Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
95 Aero Auto 210k. Had this car since July. Been running the same since I've had it -- great. Starting voltage can dip quite low, and it'll smoke out the tailpipe if I let it cold start idle for more than 30-45 seconds, but as long as I get in and go, I never see it.

Anyway about a month ago this noise started. Doesn't sound like a timing chain to me, and it's deeper in pitch than a noisy lifter. Sounds like it's coming from the a/c compressor or belt area. a/c blows cold like a champ. The sound is only discernible at idle. I do not hear it above 1000rpms.

Video at the link below. I promise my car doesn't sound like a lawnmower, as the audio would have you believe. I blame the microphone. It does, however, reproduce the knocking sound in question very well, especially at about 0:40 and 1:00.

Thanks for the help.

Name that engine sound! Video on Flickr.

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Just keep changing the oil and drive it until it pops.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
That is certainly not a lifter. Sounds like rod knock...

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't you guys think if it was rod knock it'd get louder, or at least not go away, when accelerating?

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Thats why I didn't say rod knock like the rest of the jamokes. Every c900 sounds like that when you start them in the cold, just saying.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
take the belt off and spin the pulleys by themselves.

i will put $10 on it being the alternator, and about $7 on the water pump. you will be able to feel grainy-ness when you spin them by hand. i had many a

i had like 3 alternators sound like that.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bastards. (In reference to the universe, not one of you. Except IronJoe because all he does is win.)

Listened under the car and it definitely sounds like a bottom end issue. Played with the throttle cable and while it's very very subtle, I can hear the noise increase with revs, it's just 90% masked by the other engine noise.

Also discovered that my oil pressure light hasn't been coming on in the key on position. Bastards.

There you have it, kids. Getting towed to DrewP's shop tomorrow.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Have you checked the carbon cannister behind the guard .It makes a ticking noise if a pipe has come adrift. Not likely but you never know.

·
Registered
779 Posts
That's why you never trust an idiot light for vital functions - like oil pressure !
Oil pressure guages are cheap insurance against oil-related failures .......

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, that was quick. Only had the Aero 5 months. Traded it to Walter Wong for a metric shit-ton of work on my '88. (Btw, shit-ton is the best unit of measurement.) I think he's going to fix it for his wife, who always wanted another Aero.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, the 900 will become the car I always wanted it to be. Win-win.

Also, DrewP is the best. Such a great help with my car, facilitating the exchange, and even a ride to the train station. Right Solutions is 10/10 as far as service, knowledge, and good people go.

·
Registered
433 Posts
ah, that explains why jk88's sig has had a 4runner instead of a 9kAero in it for a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
95 Aero Auto 210k. Had this car since July. Been running the same since I've had it -- great. Starting voltage can dip quite low, and it'll smoke out the tailpipe if I let it cold start idle for more than 30-45 seconds, but as long as I get in and go, I never see it.

Anyway about a month ago this noise started. Doesn't sound like a timing chain to me, and it's deeper in pitch than a noisy lifter. Sounds like it's coming from the a/c compressor or belt area. a/c blows cold like a champ. The sound is only discernible at idle. I do not hear it above 1000rpms.

Video at the link below. I promise my car doesn't sound like a lawnmower, as the audio would have you believe. I blame the microphone. It does, however, reproduce the knocking sound in question very well, especially at about 0:40 and 1:00.

Thanks for the help.

Name that engine sound! Video on Flickr.
Dude you have a crack on the lower front right side of the head right behind the Alt./upper motor mount bracket, take a close look at the video,whats that all about!

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I no longer own the car but thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts