Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I'm new to the site, but have had my 2001 9-3 SE for a few years now - LOVE IT! Hoping for some help from the experts!
Recently started getting what I now know are the usual symptoms of a bad DI Cassette: Rough cold starting, CEL on intermittently. Anyway, took it to my local shop (not a dealership) who diagnosed it was the "ignition coil". I agreed to have it replaced. When I drove it home today, it seemed to run ok, but lacked some acceleration, and herd an engine knock at one point. Before, the car was very quick, and in "sport" mode was quick to downshift and accelerate. Now, it's like there's no difference between sport mode and regular mode.
When I opened the hood at home, I noticed the DIC is now the red one, where before it was the black one. Seems like a few discussions on this, and everything I've read points to my car needing the black one.
Anyone ever had a problem with a performance decline after replacing the DIC??
Thank you very much for any help!

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Do not drive it any more! Call the shop ask for your money back kick the tech in the face. They sold you the wrong DI. The DI they sold you is more expensive and for t5. You have a t7 car that is black. T5 is red.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
yep that tech is a grade A dumbass

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow - thanks for the info. Can I drive it 10 miles back to the shop, or am I risking serious damage?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have a black one for sale for cheap, where are you?

They really did screw the pooch on this one. 2001 is definitely a black DIC.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I wouldn't drive it at all, use a different car or get a ride

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Make sure they didn't put in any of those Autolite or Champion or other hillbilly spark plugs either....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yeah, you will damage your car if you run the red DIC in a t7. Idiots.

Make sure you get the shop to replace give them hell. That's a seriously stupid error. Make sure you get the proper plugs as well.

Also get you old DIC back to have as a spare. If the car ran on it, then you can still use it in emergencies, like say taking it back to the garage now...

·
Registered
5 Posts
do you still have that black DIC? I need one for 2002 saab 9-3 turbo 2.0 (I think saab part number is 55559955, or 55562588?) with shipping to Torrance, CA 90505 - please call me with your price @ 310/750-5162 - thanks

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Do not drive the car at all. You will melt a hole in your piston. You MUST run a black DIC.

Whoa, Another bad mechanic story :th_thumbsdownsmiley.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts