Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, today i had the opportunity to dyno my car at school.
Before i go on the dyno I had to do a 5-gas test and sign-up for my turn to run on the dyno.
I get on the dyno, strapped up my fronts and rears and put the big fan on blowing on my FMIC and my intake filter behind the fog light.

I did 2 run's,
1st with my JT 3" turbo back exhaust, saabnation CAI, and the forge FMIC
2nd with myJT 3" turbo back exhaust, saabnation CAI, forge FMIC and the Dawes MBC set at 15psi.

The Dyno:
1st run---- 213.77 HP
2nd run----223.17 HP

Both HP's are at the wheels.
Both done in 3rd gear at 2000 RPM's

They couldn't get the torque because the guy didn't know were to hook up the wire that picks up the rpm signal.

These runs are much better then i expected to get at the wheels.

I did have 1 question though, how much power in % do you ass to get the HP at the crank?
I hear its 20%.
So would that mean that i have 267HP at the crank?
 

·
Trollerator
Joined
·
9,830 Posts
trexturk said:
The Dyno:
1st run---- 213.77 HP
2nd run----223.17 HP

Both HP's are at the wheels.
Both done in 3rd gear at 2000 RPM's

So would that mean that i have 267HP at the crank?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WOW. What is your car supposed to be rated for stock HP? 185, 200, or 205?

I wonder if that number, 223, is already "corrected" for the 13-20% loss???

I was under the impression that Trionic doesn't allow much performance gain just by bolting on parts, that you still need to adjust the ECU to see any real gains beyond a few HP.

So either your car is totally under-rated by the factory, those numbers are already corrected, or Trionic will tolerate performance parts better than I thought...

WOW. either way, good for you, that is one fast Saab (and mean lookin', too!) :wink:

I was hoping to get a baseline number for my car stock, so when I tune it I will know how much things improve.... Haven't yet found anyone with a 205 HP stock 9-3 that has done a dyno...

now, if only my stupid maptun box would work, that thing felt like it was pushing 260 whp or more EASY....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
I was under the impression though that it was the Trionic 7 that didn't allow much room for improvment by bolt ons without the new ECU. I think the T 5 gets better gains then the T 7 in terms of simple bolt on parts, but i have heard usally that the % loss to the crank was 10-15% usally when doing crank-wheel calcs my friends and i use around 12-13% but 20% seems kinda high. Trex if i recall you own a 96 900 se? those are some great numbers if my memory is holding up. And i also thought that our Saab's were underrated with the numbers that are out there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coops93 said:
Trex if i recall you own a 96 900 se? those are some great numbers if my memory is holding up. And i also thought that our Saab's were underrated with the numbers that are out there?
I acually have a 99 9-3 with a T-5.

I would also think that the T-5 would benefit more to mods because there isn't as much technology in the car, that would allow for more mods.
 

·
HNNLIC
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
Man those are excellent numbers. I had figured I was pulling around 220hp with similar mods on my 96 900 SET. Thanks for posting the results. I bet your torque is about 250 or so :wink:
 

·
Trollerator
Joined
·
9,830 Posts
oh, i thought you had a t7, my bad... :oops:

still, those are some nice numbers.... i'm a bit jealous. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply guys.
I thought i would get more HP with the MBC, but i guess not, since is was a 3rd gear punch i only gained like 2-3 more psi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,920 Posts
good shit trex!! just wait till you get a new ECU up in ther!! man...
how much did the two runs cost you?

i wana get mine dynod but the cost of it is too much....

my theory is let others dyno their cars, and then see if you can smoke them or not....haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comment's, they dyno was free. At my school they have a dyno there, so i took full advantage of it.

I wanted to go 2 times for each time, because there is a difference in HP numbers when you go more then once, so i could have gotten more or less. But non the less, i am happy with the numbers i got.

I still want to upgrade some more, so don't think this is gonna be the highest i can go :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Did you get graph print outs for these numbers? If so you can calculate the torque by using T = (Hp x 5252) divided by RPM

Id like to know the numbers on your torque curve.
 

·
HNNLIC
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
Clint said:
Did you get graph print outs for these numbers? If so you can calculate the torque by using T = (Hp x 5252) divided by RPM

Id like to know the numbers on your torque curve.
Im not so sure that its such a direct correlation. Because the same horse power at the same RPM on a different car wouldn't mean the same torque. Plus there are different factors that can change the torque levels, but not necessarily the horse power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
iwantaviggen said:
good shit trex!! just wait till you get a new ECU up in ther!! man...
how much did the two runs cost you?
I did them for free from school. Thats really the only reason i did it :D (i guess im a cheap ass)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
********UPDATE**********

I had the chance to go on the dyno again, but this time i went 3 times with all my mods.
Heres the results

1st:: 217.64
2nd: 219.11
3rd: 225.94

So i have more HP there.
I was excited I have 2 more
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Blaque_Out said:
Clint said:
Did you get graph print outs for these numbers? If so you can calculate the torque by using T = (Hp x 5252) divided by RPM

Id like to know the numbers on your torque curve.
Im not so sure that its such a direct correlation. Because the same horse power at the same RPM on a different car wouldn't mean the same torque. Plus there are different factors that can change the torque levels, but not necessarily the horse power.
Try It. http://www.lehigh.edu/~cak7/Dyno/Dyno2.html

You can do things that affect the highest torque peak, but it will happen at a different rpm. Torque and horsepower are directly related.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
I think he is asking if the wheels on the dyno have any resistance to them. Some dynos have a feature to adjust a load to simulate actual driving.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top