Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
hmmmm......

MY spg has this issue, but i think thats because moving the window up and down is scratching the tint.

I will look into this, i have no idea where to get new glass, but i know someone who might know
JP

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmm......

MY spg has this issue, but i think thats because moving the window up and down is scratching the tint.

I will look into this, i have no idea where to get new glass, but i know someone who might know
JP
It has happened to almost all of mine. I usually pull out the clips that hold the weather strip ion the door. that's what does it, but it was fine, then it only took one time the catch the clip I thought i had already taken it out. I guess i missed one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey Paul,

I have the same issue. Most likely, I'll try and pick up a decent pair at the local pick a part yard...

Good luck,

Jitters

·
7,595 Posts
Yes, those darn clips. 80's GM cars, and C-900 Saabs almost always start picking up these scratches eventually. There is actually a TSB about this that says when you replace the glass you should replace the clips with some that have the lower edge shaved down about 1/2 way. Once they wear through the rub strip felt, metal on glass contact causes these scratches.

On my 88 SPG when I replaced the glass I took out the window wipe strips and shaved the clips down in the grinder. Popped it all back together and installed the new glass, and it's been scratch free ever since. It's a shame something so simple caused such a widespread problem, but that's Saab for ya ;)

I would suggest getting some glass from your local U pull it. If you find a later car, or even just a car with low mileage there is pretty a good chance the glass is still good. When you install it, pop off your wipe strip and grind down the lower edge of the clips. You should be good for the rest of the cars life...

·
7,595 Posts
I could send you a set of good used 100% scratch free bronze tint glass for $90 each, though I'd want actual shipping charges too (probably about $40-50 for something that large and "oversize"). It would be "like new" though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
There is an 89 SPG in my local salvage yard. Let me know if you want me to get you some glass. Shipping would be from Florida 32168 :)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I could send you a set of good used 100% scratch free bronze tint glass for $90 each, though I'd want actual shipping charges too (probably about $40-50 for something that large and "oversize"). It would be "like new" though.
If you can get me a shipping price to 15701, then i'll let you know if i can swing it. I'd like to get them under $200 total if they are used. They would also have the be perfect, with no defects at all. I'm pretty picky about the details. lol

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is an 89 SPG in my local salvage yard. Let me know if you want me to get you some glass. Shipping would be from Florida 32168 :)
I'm really trying to find either perfect used ones or new, if they are perfect ,then let me know a price to get to 15701...

Someone suggested tooth paste to get rid of them, It didn't even come close to working the way i was doing it. Dam these scratches!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts