Saab Link Forums banner

New daily driver, '00 Lightning Blue Viggen 5-door.

8K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  mike saunders 
#1 ·
I actually picked this up a little while back. Figured I'd snap a few pics before the snows go on. Unfortunately they're just a few driveway pics, artsy photos may have to wait until the spring...

Like the title says, it's an '00 in the relatively rare LB 5-door variant.
Just turned 212k, barely has any rust. Driver's seat needs some attention, and there's a few dings here and there. Have a few more things planned for it, nothing crazy. Jack point cover is on order... Mod list as it stands now:

Nordic Stage 3 ECU
GS V1 DP to SaabSport with Viggen tip
GS Intake
GS Steering rack clamp and brace
GS 22mm ARB
GS 6-point brace
Eibach/Bilstein combo

See less See more
#4 ·
in the words of Jeremy Clarkson: "sweeeeeeet!!!!"

Love it man, 5 door viggen is pretty rare isn't it? Loving the smoke black rims. Are they the 9-5 Aero rims? pre 2010 but post 2002? the GM 9-5 Aero?

nice ride!!

#5 ·
Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it.

Love it man, 5 door viggen is pretty rare isn't it? Loving the smoke black rims. Are they the 9-5 Aero rims? pre 2010 but post 2002? the GM 9-5 Aero?

nice ride!!
It is my understanding that is is quite rare, which as much as I wanted to deny it, played a part in my decision to acquire the car. In my travels, I can only recall seeing one other in person, and maybe a half a dozen in pictures from around the US.

The wheels were actually originally found on '03 9-3 Convertibles with the Sport Package, and were also available as a dealer option for '03 9-5 Arcs (though the two actually had different part numbers and slightly different finishes). I picked them up a few years back and had them painted. They've held up quite nicely, though come spring I have different wheel plans for this car...

#9 ·
Thank you. I've actually been feeling bad because I've neglected the black car since the Fall Festival in Albany. It won't leave the garage again until the spring, but I still need to get it all prepped for winter hibernation. I thought this was a cool shot, albeit a bit on the dark and blurry side...

#14 ·
I actually had been looking really hard for a '99 9-3 5-spd when this came up. The sellers asking price was quite reasonable, and even after a fairly extensive engine refresh, I feel like I got a good deal.

Where are the areas this car is exhibiting small rust spots?
They're there, you do have to look closely. The biggest concern is on the front edge of the hood on the passenger side. Then there's some small spots in the usual areas, rear door bottoms, bottom edge of the trunk, etc. Don't get me wrong, the car is in amazing shape considering it's age/mileage, but it was a driver for it's previous owner, and it will be a driver for me as well.

more pictures of the black one please!
OK, why not?
Here's a few from this year...

Springtime in Sweden 2010 Amherst, NH

Carlisle 2010 Carlisle, PA

SOC 2010 Aurora, OH

Swedish Car Day 2010 Brookline, MA

Saab Fall Festival 2010 Albany, NY

#18 ·
Thank you. I agree, the color matches the trim almost dead on. While I'm not usually a fan of color matched grilles, I would consider it with this car. Unfortunately, the father of a good friend of mine painted them at a former place of employment. He asked me what color I wanted, and mixed it up himself. While it wouldn't be impossible to match it, it likely wouldn't be the same...

did you pick the LB up in RI by any chance? Nice winter/driver/utility car all around. Nice pick up
Thanks Matt. No, I actually picked it up in MA, but yes, I do believe you have seen this car in RI at least once...

Sweet! I loved your black 3dr two years ago at Carlisle, very nice.
Thank you Christian, that is certainly a compliment coming from someone who clearly has an eye for black cars.

#22 ·
I've been meaning to update this thread for a while. I've been adding a few things for the car here and there, GS intake pipe, ETS intercooler, and a couple other odds and ends. The biggest change is I picked up a set of 17x8 RKs for pretty cheap and had them refinished. Here they are (and the car), at Carlisle this year with 225/45 Michelin Pilots mounted on them.

#29 ·
Thank you much Sally. From the looks of your avatar, right back at ya.

Car sucks ;) Not even going into the price you paid for it either. SOC, SCD, and Albany again. Guess you have to make decisions on which car goes where.
Thanks JD... I think? :p

As far as which one goes where:
SOC=black Viggen
SCD=both
Albany (if it happens...)=maybe both if I can rope someone into driving one, if not, black Viggen...

#37 ·
why on Gods green earth did you take off the Double Y's, and put on the same friggin' BBS wheels everyone else already has!??
Well, for a few reasons:
1 - 17x8" instead of 17x7"
2 - 35 et instead of 40something et
3 - 17ish lbs instead of 20something lbs
4 - 225/45s instead of 215/45s

Were you tired of your car looking awesome, and you wanted to take it down a notch?
Hah, well that's subjective, but in my opinion, I was tired of my '99 SE looking less awesome and wanted to take it up a notch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.