECU between stage1 and stage 2 ( or 3 )?
the only different is about muffler, intake, pipe...etc?
am i right?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
The ECU mod can produce more HP when tuned to the specific mods you're having done.

The programming tweaks are different for the stages to take advantage of the inproved combustion brought on by the exhaust/intake mods...

So....you can buy a stage 3 ECU mod, but you won't get anything close to stage 3 performance unless you make the downpipe, cat and intake changes.

In theory, if you buy a stage 1 mod, and then change the DP, cat and intake, you might not get the full performance of a stage 3 because the car isn't tuned for that level of exhaust/intake.

At least, this is how I understand it....

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
If you search the boards here and on Saabcentral you'll find that Abbott is to Saab tuning what Dom Perignon is to champagne: high name recognition, high prices, not necessarily the best.

you should also check out maptun.se and and sqr.se

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know abbott is not the best but i set it up for few years b4. ( i don't have choice @ that time )
i don't want to spent other $ to change to other brand too.. ( waste too much )

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
afam109 said:
i know abbott is not the best but i set it up for few years b4. ( i don't have choice @ that time )
i don't want to spent other $ to change to other brand too.. ( waste too much )
Actually for those who already have an upgraded ECU, Maptun will offer an exchange discount. You'd have to contact James at Group 9 personally about it as I may be wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts