Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sooo I was driving in a snow storm & my car spun out.
Hit the front end pretty bad, rad is probably cracked cause it was leaking under,
front bumper there but fell off completely.
The headlights etc smashed, grill, smashed, engine is fine
I have brand new tires & used rims on it that I just put on recently... (under 5k)
still have old rims & tires but tires no good
sport exhaust from & including flexpipe ( quiet ),and lowering springs. New rear rotors, Machined front rotors, Fairly new rear breaks...
new battery
sound system (6x speakers & 12" sub + 600w amp)

One way insurance, no coverage.
Place where the car is cuz of crook'd cops is some dude whos holding it for $30 a day.
The man offered me $300 tops for it and said by the time i could come down to pick it up etc etc. basically wants me to just give it to him.

I'm a student & this car was my life & life line.
Now i'm pretty much screwed cuz i live on my own and doing everything i need to do in one day without a car is not possible.

I could part the car out cuz engine is fine & I got all those extra parts.
But getting a tow to where I am would cost $250-300. + I have nowhere to store it...

I could part with it if I could take the parts I want.. like the rims/tires/system/exhaust but idk how ill get the damn exhaust off...

or I could say... fuck it and just give up the car, pretend like I never had it pickup my plates and leave.

I have exams in school now and am losing time off work due to this situation on an already tight budget.

Any advice/help/opinions/options would really help me out
thank u.

·
Registered
859 Posts
any friends or family in the area? can you keep it where you live? parts shouldnt be that much to replace whats wrong but i could be wrong.

if you decide to part out id like the lowering springs

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Get the car out and try getting it to your residence... borrow some money and replace the rad,headlights,grill(which im sure can be found for under 200 total) and drive as is until you can repair the rest..

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$350 for tow
$400 to get my car
~$800 to get the car back BEFORE repairs since its in middle of nowhere where I crashed.

+ Repairs.. I don't see this happening nor worth stress + money.

I think I should get rims + sound system & leave the rest...
cuz exhaust is welded on i cant get that shit off...
then the springs, omfg good luck getting springs out

I guess I'll have to start at ground zero again...

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
400 to get it out? how long ago did this happen?Theres plenty of ways of rigging something up to tow a car with(have anyone with a suv or truck?)
$350 for tow
$400 to get my car
~$800 to get the car back BEFORE repairs since its in middle of nowhere where I crashed.

+ Repairs.. I don't see this happening nor worth stress + money.

I think I should get rims + sound system & leave the rest...
cuz exhaust is welded on i cant get that shit off...
then the springs, omfg good luck getting springs out

I guess I'll have to start at ground zero again...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this happened man, good luck with whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
183 Posts
get AAA for like $45 or whatever it is now, you get free tows within a certain distance, and then discounts for farther distances. rent a car dolly from uhaul or flat bed from a rental agency and borrow and suv or turck, or rent one. I towed my viggen 300 miles on a flatbed with a friends tahoe and the trailer cost $45 to rent for the day, call around. Get a new radiator and headlights from a salvage yard for around $200 or less and have the place where your car is install them, or you could even install them yourself in the yard and limp the car home and figure out the plan for the rest of the repairs. $30 a day for holding a car isn't actually that much, but try to make a deal with them, just let them know you need the car back and you can give them $100 cash or something. There are lots of options, you can figure something out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
AAA gives you a free 15 miles of towing and then its $3 a mile for every mile after 15. If you could give us some idea of the distance we could offer some more advice. Not sure how quickly you need to do all this, but a friend just picked up a parts car, I'm headed over now to see what he wants for those parts (and my own). Crooked cops, in Canada?

Edit: American Automobile Association.... Do they have that in Canada?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I live in the heart of crooked low down and expensive politics and even here a flatbed for like 40 miles is about $100.

How about one of those U-Haul deals hooked to a pals car?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I live in the heart of crooked low down and expensive politics and even here a flatbed for like 40 miles is about $100.

How about one of those U-Haul deals hooked to a pals car?
I did this with my NG. Not too bad, but make sure you have a way planned to get it up on the tow dolly if it doesn't run. 4 guys pushing won't do it :/

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Careful with a tow dolly in winter. That car behind you is HEAVY, zero braking, and always wants to go straight no matter where you want to go. It's real easy to end up with 2 wrecked cars

·
Registered
913 Posts
I did this with my NG. Not too bad, but make sure you have a way planned to get it up on the tow dolly if it doesn't run. 4 guys pushing won't do it :/
1/2 ton lever type hoist

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
1/2 ton lever type hoist
We didn't have something like that available, unfortunately. We used some tow straps that were only rated for something like 2000 lbs...it was a frightening experience.

·
Registered
369 Posts
How about jacking it up with a 4 inchX 4 inch "tie" across/behind the front wheels (with two spacer blocks), to get around the hanging stuff like exhaust or something, and then just place/back the dolly up to it and lower it down?

It would take two jacks and some talent which leaves me out. :D

Sounds weird but it's just a plank spanning the underside of the car. Rear wheels chocked of course.

Actually when you think this through, screw the lumber and just slowly raise it on two ... my choice would be floor jacks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys
I've been so sad cuz of this... feels like losing a family member :(
I'm going in tommorow after an exam to assess the damage and go from there
Most likely stripping tires/rims/exhaust(if i can)/sound system, and getting the fuck out of there.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went & stripped my baby.
Got the rims, sound system, and new battery.
Hope that fucking scammer chokes.
Had to pay $300 to get to my car.

Anyways, I'll be posting up the rims in the forums later on...
if anybodys interested just shoot me a msg.

<3 RIP SAABrina.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts