Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The story:
I just finished putting a 9-3 trans, hydro conversion, aluminum flywheel, Viggen pressure plate and GS 6 puck in my 97 'Dega.

I replaced both diff bushings in the trans and also flushed the gear box afterwords.

Properly bled the slave and master per WIS instructions and tips on this forum.

Idle's nice and smooth, I'd say even smoother then before even though I have two poly mounts and the diesel rear mount.

The issue:
Starting from a stop in 1st and reverse sucks and makes some weird noises. I have actually stalled numerous times trying to get going. In the past I think I have only stalled once and I have had the car for 5+ years.

The noise is hard to explain. I wouldn't call it grinding or chatter but it's close. Part of me wants to believe it will go away as the clutch breaks in but the other parts thinks I must have done something wrong and don't want to drive it anymore for fear of messing something up.

Pedal pressure is positive. No weird vibrations once I'm going and she's smooth as silk changing the gears. I do think I get some chatter the first few times I engage 2nd from 1st.

Do I just need to erase everything I knew about driving this car due to all the changes I just made?

Any ideas or tips?

TIA

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i dont have this clutch setup i do however have one from spec that makes this wierd noise when taking off at to low an rpm

i think its the 6 puck disk, and you may just need to get used to it

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seriously? That's kind of scary. The noise is definitely not a good noise. Although I figured if I did install anything wrong, then it probably wouldn't work at all or it would be a lot more apparent.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
What kind of material does the 6 puck use? I remember doing a stage 2 Competition Clutch on my turbo accord...The first 500-700 miles of break in were kind of tricky. The clutch just seemed to grab immediately (b/c it was a fresh clutch and different material for the disc). After, everything returned to normal. Maybe your new clutch just grips very easily for the same reasons making it harder to start from a stop. I have heard of 6pucks having chatter issues on other makes...might just be something to deal with.

If it's that bad, maybe you can call nick at GS and see what he has to say.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of material does the 6 puck use? I remember doing a stage 2 Competition Clutch on my turbo accord...The first 500-700 miles of break in were kind of tricky. The clutch just seemed to grab immediately (b/c it was a fresh clutch and different material for the disc). After, everything returned to normal. Maybe your new clutch just grips very easily for the same reasons making it harder to start from a stop. I have heard of 6pucks having chatter issues on other makes...might just be something to deal with.

If it's that bad, maybe you can call nick at GS and see what he has to say.
Website says "6-Puck ceremetallic disk"

whats the sound like? My vig's been sorta howling/whining on engagement at times. I was thinking it was the input shaft bearing......
It's hard to explain, almost like jamming a solid object into another spinning object. Like Swede said, it's just like it grabs immediately, like does not slip at all.

If I'm on flat, level ground and just slowly let the clutch out and don't hit the gas, it's fine. Unfortunetly NJ doesn't have too many flat spots where I live.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Yes a metallic disk will make more noise and harsher engagement. To hold the Tq without excessive pedal pressure that will hurt the thrust bearings and slave the friction material has to be more aggressive. Its just like brake pads. Track pads are not best for the street. Factory pads not best for the track.. ;) The hub springs are alos stiffer so that changes the gearbox rattle frequency. The stiffer springs are to match the friction material so they don't windup and chatter worse on takeoff. The metallic doesn't want to slip.

Make sure to give it a few hundred miles of break-in at low power or you can glaze the disk. That make more issues down the road.

On the Saab F25 there is no input shaft pilot bearing to center/support the shaft. If the gearbox is loose that can make more noise. In an extreme case if your "honda" friend rebuilds the gearbox without enough preload on the input shaft it allows the shaft to oscillate around int he bearing causing the center of the disk to be torn up. I have seen two of these in the last 10 years. One spec one clutchnet.

We have these disks in all the cars here for testing long before we offered them for sale. Jak sold them for years also. The best part is that with the spec we had a 50% failure rate! The new ones we have sold twice as many even in the short time and one failure. ;) The part was inspected for material hardness etc. I gave up on goodwill when cust started screaming and cussing. But when his mom called... I can post the phone recording if needed. ;) Pretty funny actually.

But the same clutch we use the 400whp 2.3L cars is a bit much for a stg3 2.0 where a Viggen clutch would be much better. On the other hand. 2.3 with a 3076 is pushing the limits of a single disk ;) The new twin disk metallic in the drag car is pretty fun. the pedal modulation is about 2mm long. revs dip and the 205 tires squeal and you haven't moved the foot, just thought about it. You know the parts we run are what I put in my cars here and treat the customer cars as mine. I went through so many of the clutches in my viggen.. The memorable one was the hub failed on a spec after 2,00 miles and while waiting on the towtruck it started hailing and tornado sirens, all after breaking up with girlfriend on my birthday!! Don't want to repeat that.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to be straight Nick. I wasn't blaming your product for a second. I was blaming my shade tree, weekend mechanic skills. ;) I have nothing but praise to speak for the products you develop and sell.

I figured I just needed to go find an empty parking lot and practice, I was just worried about glazing the disc or damaging something. If I still can't stand it after break in I'll just put the Vig disc in.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
How did your clutch bleeding go? sounds like how my clutch was after a certain shop did the master cyl. Does it engage closer to the floor and thud anytime you take off from a stop?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No thud that I can recall. Followed proper WIS procedures for bleeding the new slave on the bench and for bleeding the new master in the car. It does not engage closer to the floor.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I have had 2 customers with SPEC clutches that chatter a lot if you don't get on it hard at launch.

They quieted down a little with some miles, but they won't be as quiet as a stocker.

Drew

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldn't classify it as chatter. I hear the chatter when I let off the gas in a higher gear. I don't care about the noise. I care about the drivability.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Okay. Something else I thought of is maybe that aluminum flywheel? I thought those were discontinued due to a quality control issue...Maybe that's changed now? But I would expect that taking off from a stop would be a bit more awkward with a flywheel that's around half the weight of an OE one, especially if this alum. one is one of the ones that is suffering from "quality control". Just a thought I guess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts