Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to drive one today. What a great ride. If you don't get into full power you can feel the weight of the car but to drop it to full throttle it guns all the way with the xwd. Highway in 6th even just 3/4 of throttle gets you to 100+ from 70 before you realize it.

The slats in the dash aren't as noticeable when you sit in the driver seat so it didn't bother me as it did looking at it in photos. Overall a fantastic ride.

Also the seats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best I've sat in. Trump the 9k recaro's and holds better then the viggen seats. Fun drive even without a clutch :(.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Tried one as well...have to say...while its a great, solid car...it seems a little "boring" to drive. Maybe a tad more understeer than I expected from XWD, but it definitely grips. Puts down the power pretty well. I definitely didnt think it was that fast, but its not a Honda Civic either. My BIG complaint was the "manual" shifting of the automatic. Its still sluggish...caused quite a bit of bouncing off the rev limiter. Moving to the interior. I really like the dash layout, but had some trouble figuring out the nav system. Very surprised the one I drove didnt have a sunroof. Felt very 9k Aero-ish, except with a little more room in each direction and quite a big more leg room for the rear passengers. However, the high belt line makes for small windows in the back.

I may have also raced a modded STi during my testdrive...hehehe...too bad I lost.

PS
I'm gonna disagree on the seats...still like the Recaros better, but they are better than the previous 9-5 by a very good margin.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't mind the lack of the sunroof actually. The "manual" shifting in the new 9-5 is faster than the 9-3 SS was. Test drove one of them as well. The nav system to me was easy to figure.

The new 9-5 feels as though its been truly revamped to meet the market they were going for hence the more "boring" feel. It hit the mark as a luxury cruiser in my book which I guess is what I'm looking for as the "other" car. I still have the viggen clone to play with.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
i think you should test a gs350/5 series/a6 and compare those.
i certainly would like to hear real-wold feedback from the $50,000 competition since you've already driven the saab.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
i havent driven it, but i it looks heavy.

and nothing makes power meaningless like weight. i am eagerly awaiting a manual trans

·
Registered
103 Posts
Saab North American HQ is about 5 min from my house, yet there are no new 9-5's to be found anywhere in the Detroit Metro area. Still waiting to see one.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
i think you should test a gs350/5 series/a6 and compare those.
i certainly would like to hear real-wold feedback from the $50,000 competition since you've already driven the saab.
Drives better than the a6, rides nicer too IMO. New 5 series (535i, most comparable model) is still dynamically superior and faster, and nicer inside. In fairness though the 5er that i drove was RWD.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Drives better than the a6, rides nicer too IMO. New 5 series (535i, most comparable model) is still dynamically superior and faster, and nicer inside. In fairness though the 5er that i drove was RWD.
It's also easy to spend $65-75k on the new 5 series.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
It's also easy to spend $65-75k on the new 5 series.
It is amazing that you can literally option up the new 5 series to $92,000. I finally looked at the new 9-5 this weekend and felt that it was definately inline with the model hierarchy in that it is an upscale sedan that should be more sedate and luxerious. Once all the interior surfaces are finally laid out in their true form, it will be a really cool place to spend time!

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
It is amazing that you can literally option up the new 5 series to $92,000. I finally looked at the new 9-5 this weekend and felt that it was definately inline with the model hierarchy in that it is an upscale sedan that should be more sedate and luxerious. Once all the interior surfaces are finally laid out in their true form, it will be a really cool place to spend time!
Yeah I saw it yesterday. They said I could drive it whenever I want and we were both in agreement in how LARGE it is, but he claimed it drove much smaller.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
otd, both the saab and a6 will prolly be closer to 45k anyways, while the bmw will be tough to find one near the 50k level. here in miami, bmw just doesnt stock cars that are base. audi offers the greatest lease deals.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts