Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On street/hiway speeds

>My friend Bo's STI
>Evo
>E36 M3
>2001 S4
>many 'stangs (friends '03 Cobra whooped me)

I even hung with a friends 400+whp z28 (only through 3rd, then he started pulling on me until some cars were up ahead, he was quite impressed)

Of course that was before I cracked a piston, should be back in action next week. It was 255whp/301ft.lbs. wtq.

-Steve

·
Administrator
668 Posts
what mods you have?

·
Registered
251 Posts
sounds like a fun car, could u beat the sti stock? i was trying to play with one on my way back from ithica the other day and he just wouldnt go. i feel i could beat him from a 60 mph roll. i also tried to race an 03 cobra cause i thought it was a gt at night and he stomped me. i thought my car stalled. i have taken stock evos from a roll too :) Im surprised that u stayed with a 400+ whp camaro but couldnt keep up with a 03 cobra though....i guess its just weight and he might have had exhaust or something. stock they dyno around 365 or 375 but with just an exhaust i have seen upwards of 410. no lie, just exhaust and intake. i think catback but coulda been headers.

·
Registered
546 Posts
WS said:
sounds like a fun car, could u beat the sti stock?
My 900SE with 230 whp is just slightly faster than a STI, 40mph and up. . A stock Viggen with 215-220 whp would be just a little slower than a STI.

·
7,595 Posts
That sounds about right. however, if you are talking an 1/8th mile, or say... a 0-60 run, an STI would take most any saab if the driver knows how to drive it... don't forget, the AWD does indeed come in handy if you know how to do a solid standing start with AWD.

·
Registered
363 Posts
YA AWD is nice.

But also keep in mind if you did an equally modded car (EX: exhaust on each car viggen and STI) the STI will gain MUCH more whp then viggen.

that 2.5T engine reacts really well to mods even minor ones. I rode in one after putting a dual stage boost controler in it, even at 10psi with 3 ppl in it was fast hell. Pulled alot longer then the viggen's i've been in. Then he kicked it up to 16psi, jesus.

Ian

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Yea, but isn't an STI pretty much fully modded aside from the stock airbox, and no MBC?

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
eh no ced...my 3 friends with sti's have started modding...they now range from true 300 hp to 370hp. the 300 hp one is just an apex'i turboback system. the 370 is a greddy ebc, same exhaust, short ram intake and intercooler spray....

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
What about the EVO? Same story?

·
Registered
251 Posts
i would much rather have an evo, the engine has been around for a while and is proven to be extremely good. The 2.5 is new and they are just exploring stuff now, i dont really trust it and i have heard that it is unstable with some of the stuff they have done.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys can see my mods HERE

I just got my car back today from getting a new (used) Viggen engine put in after cracking the piston in the original. Unfortunately its not very driveable right now b/c the rear o2 sensor got ripped out somehow.

I don't know how it would fare against a STi in stock form, they're pretty quick cars. Sure with awd it'll be much faster in 1/4 mi, but how often am I on the dragstrip vs hiway type driving. Besides, road track days are much more fun. I'd rather have a fast car than a fast 1/4 mi car.

It'll be ready for Carlisle though - hope to see many of you guys there.

-Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts