Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for all you stereo nuts out there:

The original stock stereo in my '97 900SE is going south - this is not a surprise since I drive a vert and it's gotten rained on more than once in its life.

Symptoms - have to press the power button repeatedly to get it to turn on/off (won't pop out all the way, on occasion) and the volume knob doesn't always control the volume. oh, yeah, one time I heard LOUD music out in my driveway at 3am ('cause I'm an night-owl) and went outside to find that my stereo had turned itself on, with the ignition off.

soooo.....

I'd like to replace it .

Now, here's the hard part.

Are any of the SID functions tied in to the stereo HU other than the Stereo display functions? I like my DTE, Temp, etc info. and don't want to lose them.

Also, I'd like to have an in-dash CD and an AUX port - the trunk-mounted changer isn't that convenient for me since I usually remember that I don't want to listen to anything in there after I'm already on the road and I'd like to be able to connect an auxilary source.

All this having been said:

1) Does SAAB make a HU with the features that I want that is compatible with my vehicle? I know that later model 9-3's had the in-dash cd unit, but I don't know about that aux port, or if they'd even fit the existing harness.

2) If not, what would be a good way to go? I'd like to keep it cheap and simple.

3) Has anyone tried the single DIN form-factor Car PC's - any pro's/con's. I like the idea of surfing from my car, or downloading MP3's over a wireless link to my server (I'm more of a computer nut than a stereo nut)

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
you wont loose your sid funktions other than the stereo display if you go with an aftermarket....i dont know if the 9-3 unit will fit....if your cars guna get raind on in the future i suggest you dont do the PC thing...Taliaferro make a dash kit for aftermarket.....MP3 decks are the way to go!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Deffinitly go aftermarket. If you want my advice, buy Alpine for the source. Check out this page http://www.crutchfield.com/S-84AsyKfNe48/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=300&avf=Y that is the crutchfield page for your specific car. You will need an adaptor plate (metra should make one) and also a harness adaptor (metra should make one of these as well) Both of the adaptors are purchasable through Circuit city (but I wouldnt not buy electronics from them, because at least in my experience they do not know what they are talking about and they are hard to deal with). Crutchfield has been very helpful in my experience, and they too can provide you with step by steps and all the pieces needed to install your equipment. Good luck making a decision, let me know what you get!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice - as far as MP3 decks go - how do you load them up - burn the MP3's to a data CD or data DVD and play them that way, or is there another method?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
saabkid37 said:
yeah...you make a data cd and you can scroll through folders on it with the headunit
That's where I like the car-PC idea - that way I can just pull up in my drive way and download anything I want off my server over wireless. Of course, that means no FM or satellite, except with an additional tuner...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts