Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stumped. All the levels look fine in the engine, and it seems to be running fine.

The mystery leakage:

(The fresh is from my car, the other spots are from my dads Explorer)

The color of the liquid:

Oil looks fine:

Coolant is fine:

Brake fluid looks fine:

And the trans fluid looks fine too.

I have no idea what it is, but it definitely from my car.

I put some paper under it tonight and will check where it's leaking from tomorrow afternoon.

Please help me with some possibilities of what this could be. Thanks.

Oh, and the last oil change was a little over 1000 miles ago with Castrol Syntec 10w-40. I know Mobile 1 0w-30 is better, but the other oil was all I had and it HAD to be changed.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Why not get under the car with a flashlight/camera and let us know where the oil is dripping off from to start with. A puddle on the ground means nothing to me and others.... Need to see underneath the beast. 9-5 could leak fluid from MANY locations. Need visual, supply and answers may be given.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
p/s fluid and oil cooler hoses can leak as they get old. Especially the metal hardlines on the oil cooler right up front and down low, they get rusty in winter climates!!! I had pinhole in mine and it sprayed oil everywhere!!!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well... if your trans fluid hasn't been changed for a long time that could be it. Seems too light to be engine oil. Hehe, whats it smell like? GL
Has no smell either. :confused:

I'll give some info to go along with the video. It seems to be a pale yellow with the consistency of half oil/half water. When I got under it was dripping off of the underside shield on the passenger side of the car. Seems to be in the center right between the wheels.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turns out it seems as if it is coolant. (Coolant message came on the SID while in traffic tonight) What could leak coolant on that side?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Coolant pump

Turns out it seems as if it is coolant. (Coolant message came on the SID while in traffic tonight) What could leak coolant on that side?
Coolant pump is most likely culprit, although there is a small U-shaped hose immediately in front of the coolant pump that may be fatigued from age and might leak in that area.

How old is your car and how many miles?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coolant pump is most likely culprit, although there is a small U-shaped hose immediately in front of the coolant pump that may be fatigued from age and might leak in that area.

How old is your car and how many miles?
7 years old with 81k miles.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
I don't know if that is coolant... the stuff in your video on the ground looks like oil or some dark color, or is it just the lighting?

The coolant can leak from the coolant bypass valve, it is very common on these cars. it is up against the firewall, drivers side. You can usually see the drips coming out of it, or under it... In fact I knew mine had failed when there was leaking coolant, I grabbed one of the rubber hoses going to that valve and squeezed it, and coolant came out the top of the valve :lol:

Also when coolant leaks and hots hot metal it burns up and smells bad, and makes whiteish smoke, and leaves behind residue like white powdery color on the metal parts. So you can tell where coolant has leaked by looking for that....

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reason I say it's coolant is that I replaced the bypass last month, and the other day in traffic I got the Fill coolant message. All other levels are fine but the coolant.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most definitely coolant. Took a major dump on the drive Sunday:

I'm done with messing with it. I'm about 100% sure it's the water pump, but I dropped it off yesterday with my indie to have it looked at. I needed the A/C looked at anyway, so kill two birds with one stone. :D

More than likely, my indie will be doing the job (he usually gets parts less than they would cost me and he doesn't charge me a lot of labor fees either), but how hard is the job if I have to end up doing it?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, it was the water pump. Picked it up yesterday at only $265. I'm happy with it, being I have NO TIME to work on the car in the next 5 weeks, and I needed it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts