Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This freakin thing took forever to do but it was worth it... and it still looks like crap... o well

·
Registered
228 Posts
how did you do it? youself? would it help if you polished it? i am in the slow process of replacing my head gasket and am actually waiting for a haynes manual and gasket set. so this could give me something to do...since i have my valve cover off. i already played with my tbc and header

Ben Y.

·
Registered
316 Posts
As you are probably well aware, raw aluminum will not stay that way very long and will develop a white oxidation residue. Finish it with a clear coat.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Looks like he hand painted it, you can sort of see the streaks...

And what's up with your throttle body pipe, or should I say piece of rubber! That thing doesn't look like it can bring ANY air in! :lol:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i didnt paint it... those "streaks" are scratches... i am gonna clear coat the thing soon i just didnt wanna keep kickin it around... as for the coupler i need to order a silicon coupler for that spot....

·
Registered
556 Posts
Try working your way down with grit on the sand paper. I did an aluminum valve cover for my zcar. I went with 80 grit to get casting marks out, then worked up from there, 180, 320, 440, all the way up to 1000 grit on a DA. Turned out pretty good. the 1000 grit actually will give it a polished look then you can clear it and it looks like a million bucks.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if i dont clear coat it i will have to polish the crap outta it like once a week i m sure.... i jsut dont have the motivation to take back off the car.. so if anything i will just clear coat it and thats it.... this is the second valve cover i have done and the first one came out better but i traded it for this one and started over... my next valve cover will be a saab 16v one with the lines ( a c900 valve cover) i will take my sweet time with that one and see how well i can keep everything together

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats exactly what the first one i had looked like.. i had shaved all the lettering off so it was easier to do and less time consuming... but still took like 20 hrs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts