Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shall call it "lil white" :)

I picked this one up last week from Vaggen and have been getting it to the road ready and somewhat presentable stage. Ill post more pictures as things happen and it cleans up.

fresh off the trailer after I came back from DMV aka Hell

This next one is the nest we found

on test drive and first gas up after replacing some items

More to come!
Ill post pictures when I put the reupholstered doors cards back in and after my parts order arrives and it goes back together.

It is a good little car with alot of potential. The top is in good shape minus the plant life (which is cleaning off), and it just needs a real good cleaning to make it look nice. Replacing the head light bucket and front grille as well as the cracked corner light made a real difference right off the bat. I have some rust repair to do after it is back together but I am excited about it.

Oh so it is apart in the driveway right now because on our terror ride we found out that the clutch was gone. So I ordered the clutch, nkg spark plugs, muffler (the old one is holey), air filter, fuel filter and took the fly wheel to get resurfaced. In the next few days I should be done putting it back together and hopefully driving it then.
We suspect ball joints or a wheel bearing in the right rear since its rather noisy and there was a clunk.
Over all I am excited for my new child!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Uh it's NGK spark plugs ;)

Hopefully it's not raining to bad tonight. I rather not be standing out in the cold/rain to put the new clutch in.

A rear wheel bearing going bad isn't a common occurrence on these car, but anything is possible.

I guess I'll have to give it a listen when we get the thing back together.

·
7,595 Posts
Looks nice. If the suspension is clunky, asside from checking the condition of the ball joints also look at the shock bushings, as they are a typical source of suspension clunks in these cars. They are fairly easy to replace depending on how old or rusty the shocks are, if the existing shocks are too rusty, buy new shocks and they come with new shock bushings.

·
7,595 Posts
A rear wheel bearing going bad isn't a common occurrence on these car, but anything is possible.
This is true, though Pauls dad's SPG had one go bad and it did make a significant amount of noise, so it can happen... Changing it is apparently a real PITA.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
This is true, though Pauls dad's SPG had one go bad and it did make a significant amount of noise, so it can happen... Changing it is apparently a real PITA.
I seem to recall that failure...also something about his dad wanting to just tighten up the hub nut. :lol:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Nice save - should clean up real nice in the end. I know my top on my vert has started growing something on it - I need to get some soap and water and really give it a good cleaning.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I don't know if you can get your hands on one, but a steam jenny or hot water pressure washer might work really well on your top problem. That, and some special soap/detergent, should melt/destroy that mold.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
If the car is able to come down to Reading PA this weekend, I could bring my pressure washer with me and you could try cleaning it with that there.... just have some gas for it :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Donald thought it could be a bearing but our ride the other night was rather short and non spirited as the clutch was gone.

I am using a top cleaner I picked up a while ago and am having good results so far, it just requires a bit of elbow grease.

I just finished doing some more to the car pix to follow.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Well it looks 10 times better then the fabric that was falling off. I guess it sort of works with the Tan.

How about pics of the speaker grille surrounds.

We've also got to get the right ECU in there.

Edit:
And I guess I can properly fix the tail light grounds, whoever attempted it before was F-ing clueless.

Another Edit:
Oh and I had an idea on what to do with the Dash board. It'll will cost a bit of money, but I think it would turn out looking pretty good.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:lol: The giraffe is sweet. Looks like a good start, might even be able to salvage the seats if you can find a place that will re-stitch them. Though they may be too shrunken for that at this point.

Paul
Surprizingly not shrunk yet. I think the passenger seats can all be saved, drivers does need replacement, huge chunks are missing.

I am toying with the idea to giraffe the shift boot.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts