Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pic of my new to me 2000 Viggen. $400! Previous owner decided to give up fixing it. Wasn't a Saab guy and just wanted it out of his driveway. :-D Put strut housings, rims/tires, motor mounts, headlamp and other odds and ends into it. Now, the fog lamps are busted,so are the mounts on the bumper. I hate fog lamps anyway. Never use them. I'd just smash them up the first time I autocross it. I need ideas for covering or blocking the holes. I don't want to use the right side for engine air intake since I know I'm going to have to drive through puddles and rain storms out here in New England. Just want something that looks clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Wicked find! I wish things like that came up more often for me :(

Put in some air horns, and get a PA.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Working at an independent Saab/Volvo shop has it's advantages... :) I honestly didn't know genuinesaab sold those foglamp delete covers. Thanks for the link! I do like the air horn idea though...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
what needs to be fixed for a 400 dollar car to be driveable/reliable?
One of the strut housings was rotted out at the top, found a good used one in the mid-west with a good strut and bearing for $225, had to replace a broken headlight lens, $45 out of Calif my cost,tranny and engine mounts were $40 each, I poly filled them myself, had to remove the bumper to fix some REALLY bad rivet/patch work,the cheap aftermarket rims were only good for scrap. Bent all to hell. Tires were junk. Found that set of tri-spokes with new-ish Michelin Pilots for $175 on Craigslist.Have a set of BBS RK1 rims ready to be repainted and new tires put on for the summer. Still has a slightly bad ball joint and needs new control arm bushings,no big deal. I'll get them from Genuinsaab in the near future. Welded the exahust back together with spare hangers and pipe I had hanging around. Fixed the dead SIM with the info on here,and I have piles of switches and odds and ends in a shed out back of work. Have about 12 hours into it so far... Not including all the searching online for parts...

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
i was looking into the same thing for my Vig. i actually have the same identical one and am missing fogs. looking into putting NACA ducts in place of fogs to cool the front brakes. install ducts and a small length of hose to feed the rotors.

its an idea!

NACA Ducts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I wouldn't run them on the street - be annoying to always have cold brakes.
you dont have to. if you use flexible ducting from the duct itself to the rotors, it would only take a couple of minutes to remove for street use....

Example:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Honey Comb Plastic Grill with Air Horns behind each one sounds good to me. Personally I like having more lights, but those style lights DO tend to break very easily. Just fiberglass over them to smooth the bumper over - make it so it looks flush maybe?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think I'll take a ride tomorrow and look for some honeycomb grill mesh to fill the holes. There must be something that matches the center section. I might just redo all 3 holes. Could do that and still run some brake cooling ducts...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts