Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruising the interstate at a sane speed when this guy blows by me at ~90. I had a passenger in the car but wanted to see how this matrix moves/handles. Didn't even down shift and was quickly in his trunk due to traffic. At some point I dumped my boost right in his window, due to traffic, not trying to show off. Anyway, traffic opened up and this thing had good acceleration from 80-110. I Thought to myslef Ok, that’s fun.....too much traffic to drive crazy. We both exit to a different highway and as he goes by I hear the wine of a S/C, closer look and sure enough this guy spend the cash for the TRD kit on that thing. 7.5 Lbs. of boost, 166 HP with decent TQ curve. We play a little in and out of traffic but I didn't really have the space to open up, so I didn't. We get to stop light, yes on the highway, and it turns green just before we get there. Great spot as it climbs about 600 Ft in elevation out of the light at ~8% grade. It's a nice long curvy stretch through one of the canyons here, i.e. no spot for cops to hide. He's running behind me so I leave it in 2nd so we can get door-to-door going into the light. No dice, this tool blows by me at full throttle. He must have been doing close to 60 as he passed me quickly. I'm doing ~30 and just laugh, from ~45 I'm ....... ummmmmm powerful. I let second out WOT. Too my surprise I don't gain much, if any on him, as we start into the hill. I wasn't too concerned since he had a good headstart. I shift into third at ~60 and my passenger is laughing his ass off...."you've spent all this time tuning this thing and you can't even catch a Toyota" (he's an old muscle car guy) Anyway, I'm a little embarrassed but have a task at hand. At the crest of the climb the road bottlenecks from two to one lane. As I shift into third I see I'm reeling him in fast. Middle of third I pass him going easy 10 MPH faster than he. I top out third and give fourth a short go for good measure. No exaggeration, at this point I don't see him anymore, lost behind the hill and curves. I slow to exit at the next turn and this fool gives me a flyby.

I must say I was a little concerned when second got me nothing, but once I hit power in third it was no contest. I'll give that little thing props for doing what it did. Must be a fun car but no contest for me. Anyone running a stock 9-3 should know these will give you a good run for your money, probably even give a Viggen a good run.

I wasn't glamorous, but it was fun!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Am I missing something here CO-Saab?
It's 166 HP before the SC right?
Sounds right though the SC car starts pulling hard, but once the turbo starts a spoolin C ya later.
Matrix...... what are some people thinking.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2k193turbo said:
Matrix...... what are some people thinking.
:roll:
2k193turbo said:
Am I missing something here CO-Saab? It's 166 HP before the SC right?
My bad did I forget the :wink:, inflection doesn't always come across in type very well. Lighten up a little.

Those are the numbers seen on the web as advertised for the S/C kit. Like I said thats with good torque. The S/C kit is advertised to have a 1 sec faster 0-60 than the 180 HP N/A version. The matrix is about 400 Lbs. lighter than our Saabs. When you supercharge a POS, all you got to so for your effort is is a Super-POS. What I was trying to say was that it seemed like a fun car and had good midrange acceleration, for what it's worth.

Either way, good to see you can speed past a Saab at full throttle and get passed midway through the next gear.

·
Registered
546 Posts
CO-Saab said:
I must say I was a little concerned when second got me nothing
I've noticed the same thing when the ECU was controlling boost. I don't mind 1st gear having limited boost but 2nd can handle full boost. I'm using my mbc tapped at the BOV to give me good boost in second, makes a big difference.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Not at all, I like picking on everyone. The problem with the ‘little guys’ is that no one in a descent car wants to race them. So the ‘little guy’ passes the (insert any car here) doing the speed limit and thinks his car is fast. I like to correct his misconception.

·
Registered
461 Posts
So the ‘little guy’ passes the (insert any car here) doing the speed limit and thinks his car is fast.

Its like having an argument over the phone then having the other person say " your mom is fat" then they hang up so they get the last word.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
i HATE those "little cars" that drive the speed limit on the freeway!!..

i always slow from my average 80mph down to their 65 and put it in 4th and poke at them till they finaly take off and then i catch them and pass them!!

they are so dum!

no offence to anyone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts