Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am back in DC after 2 years in Brooklyn, and now excited to take advantage of things like driveways and junkyards to fix many things that have been slipping. The car overall has been running great as per usual, but little non-essential items have been adding up, and for those who don't know Brooklyn is a very tough town on cars.

This thread is a sort of project thread, but will probably be fairly boring compared to most because it is not performance related. It is mainly to keep motivated. I will surely take lots of pictures, starting tomorrow after a car wash.

Some of the stuff that may be helpful I will do mini write-ups of. I will also try to keep everyone updated with "little changes."

Here is my list. It is longer than Palmers, and thicker too.

Stage 1

Rear Shocks - Konis
Paint and Install New Crossmember that I have, remove condenser
Buy and Install Clutch Master Cylinder, Replace Brake Fluid
Plugs, Cap, Rotor (Maybe new Bougis)
2 New/Used Headlights, Corner Light
Fix Dent in front of Hood
Find a Grille, maybe Plastidip before installing
Remove Engine Soundproofing (it's broken off in places)
Fix Dome Light Switch
Remove Floor Rusters/Wash Carpet (dye?)
New Cloth Floor Mats
Plastidip all side trim and roof light housings
Fix Parking Brake
Fix Cig Lighter/CB Radio Wiring
Get Fabric for Door Cards, Install (Ideas?)
New Trunk Shelf Latch (fell off a year ago)
Fix WGA helper spring
Retape Wiring on Roof Rack with black Duct Tape
Find a new center console that I didn't break
Replace Clutch Disk/Plate, Resurface and possibly lighten flywheel
Fix rear arch rust, bondo/primer (grey matches car...hehe)
New Fender trim strips
Resurface door Handles
Polish scratches out of front windows
Replace Windshield
Refinish windshield wiper holder arm thingies
Find an air filter that fits evaporator spot?
Figure out why sunroof is sticking sometimes
New battery + and - cables

Stage 2

Install Suspension Bushings I have/Check Tie Rod Ends
Sport Springs (TheSaabSite springs?)
Alignment
Electric Exhaust Cutout Install
Intercooler, Maybe
Headliner

Stage 3

Repro Shelbys
Repaint

I will add more as I remember it.

This is the car last fall in New Hampshire, it is a 1990.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Washed the car today. You would not believe how much crap the clay bar picked up. The roof and rear hatch were covered in imbedded stuff. I was thinking of picking up a buffer, but honestly it will have to wait until I paint the car, because it would be pointless to put a high gloss shine on the car as it has so many paint problems.

These will serve as the "before" shots, sorry for the shitting lighting. Note the open hood, busted headlight mounts, missing grille, crappy bumpers, etc. The close ups detail the rust spot, which is actually surface rust and not a weld job, and some damage on the right door where I sideswiped a school bus in Brooklyn. You can also see a giant gash in the sidewall of a tire that needs to be replaced.

So there you have it. Off to autozone and home depot.

I must say though, despite being somewhat beat up, the car still has a lot of character, and gets compliments from strangers on the street all the time. Also, I have learned that cops love the roof lights. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
Start with a grille.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL, no truck nuts.

Saabeh, I would have put a grille in a long time ago, but the problem is the mounting points on the crossmember are all out of whack from rear ending a dummy woman in an elantra, which is the same reason the hood won't close. It will be on soon, though, I am going to get the new crossmember in there this week if all goes as planned. The question for me is, do I stick with the chrome grille, which always looks fine, or do I plastidip it with the other trim pieces.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Christ, when did oil get so expensive? Oh yeah, when the middle easterners decided to finally go apeshit on their autocratic governments.

I got a ton of stuff at advance for fixing the rust, painting the crossmember, oil change, etc., and 3 cans of plastidip at home depot. Unfortunately it's going to be hot as heck tomorrow. Also got stuck sitting at a dead stop on the GW parkway for a solid 20 minutes because some idiot decided to drive into a bridge abutment at 60 mph. Luckily I had just bought a sandwich which helped pass the time.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I briefly worked at home despot, and thats the only place I've seen plastidip. Fuck that place with a pine cone.

Back to the car, the roof lights look hilarious, in a good way. I'm a fan.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I briefly worked at home despot, and thats the only place I've seen plastidip. Fuck that place with a pine cone.
lol.

After about 9 terrible experiences with Depot's stuff, I'm done with them forever. Not that Lowes is much better, but after getting stung a few times, I narrowed my buying down to "Don't buy it at Depot if it has a motor, or a switch of any kind." Since getting shafted numerous other times (bent doors, shit that doesn't have all the parts, etc.) I just flat-out gave up. They suck wicked haaaad.

I'll spend the extra few bucks and buy at my local hardware store. They suck too, but at least if something goes tits up, you can talk to the owner, not 1-800-GET-BENT.

..............................back on topic. Just had to laugh at your comment. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Looks like a great project Jack, best of luck to you. I agree on that car having a lot of character, it might be one of the best I've seen. Love the lights.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Looks like a great project Jack, best of luck to you. I agree on that car having a lot of character, it might be one of the best I've seen. Love the lights.
I agree with nico. It's nice to give a good trusty c900 the love it deserves. They run so damn well sometimes its hard to remember the little things they need until you add them all up.

In for updates/more pics of strawberry blonds.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is true about them running well, especially when you factor in the age. Mine was bought in Nov. 06, and since then the only major jobs I've had to do are the water pump, clutch slave, and the headgasket. All three cost me what, like $200? And this car is not exactly babied, it's a DD in an urban environment. Everything else has been little troubleshooting type items, damage caused by myself (2 control arms), and routine maintenance. Oh yeah I did do a CV.

Just changed the oil in the engine and trans. There was only a tiny amount of pasty build up on the trans magnet plug, and I haven't changed the fluid in years, just topped it off as needed with 0w40 synthetic. I tell you if you drive these things with a graceful touch the transmissions last fine, mine behaves the same as it did 4.5 years ago, and my uncle's c900s never have trans problems (knock on wood, of course). Also I used Royal Purple oil for the engine as it was only 50c more than mobil 1 so I went, why not. Then I pour it in and realize the oil is actually purple. Thanks a lot morons, now I can't see how dirty it is.

I also took out one of the radiator fans that had fallen off it's mount and has been wasting electricity for a few months, and made sure the slave cylinder wasn't leaking or anything before I ordered the new master. Hopefully that gives me a nice high grab on the clutch pedal, I can't wait to get rid of that 2" of slop at the top of it.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Take a look at your clutch pedal too- you may need to re-bushing it. I have done this on both of my c900s. If you can't DIY you can buy a new pedal assy, I think they're around $50.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts