Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
10,000 rpm with 20hp haha, faster travels and more room than my current machine. But finding the room in this building is the tricky part. Anyone that has been down will agree that its time for more space.

On the way should be here monday after next. Not new but close. Can't simply stick a Ups return tag on 8,000lbs. ;)

Now to get back to work on the industrial jobs that pay the bills so we can play cars. :)

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what else do you build?
Racecar parts for the local shops, Adaptor plates for intakes Honda BMW GM etc. Industrial parts too. If you are in California will have a good chance of touching parts we made in the routine of driving your car. :cool: Most are covered by NDA so no pics etc. Lots of it is prototype parts and short runs. Now we are counting in the thousands headed to /tens of/ on one part number.

These were some 22" Dub wheels, I put the center features in. They were $2k each.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Racecar parts for the local shops, Adaptor plates for intakes Honda BMW GM etc. Industrial parts too. If you are in California will have a good chance of touching parts we made in the routine of driving your car. :cool: Most are covered by NDA so no pics etc. Lots of it is prototype parts and short runs. Now we are counting in the thousands headed to /tens of/ on one part number.

These were some 22" Dub wheels, I put the center features in. They were $2k each.
Very cool.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
How many axises?

I should of told you about a die-casting place that closed up here in Iowa a couple of years ago. There were a few cheap CNC's there.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
now we know where the R&D funding for our saabs comes from!
I don't get much shop money for the racecar. Thats from having basic cable and living cheap. The rest comes from good old fashioned WORK.. We have been here a bit over 20 years! ;) This just helps build the brand. The work for Non Saab stuff pays much better.

Left last night at 9pm and started at 8.30.. Today slept in till noon Dyno some hondas and DSMs while feeding the CNC.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Better volumes, deeper pockets... ;-)

Looks great, Nick!

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
What software are you using to make the tooling paths?

One of my friends from high school's dad owns MasterCAM. I've been to their offices a few times and raced the go karts they have that they run for fun when the day starts to get "long".

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What software are you using to make the tooling paths?

One of my friends from high school's dad owns MasterCAM. I've been to their offices a few times and raced the go karts they have that they run for fun when the day starts to get "long".
I used to teach shop owners mastercam.

I would love to have the hookup on some software if that can be arranged. :D
Using some old versions now since the new licenses are soo expensive. Think basemodel new 9-3. :(

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I used to teach shop owners mastercam.

I would love to have the hookup on some software if that can be arranged. :D
Using some old versions now since the new licenses are soo expensive. Think basemodel new 9-3. :(
I'll look into it, him and I have lost touch but usually see each other maybe once a year during xmas time. I know that the owner, Mark Summers, would also do trades and whatnot. He supplied some bike shop software and would get a ton of free mountain/road bikes and what not. I know it's not cheap at all. That family pays the highest taxes in my hometown and for a reason. They are very well off.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mark hit me up off line.

Arrived 7.30am Got it in, setup leveled etc and making parts by tonight. ;)
Couple small issues with it but overall much nicer than my old one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts