Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

'78 240DL 4spd manual, manual steering, manual windows. It does have power brakes, i think thats about it. Body is surprisingly solid, and it made it back 200 miles from baltimore, so I can't complain much, but it did get 13mpg. Its got some fuel injection problem I need to track down. Should make a good winter beater.

Paul

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yeah I nearly bought a 4 door turbo recently, but it was at an auction and they thought it was worth $1500, and I disagreed. This one was on ebay for $800, I offered $500 and he took it, so that was hard to pass up. I've got an extra megasquirt box that might work its way into this car along with a turbo though...

Paul

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that's a bitchin deal.

I'd imagine suspension on these cars, stock, is pretty squishy and buickish? Can they be made to handle? (ie, are bilsteins or konis or coilover kits available?)
well, this particular one has a blown strut in the front, so handling is horrible. That said its still worlds better than my mercedes 300td, but worse than my 99 by good measure. They can be made to handle pretty well from what i understand, I've always enjoyed the driftability (at least in the snow anyway). They sell lots and lots of suspension stuff for em, koni, and bilstein both make strut packages for em, and IPD (ipdusa.com) sells all sorts of braces and springs and sway bars for em. That said, I plan to spend as little money on this thing as possible, so junkyard suspension is probably gonna be the ticket.

Paul

·
Registered
800 Posts
Wow, I saw that on eBay and was pretty tempted myself, great find! My first car was a '79 242DL, I love the earlier 240s. It's cool that yours is a '78 since that was the last year for the neat flat taillights.

Keep us posted with the progress.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts