Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone check your local junkyards for me cause im lookin for a 2.3T motor with 100k or less miles to swap into my car or even a 2.0T will work thatnks

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
You'd do better to sell your car and buy a turbo. You're in for a world of hurt if you attempt an engine swap between N/A and turbo vehicles.

In addition to the engine, you'd need:

Intercooler
IC hoses
ECU
New wiring harness, preferably from the donor car engine.
New dash, preferably from the donor car.

I put a turbo engine into a turbo car it it was rough enough....

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
mike saunders said:
You'd do better to sell your car and buy a turbo. You're in for a world of hurt if you attempt an engine swap between N/A and turbo vehicles.

In addition to the engine, you'd need:

Intercooler
IC hoses
ECU
New wiring harness, preferably from the donor car engine.
New dash, preferably from the donor car.

I put a turbo engine into a turbo car it it was rough enough....
Not true - if you find a good turbo car there is a good chance MOST of that will be there as well - take it all! And why a new dash???? Do you mean gauge cluster? Even if it's there there is no NEED for a turbo cluster as far as I know - just use an aftermarket boost gauge instead. I can't possible see this being any tougher to do then a c900....

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
Not true - if you find a good turbo car there is a good chance MOST of that will be there as well - take it all! And why a new dash???? Do you mean gauge cluster? Even if it's there there is no NEED for a turbo cluster as far as I know - just use an aftermarket boost gauge instead. I can't possible see this being any tougher to do then a c900....
Good point about getting most of what you need from the turbo donor car, and you're totally right about the gauge cluster.

But...finding a whole hit-in-the-rear Saab NG900 SE or 9-3 with a basically intact front end is EXTREMELY tough (I've been looking for an oil cooler and hoses from a 9-3 for about seven weeks, called junkyards as far away as Arizona....)

Let's talk money: he's looking for a 2.3T or a 2.0T. I'm assuming he used big T because he wants a full-pressure turbo engine like in the Viggen, 00-02 9-3 SE, or the 9000 CSE or Aero.

A good Viggen engine will cost in the neighborhood of $2,000-$2,500. A bare core might be on the low side. An almost complete 9-3 2.0T engine, with turbo, can be had for about $1,200-$1,500 depending on miles. Less if it's just the core. A 9000 HPT with low miles, and again, almost complete, is almost impossible to find. They're usually snapped up by 9000 guys.

Remember, unless you know the exact pedigree of the car, and that it was running up to the second it was hit, or still runs, you're gambling. Factor in wiring harness (if still available), ECU, IC, plumbing, etc, and you're

He can probably sell his 96 S for about $2,000.

He can get a decent 97 SET, whole car, maybe a little over 100K miles, for about $3,000. Less for a 96 with higher miles.

So, if J saves up some dough, sells his car and uses the proceeds for a turbo, he doesn't have the hassle of an engine swap. Time is money.

And an engine swap in a C900 is vastly easier than the NG900 because:

* NG900 has minimal clearance on all four sides and requires you to raise the car to drop the engine and tranny out. With the C900, you just take off the hood and attach the cherry picker and it's away you go. (Of course, don't forget the speedo cable like I did and raise the entire car a foot off the ground.....DOH! :x )

* Subframe removal and re-installation on the C900 is a walk in the park. The ridiculously huge one on the NG900 has six bolts of three different lengths and diameters, and getting the rear ones to line up is a royal PITA. I cry every time I think of my sweet old 86 900T, with the ground effects kit, totalled in an accident while PARKED!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
out this way ng's are poping up everywhere and to find an un-wrecked one is not rare. There was a 95 ng900 S the other week in the yard - intact minus the interior. Had a nice bumper and a COMPLETE engine. I't's only a matter of time before you see the turbo's in the yards at this point - I give them 6 months to a year. Keep your eye out - and those prices are too much :lol: :p

·
Registered
222 Posts
Burns, if you are going to the J yard I could use the driver side A pillar as well as a power seat knob. I would appreciate it big time.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just found a '99 9-5 2.3T dark green 81k miles in CT 1 1/2hrs from me for $6grand w00t

1 - 10 of 10 Posts