Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm happy. I like my new car, I really do. Midnight blue '00 9-3 SE with beige two-tone interior, which is in overall good shape. It does need a new temp sensor fan. It is NOISY for such a little thing! And how do you get that out without removing the entire lower panel? Also, the driver's side plastic molding that the power seat controls are mounted on has snapped off from the seat. No bigees (any suggestions on those smaller issues are welcome)....

A little exhaust leak from around the front flex pipe (expected that), and a couple o' dings.

But boy, did I feel like a sucker when I realized that I forgot to pop on the OBD-II (there was no CEL, and he had tons of dealer receipts - I believed him)... I'm cruising on I-294 S headed home and I lose a big part of my acceleration. It comes and goes (if I feather the pedal, it's ok). Then... CEL!!!

You should pity me! ;) OK, perhaps not pity. But I sure could use some experience with these codes. P0340 (I can look that one up - it's "Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction")... Could that ACTUALLY mean the camshaft position sensor, or is it yet another code that leads back to the crappy ignition cassettes?

Then I've got P1312 and P1334, neither or which my book covers ( it only goes up to P0998 ).

Ladies and gentlemen... any ideas?

Sometimes I've got good throttle and acceleration unless I really mash down on the pedal - then it seems to bog down around 3500rpm.

I just purchased it today, so I haven't had a chance to tear into it, admittedly. Hell, the plugs could be bad. But I'm not getting random misfire or specific misfires, so probably not the plugs... I'll still check, of course.

I figured I'd put this out there, so that if it's common and somebody has a hot lead, I'll follow that and save some time.

I'd really appreciate any ideas based on experience with those codes/symptoms. I'm looking forward to getting her back to tip-top... THANK YOU in advance!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Start by checking/replacing the plugs (NGK works best, BCPR7ES-11). If you're dropping cylinders and have such a noticeable drivability issue you're probably going to need to replace the direct ignition cassette(DIC) too. You may get lucky and find 4 wasted plugs in there, but the DIC's are prone to failure. Try the plugs first, they're cheap. A dab of dialectic grease works nice on top of each plug, and check the looms of the DIC for corrosion/crud in there so you get good contact with the plugs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DIC about 5 years old...

seriks1,

Hello! Thanks for the reply. Really, thanks to both of you!!! Helpful info... I went through the previous owner's receipts, and it looks like the DIC was replaced about 6 years ago... Any idea what the average life of one of these ignition cassettes is? I guess I can tolerate spending $230 as long as the part lasts a few years (and if it solves the problem, though it seems the likely culprit).

It'll be good to know if these go out every 3-5 years. One would think that they'd get it right after so many have failed and produce units that age a little better. Or perhaps not... :confused:

Anybody - any input?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
6 years is possible.....sometimes they even go bad in a few months. Any record of when spark plugs were changed? I'd do those as well along with the DIC.

Where are you located, maybe you can find someone near you with a known good DIC to try before you buy.

Also I wouldn't drive it while its misfiring and the DIC is failing.....they say it can clog your cat.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Welcome - always glad to see a new member getting their hands dirty :) Sonds like a nice 9-3 - once the CEl is corrected. Enjoy yourself here on the link - we are a great group of crazies.

I still have a few good used DI units - hit me up. I can set you up with a good used one for a good price. I even back them up with a parts warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DIC solution on the way

BurnsSide42... Thanks for the welcome! It's good to be here. I wish that I'd known about your post about 3 days ago. I then purchased a used unit (with a short 3 mos warranty) for $80 (+$10 S&H). If something happens with that (it fails), I'll be contacting you!

As soon as I figure out the solution to these code (which seem common - probably DIC), I'll post.

'Til then everybody... thanks again, and take care!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Perfect!

Well, low and behold... replacing the direct ignition cassette did the trick! I was hoping that it was something simple. Let's hope that the 4 year-old, $80 cassette I bought used lives well past its 3 month warranty. And if it doesn't, I'll know definitively what the culprit is next time (should the same codes come up). If I have to buy a new ignition cassette, I'll feel better knowing that I'm not stabbing wildly in the dark.

Thanks for everybody's comments and help! I guess this particular problem was rather straightforward compared to some... Let's hope I never have one of crazier posts. They're definitely interesting, but I hope to never have to deal with that kind of mind-boggling car trouble.

Gotta go drive! :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts