Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have for sale a brand new heater box for 9-5s.

I bought this at Carlisle last year at the vendor booth of Don F. Automotive as I knew my car needed some sort of fix. It's not every day you see heater boxes for a good price, so I jumped on it. Well fast forward 9 months and I finally got to inspecting the issue with my car. Turns out what was wrong were pieces all external to the box, so I didn't need to use it or any of its parts. I will say, it was EXTREMELY useful to be able to look at a box outside of the car as I went through diagnosing what was wrong with my car.

This box is complete with two stepped motors. eEuro sells this for $430, and they sell each stepper motor individually for $140. I'm simply trying to get my money back out of this purchase as I don't need it afterall.

I would prefer not to ship as this is a bit delicate. I will upon request, however.

See below for pictures:

·
7,595 Posts
If you don't mind me asking what ended up being the problem? Mine seems to have lost function of the hot / cold control. summer or winter, regardless of the position of the temperature digital display it blows luke warm air out of the lower dash vents, however I can get COLD air our of the right side vents, however on the driver side, ALL vents blow only luke warm all the time.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
It's almost always the little plastic actuator arms that the stepper motors move. There is a pretty good couple of writeups on TheSaabSite about it, as well as an update kit that replaces the plastic arms with aluminum ones.

Sometimes the driver's side one breaks and blocks the passenger side moving too, so you may only have a problem on one side rather than a separate problem on both.

Those vent boxes from the dealer are crazy expensive, $250 for a brand new one is a killer deal, I know used ones can sell for that much easy since they are such a royal PITA to get out of the car.

Drew

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I've installed Dosens of the left side flap, "requires that kit" Mild cutting and a Heat gun takes a days labor down to 45 minutes, Does that kit still have the yellow drive for the flap? I'll sell you all the boxes you want missing that one. He he.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
SaabSite makes two kits for the driver's side - one of them is to replace the broken yellow shaft, but you have to get the broken outer piece out first - I think it's pretty clever and pass the parts cost on to my customers who are very happy with how much less expensive it is than replacing the whole suitcase.

Those assemblies used to be like $800-$900 plus something like 14 hours labor at the dealer to change them out - I have heard horror stories of the $2300 quote to do the whole job.

If the flaps are all gummy or chewed up inside it may just break the new actuator arms anyway, they didn't really make it so that the moving parts inside could be easily lubricated, so I'm sure there are some cars out there that would benefit from getting the complete assembly swapped over.

I just don't want to be the one to do the job....

Drew

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it also is important to note that the heater box was updated with a VIN split in 2002. From all I have heard, newer cars are much less likely to have the issues. I of course had an early 2002 VIN. This box I'm selling is of the later design.

And for further clarification, the update occurring in 2002 allows a retrofit of the box to all prior year cars without any additional modification.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I did not know that, explains why I haven't had to wrestle around underneath an '02 or newer one yet though, that's good to know.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Interesting repair Harvey! Nice to see someone going "outside the box" and fixing them w/out complete removal. Will keep you in mind if ours ever gets that bad. I have a code currently - but it seems to work good enough still that I have not gone further then aknowledging the code. lol

Bump for stromers box

·
Registered
289 Posts
I did the kit arm repair about three years ago - sourced from UK if I recall correctly. It took me about 2 hours - mostly due to the uncomfortable lying position while working on the car. I even took out the drivers seat.

I can concur on the quality of this airbox from Carlisle. I spent about 20 min looking at this airbox out of curiosity as I had not seen one as a seperate part. It is new and in fine condition.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Another thread jack.

See in that photo. That little white arm on the end broke on my heater box on the drivers side. All I can find are photos like this where it's disassembled.

Can someone show me where this white arm is located on a completely assembled heater box? Is it possible to reach up in there and replace that white arm without removing or disassembling much?

Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.