1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,028 Posts
DeLorean said:
http://www.geocities.com/schaafer84/Engine.html

good web site, covers the basics of an n/a to turbo conversion for a C-900
It's a really good starting point but lacking in images which makes it a bit hard to understand some aspects. Now that I have a 1983 8V turbo it's not so bad but without access to a turbo car to compare against it could be quite daunting as it's a fairly major change in configuration.

I guess the hardest part of the exercise would be getting all the necessary parts together.

Craig.

·
Banned
514 Posts
Actually c900, there are a variety of aftermarket turbo kits that come with everything that you'd need to augment your ride with a turbo, complete with detailed installation instructions..., a search for "turbo kits" typed in your browser window should return a cornucopoia of options.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I couldn't find anything particular to c900's. Do you know of anywhere that has one, or even an aftermarket kit that would work/be compatible with the classic 900?

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Well, I sincerely doubt there are any aftermarket turbo kits for a c900, in fact I know there aren't, with the exception of a "900t Parts Car" kit :lol:

You'll need the manifold from a turbo car and the vacuum retard, other than that you could probably jimmy rig the rest up with generic parts and exhaust work.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I did a switch from a N/A to turbo a couple of years ago. The car started out as a 91 N/A Automatic and ended up a turbo 5-speed. It was ALOT of work and probably will not ever do it again. I ended up having to switch compleat wire harness's and dash. Tikka is still driving it though.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I couldn't find anything particular to c900's. Do you know of anywhere that has one, or even an aftermarket kit that would work/be compatible with the classic 900?
The N/A to turbo instructions linked to above are for C900's.

There are no aftermarket turbo kits because you just find an "OEM Turbo Kit" ie all of the turbo bits off a turbo C900 and put them on a N/A C900.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
It could be done your way Amish, but what about the compession ratio? What about having APC work, Yes I know ypu could do megasquirt, but like I said it becomes alot of work to convert one.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
If you "do it right" and use APC I can imagine it would be a lot of dinking around and running harnesses.

On the other hand, if you throw a turbo on a non-turbo motor, get it all plumbed up with a good intercooler (not any OEM saab garbage) and keep the boost 5-8 psi you can have a pretty peppy car.

No need to "sell it and buy one that already has a turbo" like 90% of the people who have never done this would tell you to do :rolleyes:

Its not hard to do, but you have to be aware of the risks of boosting a higher compression motor, and you have to make sure you have a good oil cooler, and a good cooling system to keep everything healthy. It would also be pretty important to get an adjustable/mapable ignition on it, and some sort of knock sensing light so you are aware when the motor is in danger while tuning it all and setting everything up.

I did this to Palmer's '83 and it made for a pretty interesting ride. I would gladly do it again if I wind up with another non-turbo c900.

The most expensive part would probably be the ignition.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
It could be done your way Amish, but what about the compession ratio? What about having APC work, Yes I know ypu could do megasquirt, but like I said it becomes alot of work to convert one.
Obviously it's more complex than just swapping the turbo over. But the link Jeff posted was to a site explaining what needs to be done to convert a N/A C900 to a Turbo, and which bits to use and where to get them etc.

The guy I responded to was looking for an aftermarket "kit" for the turbo. I was merely stating that there is no aftermarket kit, jut the "OEM kit" that comes from following the above instructions and sourcing parts from an OEM turbo car.

From the link:
Taking a non-turbo saab engine and making it into a turbo is a very easy task, obviously because there is no fabrication needed for oil lines or the exhaust manifold. The first step is acquiring all of the mechanical parts needed for the conversion. The following is a list of the parts needed:

1) turbo from a 16 valve turbo
2) exhaust manifold and turbo brace which extends down to the block from the turbo
3) intercooler
4) turbo fuel injectors
5) turbo oil lines
6) oil filter housing from 16 valve turbo
7) oil cooler
8) oil cooler lines
9) turbo plumbing to and from the intercooler
10) possibly wiring harness and ECU from 16 valve turbo, depending on the level of boost. I'll talk more about this in the engine management section.
11) downpipe
12) bypass valve
13) some form of boost control, wether it's APC or a manual boost controler
14) NGK BCP 7ES or 7EV spark plugs
Most of those parts are from an OEM Turbo car, adapted for use on an N/A car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was more interested in knowing if an there is an aftermarket kit for some other type of vehicle that could be used on a c900 feasibly. I've seen so many for the import market, and figured that there might be options. Just curious because I just purchased a 1989 c900 N/A...a new addition. I will post pics when I get time. Thanks for the info though!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If you "do it right" and use APC I can imagine it would be a lot of dinking around and running harnesses.

On the other hand, if you throw a turbo on a non-turbo motor, get it all plumbed up with a good intercooler (not any OEM saab garbage) and keep the boost 5-8 psi you can have a pretty peppy car.
Unless someone wants uber-boost in the 10+ range, there's no need to go to extremes of completely re-wiring the car. I'm going to add a turbo to my 89 16V n/a car soon and if I do any major changes, it would be replacing the block with one that has lower compression pistons but I don't intend to do anything about the electronics initially. I'll be using the stock EZK and LH systems as already fitted to the car, with the only key control change being with the distributor.

EZK does auto-detection of knocking so it is good to have a knock LED even if it's from a seperate detector (like KnockSense, etc.) and that can allow for integration of a Megasquirt later but honestly, that's overkill for the initial step of transforming a 16V n/a car to turbo.

Doing 8V n/a to turbo conversions seems like more 'fun' since there's no electronics involved, and APC can be used purely as a knock controller and nothing else. APC knobbles an engine and it's only there to allow running on poorer grade fuel. Run an 8V engine on 98 and it shouldn't need APC. My 81 non-APC turbo does exhibit some knock but I think that'd be better solved with the intercooler addition I'm planning, rather than sticking in more electronics that introduces more stuff to break. :cool:

Craig.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I was more interested in knowing if an there is an aftermarket kit for some other type of vehicle that could be used on a c900 feasibly. I've seen so many for the import market, and figured that there might be options. Just curious because I just purchased a 1989 c900 N/A...a new addition. I will post pics when I get time. Thanks for the info though!
I suppose there would almost have been a n/a to turbo upgrade kit available if you looked at stuff that aftermarket suppliers were selling a few years ago compared to now and combined things from a few places.

But I agree that the best way to get all the mechanical items you need is get a turbo car that's being junked and take what you need (including the full engine if it's a direct swap for what you already have. That's what I'd do if I was able to acquire a decent 16V turbo block (with lower compression pistons) to replace the n/a block in my 89 16V car.

There's already enough to change on the mechanical side without doing total electrical side changes as well (such as going the megasquirt route right from the start!).

Craig.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I ran into one of the local Saab guys the other day, and asked him about N/A to turbo conversions. He claims that it's not worth it based on the differences in compression between the engines. He claims that if you don't change the pistons you won't be able to go over ten psi anyway, and it will knock like crazy. Just wanted some clarification to feed my curiosity.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I still plan to convert my 16V n/a car with a turbo, etc. soon. Only just started back in a new job so money isn't available to source the extra things I need (turbo 16V exhaust manifold and turbo version of the distributor at the moment), but we'll see how it goes.

My 81 turbo car is going well though and it'll be better when it has an intercooler.

Craig.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
I ran into one of the local Saab guys the other day, and asked him about N/A to turbo conversions. He claims that it's not worth it based on the differences in compression between the engines. He claims that if you don't change the pistons you won't be able to go over ten psi anyway, and it will knock like crazy. Just wanted some clarification to feed my curiosity.
FYI, 10psi on a n/a motor with the right timing and fueling is a blast!

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
They are a bit beefier, its hard to say how much the turbo motors were beefed up because it varies from each different style of N/A motor. Certain ones were more prone to certian failures than others.

Even then I have heard of several N/A saab motors running double digits of boost for prolonged periods of time without issue. As long as they are set up fine they will be "OK." Obviously its going to cause more wear and quicker wear. But that the name of the game!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just got my Bentley manual in the mail today, and was looking through the first few pages. According to the book the compression ratio of the N/A is 10:1, whereas the compression of the turbo models (including SPG's...etc...) is 9:1. I'm no mechanical engineer, but those ratios don't seem to be that drastically different as some have led me to believe.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Is there any good information on this subject? This thread has been dead for awhile. Seems like the additional parts for the conversion are minimal. Sounds like it could be a fun weekend project...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts