Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I picked it up last Wednesday, had the reg and insurance transferred to it from the old Bike on Thursday and was Riding it Friday Morning.

2004 Yamaha YZF600r with 5200 miles.
Picked it up for $2500 with a pretty nice jacket too.

It's in really good shape, couple minor scratches on the engine covers and one small crack on the edge of the right hand side fairing. You can hardly tell the crack is there in the fairing until you get within 5ft of the bike, and even then it needs to be pointed out, should be an easy fix this winter.

The previous owner installed a integrated LED tail/stop/turn light meant for a Honda CBR600RR that blends really well with the back of the bike. It flashes when the brakes are first applied and the turn signals are like the newer Mustangs in that they light up sequentially in the direction of the turn.

After riding my 30 year old Yamaha for a year, this is a nice upgrade.

This Bike is very close to the R6, but it has more of an upright seating position (not that you can't crouch or tuck if you wanted to) which makes it comfortable for longer rides. It has a steel frame vs an alloy frame, so it's a bit heavier, but it has no problems in the handling or acceleration/braking dept. After reading about it before my purchase, it seemed like the perfect combination of sport/touring/comfort.

I'm super pleased with it so far, I've put almost 400 miles on it since last Friday and got 55 mpg on my first fill up since the initial fill. I've been riding it the 45 miles round-trip to work for the past 5 days, and I can tell you that there is no better way to wake up in the morning. It's also great for clearing your head after a day of work.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I can picture the jew-fro poking out from the helmet now.... looks nice! Do you need a M class license for that or do you operate like DeLorean :)

$2500 sounds like a really good deal for that bike and mileage. Good find!

I have the study guide in my truck for getting the permit to ride - I'm going to take the test and have a permit I think - eventually I'll look into a <600cc Bike. I'm thinking Goldwing, BMW or old skewl Honda. I'm not into owning a sport bike - I'd just kill myself.

Edit:
My 4 wheel Geo Metro AVERAGES only 42MPG - but I bet your bike is faster too, and has a higher top speed then my GEO. I think we would both be dead however in a 65MPH or greater crash. So that's where the two sort of equal out I guess.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha no I don't operate like DeLorean.

Had my permit last summer, let it expire, got the permit again in April of this year and was Endorsed with the "M" in June.

I took the MSF course in June which gives you a good foundation to build upon as well as waives the need to do the DMV skills test (you do it at the course).

People at the class asked why I was taking the course if I already knew how to ride.

My Answer was: "Just because I "know" how to ride, doesn't mean I can't learn anything"

The class is great for learning fundamentals and safety. It's great low speed practice, which is sometimes the hardest thing to master. I actually spent an hour or so this weekend practicing low speed maneuvers on this Bike. It really helps build confidence for low speed tight turns.

I'll give ya a good deal on a 1980 Yamaha XJ650. Needs some minor carb work. I've got the factory handle bars for it, to replace the crappy aftermarket ones that are on there now.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Details? A friend of mine in MA or myself may be interested.
1980 Xj650. IIRC it has around 33k miles on it.
Currently it has some crappy aftermarket handlebars which were probably put on after someone dropped or crashed it. The bars are quite narrow and pretty much make the mirrors useless.

I bought the factory bars on Ebay but have yet to install them.
It has K&N POD filters along with a Vance and Hines exhaust (sounds like a much more modern bike with this installed)

The Fuel tank has been replaced at some point so you need to carry around two keys, one for the ignition and one for the fuel tank.

I did a quick and dirty rebuild of the front brake caliper, it stops ok but has bit of a pulsation.

Tires could probably get you by for another season, but should be replaced soon.

It needs some carb work, the Revs tend to hang when coming to a stop and there is a bit of a dead spot between 4-5k RPM. You also have to keep a close eye on the choke during warm up as the Revs tend to climb fairly quickly.

It has always started and I was usually able to get around 40mpg.

I also have a stock air box and a bunch of Misc. hardware that I snagged of Ebay.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I have a 1982 xj650 (seca).

I think that dead spot 4-5k is on all of these bikes. Pulls great low and high, just not in the middle. I just learned to ride around it...

I have tossed around the idea of selling mine too. What are these things worth anyway?

By the way, nice buy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts