Saab Link Forums banner

New Strut Tower Brace

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  tidewatersaab 
#1 ·
Just had this built and installed. Please tell me what you think. We've been to the drawing board three times now and think we are there. The design is much stronger than the OEM and uses much thicker gauge steel. Unlike my previous attempts, it doesn't go over the delivery pipe, so it won't affect an upgraded pipe. It also does not interfere with the ABS resorvoir or the fuse box. It is a direct bolt in replacement for the stock (i.e., remove stock, insert this brace and re-use original nuts and bolts). When coupled with a six point subframe brace, it really helps out my 2002 9-3 SE Convertible! I painted it orange so that it would photograph well and because my alma mater (Auburn) colors are orange and blue. :D Black would probably suit most people better. We are building one for Nick this week.

#2 ·
:shock: :shock: Wo Looks like a squid in there :D . If nick is going to carry them, can we get them powder coated in yellow?

The one thing that concerns me is that it might limit access to the rear of the engine by hand to do maintenance, usually I like to check around the back area for problems etc...Now it looks like I might have to remove the strut bar every time, but if it's stronger than stock, me like :D Have you tried fitting this on an N/A car? Especially those with Taliaferro's 2.3L N/A Sport Intake pipe?

#3 ·
So far it's only been fitted on my 2002 9-3 SE CV. Nick will try it on others and we will revise the design as necessary. We tried to optimize access, but the only way we could provide as much access as the OEM brace would be to make a stronger version of the OEM which didn't interest me. It is a 10 minute or less job to remove and reinstall so I don't see this as a major limitation. It is much better than the OEM. I have practically eliminated body roll on my car. :D

Nick intends to powder coat them black (ala Henry Ford), but for extra $$ he may do a custom powdercoat.

#7 ·
sweet! .. btw is the official name gonna be squid bar, cuz thats pimp haha

#10 ·
Tweek, i think Saabsavior has a brace that would fit your car? but i am not sure if it rubs on the delivery pipe or plastic engine cover? most of the pics I see the engine cover is removed...

their brace is not a replacement but an addition to the stock brace.

#15 ·
yeah hes got the ultimate hookup, his pops, who does all his metal work :D :D

#16 ·
lol i freakin wish my pop did it shit..... i do all the work.. then my dad takes it to his work and gets it welded... then he just throws some paint on it.... dude if my dad had half as much interest in cars as i do ... i would have like 8 different cars right now.....

truthfully i do most the fabrication and designs... then i see what i can do myself and what limits me.... then i just go from there... if anything needs to be welded i usually put some tacks on where ever needed then my pops will take it to work or ill take it to a muffler shop... thats bout it....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.