Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
cool video. good looking 9-5. Imagine how much is written off for tests like these? At my company, we will test with a 10K dollar unit (retail) and then save the parts that wer OK if possible. I wonder if Saab does the same, like seats and wheels etc go back into another test mule, or production car.

Its funny how she spells out KPH from K/HR. It would sound funny in english if I did that for MPH. I wonder if they would spell it out in the native tongue too?

·
Registered
303 Posts
In many countries they spell it km/h.
In countries where we use kilometers we spell it (say it) like this: "kilometers per hour" but we write it like this: "km/h". If you show the "kph" to a European it'd take couple of tries to realize what it is (including me).

On the video, wasn't there a Mythbusters episode regarding the two vehicles crashing at 50mph each that eventually wouldn't sum up the speed to 100mph?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Official crash test video. 2 cars traveling at 60kph each, so really a hit at 120kph. All doors open afterwards, all passengers would live.

two objects hitting each other head on going 60 kph each equals one car hitting a brick wall at 60kph. It is NOT equal to hitting a wall at 120 kph.

Simple physics. I remember doing the math aand "frictionless" mini car track test with force meters.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
yea, mythbusters did a test like this except I think they used a kia or hyundia

60 (or somthing like that) mph into a wall vs 2 cars each traveling at 60mph going into each other. Finally a single car going into a wall at 100 or somthing like that.

physics is true.... 1 going into a wall at 60 does the same damage as 2 hitting each other at 120.

It was really cool when they put the car in the wall at 100+ or whatever it was

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
two objects hitting each other head on going 60 kph each equals one car hitting a brick wall at 60kph. It is NOT equal to hitting a wall at 120 kph.

Simple physics. I remember doing the math aand "frictionless" mini car track test with force meters.
Agreed. They had a closing speed of 120 km/h, but not an impact speed of effectively 120 km/h.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts