Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! Merry Christmas :)

I've had Saabs for many years now, and have been a member on several boards and forums - but haven't really seen this site until now. A while back I tucked my two Saabs into a garage for 8 years, and have only really surfaced again over the past couple of weeks. So - here I am.

I currently have an '85 900 Aero (Aussie-spec SPG) and a 1980 900 Enduro. The Enduro is my second one (Aquamarine Blue Metallic) as I sold my last one (Marble White) to another Sydney-sider Saab nut who's going to start restoring it in the new year.

I'm driving the Enduro for the next 11 months, which is the time it has left on its current registration. As a daily driver in our Australian summer it isn't very comfortable - no air conditioning is fitted and there is no radio. The wide tyres (225/50-15) and uprated Enduro suspension (484lb coils on the rear) are pretty harsh, but it's great fun to drive.

It turns heads positively everywhere it goes. I can get a little self-conscious at times with the attention it draws. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and the car is now 30 years old - and it isn't in what I'd call "showroom" condition - so that adds to the trouble. I'd like it to be mint if I get people walking up and asking what it is all the time. Enduros are rather polarising - even as a Saab lover. You either love them or loathe them. Photos never do them justice, and I also dislike some photos of Enduros I've seen over the years - where they've made it look over-angular. In the flesh it's a little different. It kind of "works", with the lines of the leading edge of the c-pillar and rear deck intersecting the flares profiles really nicely.

I'll be stripping it right down at the end of next year after the rego expires. It will then get the full restore treatment - go nuts I say. At that stage I'll get the Aero back on the road and drive around in comfort again.

I have a website that I'm working on completing, and it's already functional - albeit a little short on substance yet:

SAAB 900 Enduro

Thanks for providing this forum - I reckon that I'll get a lot out of it - and hope to put plenty back too.

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hi everyone! Merry Christmas :)

I've had Saabs for many years now, and have been a member on several boards and forums - but haven't really seen this site until now. A while back I tucked my two Saabs into a garage for 8 years, and have only really surfaced again over the past couple of weeks. So - here I am.

I currently have an '85 900 Aero (Aussie-spec SPG) and a 1980 900 Enduro. The Enduro is my second one (Aquamarine Blue Metallic) as I sold my last one (Marble White) to another Sydney-sider Saab nut who's going to start restoring it in the new year.

I'm driving the Enduro for the next 11 months, which is the time it has left on its current registration. As a daily driver in our Australian summer it isn't very comfortable - no air conditioning is fitted and there is no radio. The wide tyres (225/50-15) and uprated Enduro suspension (484lb coils on the rear) are pretty harsh, but it's great fun to drive.

It turns heads positively everywhere it goes. I can get a little self-conscious at times with the attention it draws. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and the car is now 30 years old - and it isn't in what I'd call "showroom" condition - so that adds to the trouble. I'd like it to be mint if I get people walking up and asking what it is all the time. Enduros are rather polarising - even as a Saab lover. You either love them or loathe them. Photos never do them justice, and I also dislike some photos of Enduros I've seen over the years - where they've made it look over-angular. In the flesh it's a little different. It kind of "works", with the lines of the leading edge of the c-pillar and rear deck intersecting the flares profiles really nicely.

I'll be stripping it right down at the end of next year after the rego expires. It will then get the full restore treatment - go nuts I say. At that stage I'll get the Aero back on the road and drive around in comfort again.

I have a website that I'm working on completing, and it's already functional - albeit a little short on substance yet:

SAAB 900 Enduro

Thanks for providing this forum - I reckon that I'll get a lot out of it - and hope to put plenty back too.

Cheers
Chris
Wow, those are very nice! Post more pictures if you've got them. Welcome!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Those are some awesome cars. I'll be starting the resto on my Comm Ed #3 next summer. We'll have to exchange notes. You should start a thread about the project in the c900 General forum once you're ready to roll on the project. We love project threads.

BTW, one of my favorite parts of the Enduros is the paint treatment on the hood and up around the side windows. I've always wanted to try that with vinyl wrap on a c900.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Welcome!

Never heard of an Enduro, was it a special Aussie option package?

Edit: Wow!

900 Enduro

The Enduro was a special version of the 1980 900 Turbo assembled by Saab Australia; only twelve 900 Enduros were made.[1] Five are believed to still be in existence as of December 2008.

Recently heard a rumours from a reliable source suggest that Purvis Cars (of "Eureka"/"Nova" fame - http://www.eurekacarclub.com.au ) were originally commissioned by Saab Australia to design and implement the body modifications for the Enduro.

The package consisted of large, flared fiberglass fenders, front and rear fiberglass spoilers, extra gauges (oil pressure [0 to 500kPa - 0 to 75 psi], battery voltage [10 to 16 volts] and ammeter [-50 to +50 A]) mounted where the radio usually was.

The cars were fitted with Simmons 'P-4' 3-piece composite alloy 7.5x15" wheels. The overall outside edge-to-edge distance is 4-inch (100 mm) wider at the front and 9 inches (230 mm) at the rear over a 900 Turbo of the day - mainly to fill the enormous guards. Tyres were 225/50VR15 Pirelli Cinturato both front and rear.

Suspension was improved with 290 mm (free length) by 17 mm 368 lb 7.1 turn springs up front and 300 mm (free length) by 16 mm 484 lb 9 turn springs at the rear. Steering caster was set to +2.25 deg +/- .25 deg, camber to -1.75 deg +/- .25 deg and toe in was 2.5 mm +/- 0.5 mm.

To increase performance, the wastegate was set at 17 psi (1.2 bar), which delivered a claimed 175 hp (130 kW) from its 8-valve B201 slant-4 engine. Water injection came standard.

Paint was a 2-pack Dulux Acran enamel and came in at least two known colors - a metallic royal blue, and a very light green (almost white) referred to as "Marble White". There was at least one Enduro painted in red. The hood, side window frames and rear deck were painted in Dulux GT Satin Black. Large "ENDURO" stripes were emblazoned on the hood, the rear deck and along both sides at sill level.

An enthusiast's dedicated Enduro restoration website: http://www.saab900enduro.com

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
From what I've gathered, 12 kits were made--but only 11 cars--for the Oz market. Cars also had the auxiliary gauges, special 15"x7.5" wheels, special suspension, turbos pumping out 17.5 PSI and water injection.

Why does it seem every other market gets the cool stuff? ;-)

EDIT: whoops got in too late...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Welcome!!! Those are looking sweet!!! I love the c900s, they're probably my favorite Saab ever made.

So I guess the good thing about being a Saab owner in Australia is that you don't have to get in the middle of all that Ford vs. Holden stuff right? ;-)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :) Merry Christmas!

I've been enjoying driving the blue Enduro during my break and have racked up a few local kilometres to sort out what requires doing first.

The first day I went out it was raining and dark - so I had my headlights and wipers on, only to suffer a dead battery after 20 minutes. The good old charge bulb behind the dash had blown, which I'd not noticed, so the alternator had not been working. Jeez - the backfiring that was going on for a km or two after the fuel pump stopped was incredible. I'd love to have seen the flames out the pipe - I just hope no damage occurred. Should be OK as it's all fine now.

Other than a few rust spots that I've treated and re-painted with some spray cans I had made up and matched to old metallic paint I'm right to enjoy the drive for a little while now. Gearbox problems aside, it's a joy to drive - so I intend to take it on a reasonably long trip shortly - down to my property (you call them "ranches" I think) which is about 400 miles away in the Snowy Mountains. That should flush out a few more bugs... :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts