Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Deez Nutz
22,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Picked it up today. Pretty damn excited. I'm already planning a trip to the SW for some camping and off-roading.

Totally the perfect size for our needs. It fits bikes, camping gear, and people.

Also, the whole roof comes off in sections, the doors come off, it can go through 30" deep water, and there are 12 drain plugs. Shit yes.

·
Deez Nutz
22,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha, if I have to spend a dime on this thing outside oil changes and fun stuff in the next 36000 miles/3 years I'll flip my shit.

Options:
"24s" package
-17" wheels
-tint
-power locks
-hardtop with removable panels

Other options:
-auto
-3.73 rear end
-alpine stereo
-limited slip

Engine is nice. Throaty when you wind it out, 285hp/260tq, and feels pretty nice overall. Plus, it's 80 pounds lighter than the 3.8 it's replacing. Hard to mess with that.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
My wife loves her unlimited. We has a 09 manual.... The older engine is a complete dog.... Been pretty reliable in the few years, a few little minor issues here and there. After about a year all the door hinges are rushing/oxidizing from under the paint, jeep is suppose to cover it.

We use the "Congo cage" to let us haul canoes, bikes or whatever else we want on the roof. It's the only rack that doesnt require any drilling. Mounts to rear bumper and the bolts that let you fold the windshield down.

Michelin latitude tires are complete junk by the way...mreplaced the stock good years with michelins and they are horrible

·
Deez Nutz
22,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
My wife loves her unlimited. We has a 09 manual.... The older engine is a complete dog.... Been pretty reliable in the few years, a few little minor issues here and there. After about a year all the door hinges are rushing/oxidizing from under the paint, jeep is suppose to cover it.

We use the "Congo cage" to let us haul canoes, bikes or whatever else we want on the roof. It's the only rack that doesnt require any drilling. Mounts to rear bumper and the bolts that let you fold the windshield down.

Michelin latitude tires are complete junk by the way...mreplaced the stock good years with michelins and they are horrible
Hey, good to hear! I'll have to check out the rack. I have my eye on the AEV one, but alternatives are always nice.

Baller....

I love the Unlimiteds..
Thanks! Yeah, I was pretty impressed the first time I drove one about 6 months ago. Pretty eye-opening.

Why the auto?
I hate driving a fucking stick shift in stop and go traffic. I sit in stop and go every fucking day. If I want to get pissed about driving a fucking stick shift in traffic and feel the "soul" of the car or whatever, I'll take my fucking 911.

I don't need to be "more connected" to my car when I'm surfing the wave of bullshit that spans the crosstown highway on my way to work. I just want to sit and drink my fucking coffee and listen to my morning show while I space out and think about tits and bicycle parts or whatever. I just don't give a fuck about shifting.

I had a lifted 72 scout II with a 3 speed manual when I lived in Alaska, and I off-roaded the absolute fuck out of it. Glaciers, eskers, mutdpits, and whatetever else I could find. The 3 speed manual fucking pissed me off every time there was any type of terrain, and was a detriment to the experience.

Plus, I can tow more with an auto.

In closing, operating a manual in heavy day after day traffic bobbles every dong in the universe at least twice, and anyone who disagrees is a liar.

·
Super Moderator
9,123 Posts
Jeez, say it dont spray it.

Also, in the last 6 months i know of 5 coworkers who bought new wranglers. The JK is becoming very popular.

·
12,077 Posts
Thanks!

Going for something like this next summer:

They look kinda bored though.
Seriosly, they look like that is the most exciting day they have ever had. I think they are praying.

I think the diesel is due out next year.

·
Super Moderator
9,123 Posts
I drive by a 2009 JK 2dr at a Ford dealer, asking $28k. Its an X, not anything special. They hold their value more than a Subaru. Its crazy.

One of the people at work, bought an orange Sport S 6spd. It has the Freedom top too. After a ride in it, I am very impressed at the way it goes down the road. The JKs are like no other Wrangler I have ever been in. They are so tolerable, and even kind of quiet...

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I believe they have one of the widest price/options range out of any make/model, not including posh super cars.

It's ~ $22,000 for the cheapest lowest spec model and just about $50,000 for a fully loaded Rubicon unlimited. Crazy.

But they are one of the few American cars that retain their value for years and years.
Plus they are a blast to drive off road. Win win.

·
Deez Nutz
22,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I drive by a 2009 JK 2dr at a Ford dealer, asking $28k. Its an X, not anything special. They hold their value more than a Subaru. Its crazy.

One of the people at work, bought an orange Sport S 6spd. It has the Freedom top too. After a ride in it, I am very impressed at the way it goes down the road. The JKs are like no other Wrangler I have ever been in. They are so tolerable, and even kind of quiet...
Yeah, that's how they are up here too. Crazy. It's actually nice to drive as well. I just ran errands in it, and I could not tell it was a truck. Until I parked on a snowbank.

Did this replace one of the BMWs?
Yeah, my E90. Fuck that thing.

·
Deez Nutz
22,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Brake issues, a flaring transmission, and a $900 transmission seal leak. All this at 75k. I was the second owner, got it as a lease return with a huge stack of records. Everything was done by the dealer, generally within 50 miles of the suggested intervals.

Dude who had it before me had maintenance OCD. It was intense.

Good riddance.

Meanwhile, our E46 has been perfect.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
Brake issues, a flaring transmission, and a $900 transmission seal leak. All this at 75k. I was the second owner, got it as a lease return with a huge stack of records. Everything was done by the dealer, generally within 50 miles of the suggested intervals.

Dude who had it before me had maintenance OCD. It was intense.

Good riddance.

Meanwhile, our E46 has been perfect.
Gotcha. Not a big fan of the e90 personally but plenty of e90 people think my f30 is the devil without having a 6 lol.

Did you trade it in, or sell it privately?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts