Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. So I need to clean out my engine bay and restore it to some what more reliable state. So I got several questions

1) I can use a bucket of water and simple green to clean up the engine bay?

2) What paint am I suppose to use for engine bay parts? I want to possibly repaint the DI casset and Valve Cover (need to see what they look like after clean up) as well as other metal and plastic parts like the engine mount and the plastic intake manifold cover

3) Most of the vacume tubing in the car is going to hell...(thing sat in a parking lot for 7-9 years...and at 71k miles most of the tubing is failing) So I wanted to replace it but since there is SO MUCH of it I was thinking of buying quiet a few feet (10-20...) and replacing them, but are the vacuum tube system uses same DI tubing or all components have different DI tubes ? Not sure if anyone will know this and I think I will stop by kragen and just work there walking in and out to get tubing >.<

This is a 1999 9-5 wagon. Thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
First things is first...

Get a note pad and pen, go through the engine bay and write down all the things that need done, check all the hoses by sqeezing (they should feel firm, but not hard or squisy) and looking for cracks, look for broken hose ties, loose wires, rusted terminals, etc...anything that looks like it needs attention...check the motor mounts..you can use a crow bar and lift the engine up and down...it should feel firm and consistant not slopping and loose.
You can clean the engine compartment with Simple Green by taking rags and wiping down the engine bay...try to stay away from electrical parts, I dont recommend spraying the engine with the hose...but people do it all the time.
You can use High Temp paint ( I prefer flat black) but that is me...and make sure you clean the parts really well before you paint them...you dont have to take everything off to paint it...just be careful were you are painting...unless you are using colors other than black, then you should take each part off and paint it seperate...
I addition to buying silicone hose, I would buy some T fittings etc as well, and also make sure all the hoses on your PCV system are fresh and not rotting rubber into your engine...

Here is my engine...there has been some depate as to whether or not black keeps engine cooler...I dont think the Germans would have done it for so long if it did not :)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...65570535648_1126945698_31592925_2991877_n.jpg

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I will do just that. Both PCV systems in my 99 9-5 and my mothers 02 9-3 have completely failed and rotted to hell...300$ in 2 update kits and oem hoses and 3 hours under the cars and they systems were replaced...hopefully not too much damage was done. Do note that if u get exhsause smell in ur car check the PCV system as both in my and my mothers car when PCV system failed we get exhaust smell in the cabin...Thanks. I will just start by going through and cleaning it out today...and later getting all the hoses replaced. And then maybe painting it. :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
You can get a pretty good idea of how much gunk built up in the engine over the years by pulling the valve cover...I pulled mine last winter, cleaned any build up...there was very little and then I used Mobile 1 Synthetic AT fluid and poured it all over the top of the cams, down the oil ports, and ran it for a day like that then drained it and replaced the oil...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im planning to pull the valve cover when I decide to point some parts later on. Defently gonna see what it looks like down there. Thanks. Cleaned it all up today looks way cleaner!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts