Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the Forum world. So I am probably going to break the rules. I have a 2002 Saab 9-3 SE CNV and I love it. The thing is, it ain't never coming back, unless this new company brings back some old styling. With that, I am now committing to keeping my baby with 80k miles in great condition. The reason I joined this group, is to see what neat things I can do to my baby to keep it special and with the times, in addition to a couple of concerns I have. If anyone reads these, could you send me in the right forum direction:

A/C Issue: As of late, when I get in my car the A/C goes on as usual (however, it not as strong as it once was), then about 3-4 minutes later, it goes off completely.... until about 4 minutes, it comes back on, like nothing happen. Recently have had the A/C Blower Motor Replaced, but that just cost me $100.00.

Floor Mats: I just ordered replacement mats for my tan interior/ silver exterior convertible. Had a dandy of a time finding a matching color... So, in the end, I choose black (going for the two-tone look). Was wondering if I am going to be happy with this contrast?

Replacing Factory Stereo: Sick of having my iphone charger, gps charger, sirius satellite radio (which I had professionally mounted via FM Modulator) lying there right in front of me. Looking for a used/ refurb double-din GPS in-dash stereo with blutooth, iphone/ipod, sirius sat. Don't really need the DVD, but GPS yes! (1) Crutch says double din does not fit but everyone else says yes. (2) Anyone who has done/ seen this... does it destroy the Saab look? (3) What do people recomend (and where to go) in the 500 dollar +/- range (that may be too low but times are tight so I thought I'd put it out there). (4) ... I probably have more, but I am sure you all are sick of me whinning now.

Converting to Xenon (i.e upgrading from halogen): Where to go and what to get... just want xenon, b/c I want to see better (i.e. not looking for fancy). Feel free to just tell me what to get and where to go.

Well, I am off FORUM hunting... but feel free to direct me where to go in the interim.

Mr. Underhill

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I am new to the Forum world. So I am probably going to break the rules. I have a 2002 Saab 9-3 SE CNV and I love it. The thing is, it ain't never coming back, unless this new company brings back some old styling. With that, I am now committing to keeping my baby with 80k miles in great condition. The reason I joined this group, is to see what neat things I can do to my baby to keep it special and with the times, in addition to a couple of concerns I have. If anyone reads these, could you send me in the right forum direction:

A/C Issue: As of late, when I get in my car the A/C goes on as usual (however, it not as strong as it once was), then about 3-4 minutes later, it goes off completely.... until about 4 minutes, it comes back on, like nothing happen. Recently have had the A/C Blower Motor Replaced, but that just cost me $100.00.

Floor Mats: I just ordered replacement mats for my tan interior/ silver exterior convertible. Had a dandy of a time finding a matching color... So, in the end, I choose black (going for the two-tone look). Was wondering if I am going to be happy with this contrast?

Replacing Factory Stereo: Sick of having my iphone charger, gps charger, sirius satellite radio (which I had professionally mounted via FM Modulator) lying there right in front of me. Looking for a used/ refurb double-din GPS in-dash stereo with blutooth, iphone/ipod, sirius sat. Don't really need the DVD, but GPS yes! (1) Crutch says double din does not fit but everyone else says yes. (2) Anyone who has done/ seen this... does it destroy the Saab look? (3) What do people recomend (and where to go) in the 500 dollar +/- range (that may be too low but times are tight so I thought I'd put it out there). (4) ... I probably have more, but I am sure you all are sick of me whinning now.

Converting to Xenon (i.e upgrading from halogen): Where to go and what to get... just want xenon, b/c I want to see better (i.e. not looking for fancy). Feel free to just tell me what to get and where to go.

Well, I am off FORUM hunting... but feel free to direct me where to go in the interim.

Mr. Underhill
Welcome aboard!

AC: Around 75k-100k, a couple of things seem to happen pretty reliably with these cars. 1. The AC compressor poops the bed. It will squeal like a pricked pig and then the pulley will lock up and maybe take your serp belt with it. Woot! 2. The motor blower resistor will die and kill anything coming out of your vents, sometimes just a few months after you've gotten everything squared away with the AC being restored and re-functional. This is sucky as well. Not sure exactly what's going on in your case, though. Others might know.

MATS: Yep, these go in and out of NLA it seems.

RADIO: Check out Nakamichis. They're pricey but pretty neat.

XENONS: No clue.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Welcome, I will be moving to Socal at the end of the year. As for the lighting; I was almost going to do a xenon projector retrofit where you modify the stock headlight housing and retrofit a projector into it. It looked like it would run my $600 which was more than I wanted to spend but I am sure it can be done for cheaper if you look around. This is the way to do it properly.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
just get yourself a Set of E-code lenses from an online supplier, and install some high quality bulbs.

i found this made a world of difference when i got my Viggen (although the headlight buckets were trashed as well so i replaced them at the same time.)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Welcome. Agreed with viggenkid, get ecodes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in LA and ... Ok, I'm going to be honest, I have no idea what e codes are , but the answer to that question is not as impt as where do I get / which ones should I get? ( or point me please) . Please don't think me's lazy... It's just last nite tying to resolve my car stereo install hint turned into me not going to bed until 3am. My ADHD got the best of me. And if you are wondering... I got this great idea of putting
an elaborate car a/v system in my 9-3. It incl a touch screen to replace the factory radio and all the guts (radio DVD gps sirius crap) hidden away in car / glovebox. I got here bc I thought that this make it easier on me than if someone broke into my car a yanked out a mod price pioneer double din. Needless to say, ADHD can keep you up at nite -- Just Like Now. Gotta go before it happens again.

·
User
9,193 Posts
Most are against HID's, but it made a world of a difference in my Viggen and has almost no glare to oncoming drivers.

I have an 8000k Hi/low slim digital ballast kit off of ebay. Works great.

If you have a lot of money and time, then you can do a projector retrofit, which is the route I am going in next year... I just want the nice clean cutoff of a projector.

Also, Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you very much. I only web surfaced for a minute or three before went to bed. I'll be sure to check out the recs above very shortly.

Also, not the best in car audio/ visual... but what's your all opinion on BOSS, PYLE, POWER ACOUSTIK, and VALOR? I understand that there are not the best, but times are gettin tough these days. Please be candid (that's what I like about this FORUM already)! :)

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
welcome to the forum.

i like how you started it off.. let us know what you need upfront.. good man... oh ... and since no one else has said it...

PICTURES?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pics?

Will do so real soon.

I am waiting for my new black floor mats. My fingers are crossed -- either it is going to look real trashy with black mats on beige carpet... or it will look sweet. I am sure though, I'll get some "constructive" feed back.

As for e-codes/ xenon debate... was going to go e-code but then I red on another forum about UK and US being different...(duh, I know). So I am waiting for some US suggestions b/c frankly I don't have a f'ing idea what e-codes are... and frankly I don't care ... so long as they look neat and brighten up my vision... in other words, i'm taking your all words for it. However, what i do know is that in europe the steering wheel is on the other side... and that got me thinking...

As for radio upgrade... why can't one company make an all around good unit. by the time i factor in how much time i have put into searching for a good d-din gps/ bluetooth/ steeringwheel/ sirius radio... I think it would be cheaper to pick up a person at the local HOME DEPOT and ask them to be my car-assistant, navigator, dj, etc. grrrr.

To make a longstory short... slowly but surely I'm gettin there!!

You all have been great thus far.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just joined the Saab LA facebook page. Thanks for the link. Also... I just purchased the PIONEER AVIC 700bt double din gps headunit (no DVD; harddrive based nav).

Now, I am looking at this thing... and ... I don't know what I got myself into.

I'd like to use the steering wheel controls, my iPhone, blutooth for phone (not sure if it works for music)...and most of all, I want it to still look like a SAAB factory-esque installed unit (if one existed back in 2002 for my 02 saab 9-3 convertibe). And, is it true that I will loose the front speakers now?

Well, you all have any advice on things I need to get or bulletin boards I need to go to? ...I'm going to go get some towels and boil the water... Ill check back in very soon. My g'friend is going to get pissed b/c I'm suppose to be looking for a new gig and here I am doing my first DIY thing. oh looord.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just purchased the e-codes you recomended. They just shipped today from CT to CALI. I'll be sure to take and post before and after pics. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts