Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright everyone, I need some help here. I need new brakes, so here is what I know: Cross drilled rotors offer better initial grip and improved heat dissipation while slotted rotors provide a sort of "cleaning" of the brake pads by getting rid of the frictional material. So the best of both worlds would be to get both right? Well, I am not sure how much money I can spend but it isn't gonna be like a grand. So I guess I am looking for the best deal. I want quality stuff that will last me a while. Anyone have experience with either cross drilled, slotted or both? Can anyone recommend pads? Anyone have any prices that they paid or sites I could look at? I appreciate any help you guys give :)

Kyle

·
10,303 Posts
Here is what I did, and unfortunately since my caliper froze, am doing again. :roll:

EBC brake Pads, I ordered from the TireRack, but Taliaferro sells them too.
I ordered Zimmerman X drilled rotors, from www.thesaabsite.com
Also check www.Eeuroparts.com they seem to have a better caliper price, but not rotor. :roll:

And, again, I seem to be ordering these, along with a pass side caliper this time. If you drive on crapy northern roads, slathered with salt and sand, consider replacing your calipers if you have around 120k on the car.

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tweek. If cross drilled and slotted are too expensive (or I can't find any) and I had to choose between one or the other, should I go with cross drilled or slotted?

Kyle

·
10,303 Posts
dont know, people have argued this to death on central...they say the winner for braking is slotted actually. Claiming the wholes decrease friction surface area.

But I say, the help dissapate the gasses, that cause brake pad floating. Plus they look alot cooler than slotted. :wink:

·
Registered
140 Posts
i need some advice as well, because i have completely warped rotors because if i brake hard from 130 110 or whatever, the shit shakes like crazy. I have also had debates about slotted or cross drilled and its up for grabs.. shoudl i get brembo? zimmerman? and ebc pads? will it be worth it if i just burn em out again soon?

·
Registered
127 Posts
They guy at eEuroparts (Todd, I think?) has had lots of problems with EBC pads and the Zimmerman x-drilled rotors - so much so that he no longer sells the EBC pads, but recommends either the stock Pagid or Mintex pads. Apparently he had lots of customer complaints about warped rotors with this combination and EBC's attitude was less than customer-friendly.

EBC themselves don't sell/make x-drilled, but they do make a dimpled and slotted rotor that looks pretty cool. Unfortunately they only seem to have them for the front. I got this picture from the TireRack web site.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tweek's Turbos said:
I have had no problem from my combo at all. Minus the Saab caliper seizing :roll:
One of my rear calipers is starting to freeze - not looking forward to that one, let me tell ya....

(I HATE bleeding brakes)

·
10,303 Posts
Lemme guess its the pass side for some reason. I cant figure out why my front and back pass side calipers are toast. thats not even the side thats usually on the outside of a corner either.

·
Registered
745 Posts
hello all..., first timer here, and hope to offer some good feedback, from my several years of experience with SAABs.

KVR, and BREMBO recommend slotted for hard track driving, and cross-drilled for street.

Apparently track driving will have a tendency to cause cracking on the cross-drilled, but the slotted are great because they keep warm the brakes up very quickly, and provide a clean surface to bite on when braking. Of course this has a tendency to wear your pads quicker.

The cross-drilled cool the rotors better, and vent the brake dust better than slotted. Generally good on street applications, and some say extend the life of the pads, and rotor.

I've heard a few horror stories about stress cracks on the cross-drilled types, and the increase wear on slotted. Although like many, I was also torn between the two...so now i'm looking at larger rotor area and 4-piston caliper systems.

Check out SAAB Savior some time.

DC

·
Registered
140 Posts
any ideas on what i should do?

·
Registered
745 Posts
saab4life Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:01 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

any ideas on what i should do?
Hmmm sounds kinda open ended....you could buy my brake system for me....kidding :D

[/quote]

saab4life Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:04 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i need some advice as well, because i have completely warped rotors because if i brake hard from 130 110 or whatever, the shit shakes like crazy. I have also had debates about slotted or cross drilled and its up for grabs.. shoudl i get brembo? zimmerman? and ebc pads? will it be worth it if i just burn em out again soon?

[/quote]

Warped rotors sounds like your definately doing some hard braking. Maybe you could just "slow your roll"...., naa that won't do. Look into KVR's brake system for a 4-piston type using. Expensive at $2500 for the complete system, but will definately stop you. Of course the larger rotor, they provide will definately improve braking with more area to bite, but bigger wheels might be called for.

good luck..

·
Registered
140 Posts
2500$ is outta the question .. i'm thinking for along the lines of Zimmerman rotos and some EBC pads for total of liek 200-250$ i just wanna know what the best combo is? as far as full brake systems.. i'd rather be able to go fast and not be able to stop LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts