Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellooooooo out there. Here's my story. One of our neighbors, manages a Firestone here in the Atl area had a customer bring a 99 9-3S 5spd in for overheating. Car seems really clean with only 126K and no dents or dings. Clean cloth interior also. The shop replaced the top radiator hose and found that coolant was coming from up thru one of the cylinders. So basically probably a head gasket. The owner wanted to get rid of the car for cheap so now it's just a matter of making contact with him. So for the last week or so, I have been prowling around the board to fine as much information on changing the Head Gasket on the car. I found this link http://www.saabcentral.com/~munki/technical/engine/mechanical/cyl_head_removal.htm
which seems to be the only link regarding changing the Head Gasket. I've talked with Burnside by PM who has been a lot of help. My background is with Honda products as my last 3 cars were all Honda's...Civic, Accord and Legend. I did a engine replacement on the Civic, a H22 swap on the Accord and replaced the Timing Belt/Water Pump on the Legend V6. Looking for advice and information with removing the Cylinder Head and specifically Cam Sprocket and Intake manifold and any other areas that may be difficult. I plan on sending the head out to a machine shop to be cleaned and resurfaced.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. I talked with the mechanic that worked on the initial hose and he said from talking with the owner, that he had apparently put in some work on the car recently and was tired of putting money into it and wanted to cut losses. I could tell that there was a brand new shifter link installed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I'm getting closer. I gave the money to the shop manager. She talked with the owner yesterday and hopefully by this afternoon I will have the title in hand.:D
Any body ever took the head off of a B204L? Looking for all the advice I can get.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Head gasket is pretty easy. Just remove the head with intake and exhaust manifold still attached to the head. lift, clean, machine if you think it neads it, replace.

Cake.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
LOL, Poison that sounds soooo simple and Burnside has said the same thing. So when do I loosen the cam sprocket bolts before or after the tension is loosen? Also once the sprocket is off what do I do with the chain to prevent from falling? Support the chain?
UPDATE
Spoke with the shop manager yesterday and the story was that once the hose was replaced the car would not start. So they took the cassette off and then one of the spark plugs. When the mechanic took the spark plug off coolant shot out of the cylinder head. Ironically, when I was there last Wednesday, I checked the oil and it was clean. Now I don't know if it was clean because the engine had not been ran again since the initial overheating or what, but the oil was clear and rather clean actually.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FYI - see if the machine shop if operated by say, NAPA - can do the work "off the books" for less (cash) b/c that is how I have had 90% of all my work done. Who needs a reciept anyway if it wll save you $150 or more :)
You know, there is a NAPA not too far from me that has a machine shop. So they would be able to clean and deck the head? Never thought about them for jobs like this.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Well depending on how the HG is blown it can blow coolant in to the cylinder with out really mixing with the oil.

I usually just tie the chain up so it doesnt fall too far in. How many miles on this one? You may consider replacing the TC if it is getting up there. You remove the tensioner first, then the cams. After pulling a few heads it does get easier...

Also, even if the engine was toast, 150 bucks is a darn good deal. Find a 500$ engine and you have a 650$ 9-3.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Well depending on how the HG is blown it can blow coolant in to the cylinder with out really mixing with the oil.

I usually just tie the chain up so it doesnt fall too far in. How many miles on this one? You may consider replacing the TC if it is getting up there. You remove the tensioner first, then the cams. After pulling a few heads it does get easier...

Also, even if the engine was toast, 150 bucks is a darn good deal. Find a 500$ engine and you have a 650$ 9-3.
Unless the car had chain noise or the guides are worn - I don't just replace the chain... I had 280K on my 87' when the HG went - I didn't replace the chain (then again it looked as if it may have been done before) and it was fine until I retired it @ 314K due to rust.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Car only has 126K on the clock. I did think about going that route Poison. I found one on Ebay for $680 and thought about putting in myself. So the cam will not turn when I try to loosen the sprocket bolt?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
It can and will. You could put a wrench on the other end of the cam (17mm?).

Whats the big deal if it turns, just make sure timing is re-set right.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL. I had a ordeal with the Legend timing belt. I went to put the belt back on and was unable to the way the book listed it. In the process I ended up getting the two cams out of sync. Luckily, I thought about everything and turned the crank and left bank cam alternately and got it lined up close. I know I'm asking alot of questions but I like to make sure I can do this with none of you guys around, lol.

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
welcome to the club.

First rule of TSL is to drink beer while surfing the forum.

Second rule of TSL is don't piss off Palmer he has some blood pressure issues

Third rule is rag on jokesters like viggenluca and raul

PS don't do stupid shit or you will never live it down we are good like that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts