Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
7,595 Posts
Nice, I have always wanted one of the E24 M6's. How does that vintage of M3 hold up to the mileage like that? I know the motor in the M6's are... problematic, at best. but when they work, they work great.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been working on getting this for about a month. Finally I can post it.

So here's all about the car:

1988 BMW M3
Hennarot with Black buffalo leather
189,000 miles
16" TSW Evo wheels
Two previous owners (I'm the third)

Pros:
Rare color combination
EVO airbox
Turner Motorsports Conforti chip (+24bhp, +19ft/lbs, 8000RPM redline)
Sparco Strut bar (uninstalled)
SS Brake Lines (uninstalled)
Immaculate interior for its age/mileage. I mean it.

Cons:
Non-running (but ran when last parked in January '10)
Car has sat for the better part of 6 years
Taillight leaks into trunk
Rough paint on roof (may need new paint on roof?)
Broken headlight
Missing paint on rear bumper

And the story:

In August we moved to a new house (with a big garage!) in a new neighborhood. Quiet place, lots of little side roads that you'd only go down if you lived there. Well, one of these roads we had never been down, and Mrs IJ decided to go see where it led. We're driving up the hill and I see a bright red E30 M3 in a driveway. It's got a temp tag on it. My exact words were "AWWWWW, Lucky MFer got a M3!!" I was teh jellus.

The road ended up being useless. On the way back, I looked closer at the tag - curious, the date was January 2010. Also it's got a bit of moss growing around it. I'm thinkin: this person must have bought this car and it isn't road-ready yet.

The next day I go back to get the plate number, and I notice the car hasn't been registered since 2004. Hmmm... Anyway, I run the plate through WA state's emission database, and I see that it failed emissions in 2004. From there I get the VIN and I'm in business.

Using the BMW VIN decoder I discover it's a 1988 M3 in Hennarot (Henna Red). I do some searching, and find this is a rare color (only produced the first half of 1988 ). I search the BMW M Registry, and sure enough - the car is there. Someone had added it to the registry, now I knew all about the car. I also have the name of the previous owner, no telling if he still owned it though.

A few days later I get up the nerves to go to the door. I introduce myself as the new neighbor down the street, and nonchalantly ask about the "red bmw" out front. No dice, the owner knows all about the car and what it is. He was the person that added it to the Registry. He was a member of the BMWCCA, participated in the Concours and quite the enthusiast 10 years ago. Ok, I'm not getting this for a song.

I find out everything about the car - it doesn't run, was his DD until 2004 when it was parked in the garage. Life got in the way, and the car sat. In Jan. he moved, and didn't have room in his new garage so it sat outside. I do some more searching to determine value, and even in this condition it's high. Parts car M3s with straight bodies and no engine go for $6000.

I come back a few days later and low-ball $4000. He's wise to me. He says he wants $9000, citing rarity and sentimental value (drewz). At this point I am obsessing like no other over this car. I LOVE the E30 M3 and I need it. I will stop at nothing.

I come back a week later with two M3 experts from the local enthusiast community. They say although it doesn't start, it ran when parked in January and isn't really missing anything. Needs work, but they say go for it. It's probably worth $12k or more with a little TLC.

I proceed to nut up and sell everything of value I own but don't need. eBay FTW. Two weeks go by.

I come back Monday with another offer - $7500. He takes it! Yesterday I get him the check and we do paperwork, and I bring it home (it was mostly downhill).

So here are my plans:
-Get it running
-Get it road safe (tune up, fluids, hoses, bushings, tires, brakes, suspension, any issues)
-Get it to pass emissions and start driving it
-Realign rear bumper mounting
-Add Period-correct 16" BBS wheels
-Repaint roof
-Replace body seals
-Foglights, tow hook covers, shift knob

So that's it. It won't be getting an engine swap. No major engine performance stuff, unless the motor grenades then I'll do the 2.5L upgrade. It'll probably get suspension, HIDs, a cd player (currently has a Sony tape deck) and keyless entry. Other than that it will be stock.

Nothing wrong with those wheels, about 10-15 years old-but nothing wrong with the design. I am sure you will find something else, but it's not like they are an eyesore.
Agree 100%, I was just trying to preempt the haters. They are at least 12 years old, because they came on the car when the PO had it. They are actually made specifically for the E30 M3, as you can see the size and offset is perfect and they fill the wheel arches just right. Also the tire size is correct per the M3 EVO 16" wheel option. But still, I'd like to add some period-correct 16" BBS wheels. No newer M wheels and no reps (elitist).

All in all I couldn't be happier. Couldn't sleep last night. And Mrs IJ is very impressed with the car which is a plus.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Cons:
Non-running (but ran when last parked in January '10)
Car has sat for the better part of 6 years
Taillight leaks into trunk
Rough paint on roof (may need new paint on roof?)
Broken headlight
Missing paint on rear bumper
Temporary roof repair = black vinyl?

I think the wheels look fine.

What did the PO (second owner) pay for the car?

Nice car, you got balls dude, I've never paid more than a grand for a non-running car, but I've never tried to buy a collectors car...

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Nice, IJ! Tell me you didn't loose anything in the fleet to make this acquisition... =:-0

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Temporary roof repair = black vinyl?

I think the wheels look fine.

What did the PO (second owner) pay for the car?

Nice car, you got balls dude, I've never paid more than a grand for a non-running car, but I've never tried to buy a collectors car...
No idea what he paid. Window sticker says something like 36k though. And yeah, it was kind of nerve wracking. I literally paid ten times what I paid for my SPG, and it ran! But in good condition these are $15-20k cars, and I can do all the work myself so it was a gamble I could take.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
If you can do to this car what you did with the SPG then I look forward to seeing its progress.

Awesome find and good luck.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
again the tags are really carrying the comedic load for yet another thread.

"all i do is win" is IJ.

sweet car. one of my faves. wel...its everybody's fave. no depreciation happening on that car! in 20 years you're getting 20k for it. congrats

1 - 20 of 272 Posts