Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advise,
My handbrake line is fouling up on the drivers side, so I've desided to replace the line. And at the same time replace the passenger side line as well, for preventive reasons.

But what i need to know is: Should I stay with the duel line (stock) setup, or replace with a upgraded single line setup?

Which would be better, and in this case smarter way to go?
If you have other places to get these parts that would also be helpful.

Parts from http://www.thesaabsite.com/900new/NG900brake.htm
(bottom of page)

Handbrake Cable Driver Up to Vin R2023869................... 4241311..............$ 44.00
Handbrake Cable Passenger Up to Vin R2023869..............4241329.............$ 44.00

Vs

------>900 95-98 Handbrake Cable Dual Cable replaces the two cable setup..........4839874..............$ 81.00

I will also be ordering new shoes for the rear drums as well any thoughts on this would also be helpful.

Thanks,
D

·
Registered
51 Posts
I really do not know what the difference is - usually car- makers make "up-grades" to save manufacturing costs, not necessarily to improve the product.
I like the old Saab 96 with the internal cables, but what is better is to have grease zerks on the cable sheaf.
With my '96 900S the sharp edge of the rear axle cut thru the sheaf, fraying and rust resulted and the cable hung up.
This must be used on a daily basis to prevent seizure.
American car "drivers" do not even use their inconvenient hand brake, there by preventing problems, except for broken parking brake pawls..

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its stick shift so i use it everyday, (or when it works)
I think it's just craped out after so long of use.
I dont know about the 96 setup it must be different, cause mine doesn't come near the rear axel.
Its fouling up between the connection underneth and the wheel inside the sheeth

·
Registered
51 Posts
adidas_007 said:
Its stick shift so i use it everyday, (or when it works)
I think it's just craped out after so long of use.
I don't know about the 96 setup it must be different, cause mine doesn't come near the rear axle.
Its fouling up between the connection underneath and the wheel inside the sheath
Wheel inside a sheath ??.

Have a helper operate the handbrake while you freeze and crawl under the car to see where the hang up is.
Maybe you can do as I did and remove the cables(not that hard), repair them, take pictures, lubricate the after installing zerks, which is really not such a good idea, and reinstall them.
They should last 150K, 10 years - the ones in the VW were good for 15 years, 200K, and the same for the '88 Honda..

Maybe I should not expect for an Opel to be a good as a Honda..

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Allow me to retort

Ok allow me to pull my foot out of my mouth and say that, yes i was mistaken about the placement of the handbrake line.
And I simply should have said: that the line fouling inside the sheeth, sorry for the confusion

They should last 150K, 10 years - the ones in the VW were good for 15 years, 200K, and the same for the '88 Honda
My actual milage on the chassie has been 175k and its been just about ten years.

So fixing the line isn't really something I what to do anymore,I it fixed once before and it worked for a week. But what should I do as far as replacing it, that is what I need to know, which is better?

Thanks
D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well,Adidas, I do not know which is better.

With my '96 ,I use the newer type..
.The parts book I have is very confusing in this area.

I do know that my cables follow a long and tortuous path, IMO, not good.
The ones in the 93/95/96 were inside and a lot smoother.
The '94 takes,up to VIN R2023869, 42 41 311 and 329, left and right side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts