Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i made another cai out of left over intercooler piping from the spg and heres what i came up with. Im very pleased with the performance sound, i dont know if i would say that its a real hp gain but it opened up and let the eginge breathe easier and cooler air. So here ya go

i wanted to take pics of teh cai out of the car but i got to anxious to put it in, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
What'd you end up doing with the crank breather hose, etc? Make a fitting on the new setup?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what i did was used a uni-bit to the correct size and cut the rubber bushing off the stock inlet pipe and placed that into pipe then pushed the pipe inot place it seems to be holding right now, but i'm not 100% i like how that is working. I may just end up going with a catch can and run that coolant line for the throttle body warmup seperate. I also did the same procedure for the bpv recirc and the BPC nipple.

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
Nice.

My advice...get rid of the bs crank vent hose and tb preheater altogether and run a catch tank. My car runs so much smoother w/o all that extra bs.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
You could probably find a way to continue running with the pre-heater. That or run two different setups. One for spring/summer without it and fall/winter with it. You could do that and still run a catch can.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Mcrowley, can you post a pic of your setup, id love to ditch that damn TB preheater and that stupid brittle breather line that i have replaced 3 times in the last 6 months.
JP

·
Registered
12,348 Posts

Either cap or weld the water line to the turbo and plug the bottom hose from the tb that goes back behind the head & engine block. The crank vent you can just run to an oil catch can.

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
Turbo water line:

TB water line behind head/block:

I actually cut part of the hose off so it wasn't as visible.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
that engine bay looks sick. where could i buy a catch can and the hose for this setup. ohh, and where would you suggest buying those plugs..

just started polishing my NA intake and Inlet pipe...
JP

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
catch can you can get from ebay at a rpetty good price and the caps you can get at a napa or some type of auto parts store.

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
Yeah, those rubber caps are just vaccum caps you can get at any auto parts store. The tb barbs you can actually leave open since there won't be any coolant going through the tb when you remove the hose. I just capped them for aesthetic reasons :)

For plugging the coolant line by the tb I bought a 1/2" lag bolt, cut the threads off (coolant will get past threads), and ground down the sharp edges.

edit- The hose is just 1/2" hi-press braided pvc hose available at any store that sells plumbing parts.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
well i just bought the pipe for my intake and a big ass filter and i need to install a catch can...im prolly gonna go with this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Univ...yZ133200QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

now how do i intall it? i know that mcrowleys is off the battery and i see the braided pvc hose but like on the catch can there are so many "nipples"....can someone just tell me exactly what i need to do....because i think i am gonna order the catch can tomorrow and i plan do install the intake and can at the same time......

mcrowley....help.....:-?

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
I just welded the 90* bracket to the battery tray to mount the can.

The two barbs on the top...one will connect to the valve cover (1/2" braided hi-pres. pvc is what I used), 2nd barb you can put a breather filter on like I did or run a second hose back to the intake for vaccum scavenge.

Side of the can...sight glass will go in two spots and the drain will be at the bottom. Its simple.

Also, add some sort of baffling to the inside of the can if it doesn't have any. I used 1/2 a steel wool pad.

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
Catch can collects oil, moisture, blowby gasses, etc that normally would circulate back into the intake and through the compressor housing, ic, etc.

By eliminating that you keep all your intake plumbing nice and clean, plus that gunk can actually lower the octane of the fuel you're trying to burn.

edit-See this thread for catch can info: http://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22205&page=2

·
Registered
74 Posts
do you have to cap off the tb hoses and the turbo water line? it seems like that dosent really correspond with the catch can. and what would doing all that to the tb and turbo do?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
do you have to cap off the tb hoses and the turbo water line? it seems like that dosent really correspond with the catch can. and what would doing all that to the tb and turbo do?
Well for me....Im tryna avoid as much drilling into my intake as possible...Also from what Mcrowley tells me....the car runs a lot better (at least for us TCS people) without that hot coolant rushing through....

the turbo water line is just a return line from what i know....

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
The oem crankcase breather that dumps back into the intake is actually a hose within a hose. The blowby gasses/oil junk is heated by the hot coolant to prevent the hose from sludging up. Coolant flows from the tb outlet through the hose and returns to the water line down by the turbo. It doesn't affect the turbo in any way by capping off that line.

When you run the catch can setup, the whole two hose setup becomes redundant.

...and yes, the car does run a lot better w/o all that hot coolant circulating thru the throttle body. You really don't need the tb heater at all unless you're driving around up in the Arctic Circle or something. I'll admit I was initially skeptical about removing it, but Paul from Automotion said Frank (yes that Frank) has no problems in the winter months in Sweden. My advice...get rid of all that extra bs plumbing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts