Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some sylvania silverstar headlight for my c900, I also put on my studded snows tonight. I took it for a test drive, and I love the silverstar light, I had the cheap sylvania ones on there before. I especially notice a difference on high beams.

Pics:

New Silverstars:

Old Stock Lights:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
SIlverstars are nice, but they do have a tendancy to burn out quick. When I used them I made sure that the glass was as clean as can be with just using a cloth. and only had the lights on when needed, I would get months more life out of them.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok good to know. I did clean them with a soft cloth last night, and put the bulb grease on the contacts to help them perform better (I've never put it on before, does it really help?) And I usually just leave the lights on, but I did turn them off this morning when I was going to church because I thought, I'll just save these as long as I possibly can.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I bought these lights for my 9k about a month ago and in my opinion not worth the 40$ so either Im going to install hids or figure out some clean way of installing my hellas

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
HIDs are the way to go handsdown I have never gone back to hologen for low beams. silverstars are IMO are the next best off the shelf bulb, other then $60 hellas.

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
You will not really ever see a difference unless the wattage is increased (non-HID), if you install HIDs, or if you change the lenses for a better beam pattern.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
You will not really ever see a difference unless the wattage is increased (non-HID), if you install HIDs, or if you change the lenses for a better beam pattern.
I'll agree halfheartedly..

Silverstars do show a bit of a difference in the quality of light over stock, but it is honestly not a huge difference and not at all worth the money at the rate they burn out. My first set burned out in about 3 months, so not the greatest product. Let us know how long yours last.

Still, I want HID's now, so Saabeh let's put those 8k's back in the NG*

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
I'll agree halfheartedly..

Silverstars do show a bit of a difference in the quality of light over stock, but it is honestly not a huge difference and not at all worth the money at the rate they burn out. My first set burned out in about 3 months, so not the greatest product. Let us know how long yours last.

Still, I want HID's now, so Saabeh let's put those 8k's back in the NG*
The only time I could get more light on the road was by getting higher watt bulbs (65w+, illegal). Because the silverstar bulbs are stock wattage (55w) they will not provide more lumens. Change the beam pattern and you will be in good shape. The reason why HID's allow more light on the road is because they produce more lumens than a stock bulb (and at a lower wattage!).

But, some people freak out at HID users that don't have projectors. My response to this is always: Then why do many modern cars (Lexus RX300, Prius, Infinitis, etc) have HIDs in non-projector housings? They can do it because they engineer the bulbs for it, which you can do too by not buying mega r-tard HID's at 12,000 K. My Aero will be getting 6,000 K Low, and fogs. Separate high beam bulb ftw!

/rant

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Just a word on halogen bulb life... if you put your grubby little fingers on the bulb itself, you significantly reduce the life of the bulb. Oils from your skin on a halogen bulb is a no-no.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I heard that if you only use them at night you can get about double that out of them, about 6 months.
With the daytime running lights off I would typically get anywhere from 6-12 months.

With the 9-3 though I have the boost gauge in the headlight spot and have the DRL's on so I haven't bothered with these because as everyone has mentioned the 3ish month life span and the cost isn't worth the little extra change of light. Better off to buff up the glass of the headlight lens itself and make sure the headlights are aligned correctly.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I bought these lights for my 9k about a month ago and in my opinion not worth the 40$ so either Im going to install hids or figure out some clean way of installing my hellas
Buy some of the ebay e-code lights - install 4 high beam bulbs - never have light output woahs again. Period. Only way to drive a 9000 CS body at night :)

As for the silverstars - I've never seen a set last more then 6 months aside from a cube bulb style - going on 2 years with my Geo Metro and they are significantly clearer light output vs. cheaper replacements.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts