Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit long, slow day at work.

I use to build these model cars when I was a kid. They are called Pochers. They are like the Faberge egg of model cars.

They are 1/8th scale(about two feet long) and made in Italy. Company is no more. It has made them stupidly costly to buy..i.e., more expensive than the Maxima and Beretta I bought not long ago.

I bit of background

They come in two varieties.

The Classics:(these are the two I have)

These are the bad boys with 2000+pcs, wire wheels you hand wire, working engines and brakes-leather interiors.

Then in the 80's/90's came the Ferraris. They had less parts, but had die-cast metal bodies.

I only had one of these, the cheapest least desirable one:

I sold it, missing parts, on ebay 3 months ago for $200. It took up too much space and was getting dusty and beat up.

So I am out of Ferraris.

Shall we get to the story?

OK.

I spot on Craigslook an ad for "3 exotic 1/12th scale cars".

I see in the blurry picture it is a Pocher.

It is an F40.

It is this picture, but cut off and blurry.

IT's YELLOW.

That makes it the rarest Ferrari made.

My heart starts racing. I click the ad, no price. Also shown in the ad is an unopened black Testarossa coupe, the most sought after Testarossa. He also mentions he has built ones for sale.

I have no interest in spending thousands of dollars on model cars.

I send him an email asking for prices.

He replies send me an offer.

I play dumb.

I say, hey at least give me a ball park, I don't want to be insulting.

He says, $60 a car.

Holy Shit.

Over the next day a dealer gets involved, spotted the yellow F40. Basically if I wanted the car to be shipped to me I had to get into a bidding war with the dealer. PASS.

We worked it out that I would come in person, take a few cars, and what I passed on, the dealer could have. Dealer did not like this, wanted to be there when I was and watch what I wanted. The seller was a stand up guy and honored our price and told the dealer NO. He also had several buyers at the ready JUST for the yellow F40. They all knew what I knew.

So I take a floating holiday from work and set out yesterday at 7:30 am.

I make great time and travel the 450 miles in about 6 hours flat. CC nets 32mpg and a 600+ mile range. WIN.

I find the house by the automated gate and drive down the long driveway. Wow, this guy can spend some money.

The garage door opens. It reveals a checker board floor, two lifts, and bays for about 10-15 cars.

The guy Jim appears. Nice guy, shakes my hand-he's in his late 50's/early 60's.

I see my cars sitting on the table waiting for me. I am relieved so far. No scam.

I soak in all that I am seeing. Wall to wall stuff.

He explains he had 12 cars in here. He sold ten of them two of them Vipers and a Prowler. All he had left was a supercharged SSR and a Countach replica he was building with a twin turbo. Cool.

So there were the 3 big Ferraris I wanted. The F40 in the box, the black Rossa and I had found he had a built red F40. MINE.

We agreed $300. BUT. I brought an extra $100 with me and wanted to make the most of it.

So he showed me around.

It was almost disturbing.

It was like the show Hoarders but for people with money. I found a nice 1/18 scale Cobra in the box b y a good brand I collect. He says, I have it in 4 colors, take your pick. Later I found he had the same cars in the same colors without the box in his display room. This is how he bought most things, two of everything, multiple colors.

The guy explained, he did not smoke-drink-do drugs, his only vice was collecting and it had taken over. He has retired and wanted to sell everything off and buy a house on the beach in Mexico.

He had a full size R2D2 and Yoda, Disney cells and original pieces, a restored Whurlitzer jukebox that I would have wanted, and rooms of cool collectibles with wheels. He had like $20k in Franklin Mint cars-every Corvette ever made and in two sizes.

I basically made a pile of things I wanted and told him to say "when".

We reached that point and I came home with a PACKED car. I could have bought so much more, but I am saving for a bigger house and have only so much disposable income.

I wound up taking home a 4th Pocher, a built white Spyder like the one I sold-but mint. I also took home a 1/12th scale diecast GTO and a 1/12th scale Lambo model kit+the Cobra.

Basically I am selling it ALL except the 1/12 GTO and 1/18th Cobra. Those I can keep neat and I collect them already. I have parameters to collecting so I don't wind up like this guy Jim.

Everything else is going on eBay.

The sales of the Pochers will payback the $400 I laid out and buy me the supercharger for the Roady I have been wanting.

So it was a bit nerdy/crazy to drive 900 miles for model cars but it's a multi-thousand dollar pay DAY. I will list them on eBAy one at a time as to not saturate the market. That dealer must be PISSED.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Awesome, I love stories like this! Good for you. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall that day.

My mom picked up a marble box with micro mosaic scenes of Rome on it for $3.00 at the Salvation Army about 15 years ago. The box was not together any more. All the individual panels were mounted as flat pieces in a velvet matted frame. She had it appraised at one of those traveling appraisal shows a few years back and found it was worth over $20,000. It dates back to the time of daVinci.

Something like this one, but this is just a lid. She has a whole box separated and mounted.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amazing find. Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together!

So why aren't there pics of all the cool stuff you bought in this thread?
I got home late last night and was exhausted. I have to take pics of everything to put it on eBay.

Awesome, I love stories like this! Good for you. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall that day.

My mom picked up a marble box with micro mosaic scenes of Rome on it for $3.00 at the Salvation Army about 15 years ago. The box was not together any more. All the individual panels were mounted as flat pieces in a velvet matted frame. She had it appraised at one of those traveling appraisal shows a few years back and found it was worth over $20,000. It dates back to the time of daVinci.

Something like this one, but this is just a lid. She has a whole box separated and mounted.

That's awesome. I love stories like that.

With my find, I read when it happens to someone else and dream that it's my find. I found a Pocher classic on CL last week for $40. I called the guy and a local buyer was coming. After he spoke to me the ad was a adjusted a bit from $40 to $600 lol.

This time, for once, I was the guy who got the score.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Shame you didn't find the uber rare Porcher Ketchup Rocket model that you were talking about before.

Pretty cool that the engines run, if I read that correctly.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shame you didn't find the uber rare Porcher Ketchup Rocket model that you were talking about before.

Pretty cool that the engines run, if I read that correctly.
I am still looking for the Rocket.

The engine does not run-run. It has a working crank, so the pistons move which in turn runs the valvetrain. So when you crank the engine you can take off the valve cover and see the valves open and close and valve springs compress. You can also easily convert them to working gauge lights and headlights.

Typical Jew.
Jealous

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, I did some searching online and some of the models are simply incredible! How long would you say it takes to put one together on average?
The metal cars are easy, 6-15 hours.

The classics are nuts, they say if you can build the model you can build the real car. They take between 100-300 hours. You can upgrade them as they make replacement parts like wood dashs, real leather interiors and upgraded metal parts. They make CD's with photos of the real car to add detail to match. They become museum pieces.

I honestly do not think I will be able to build these again until I am retired. 100's of hours, can't make that kind of commitment anymore.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I found one of these cleaning out my grandmother's house a few years back....thought I'd hit the lotto.

Turn out it was only worth 2 in the bush.

(PS...cool story Hansel. nice to see a good guy win for once.)

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
$60 each? You should have started a little lower, just so you'd have somewhere to go.

He said $60, even I was not Jewish enough to tell him lower.

I was always on the cusp of losing out and getting into a bidding war over the Ferrari. I always masked the value of the F-40 by talking about coming to the house to pick up multiple cars.

This is where the money is going...

He is local, I am driving his car this week then we will talk about swapping his setup over to mine. If he wants waaay too much I will just do a stage 1(non intercooled setup) with 6lbs of boost.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1530118

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
The metal cars are easy, 6-15 hours.

The classics are nuts, they say if you can build the model you can build the real car. They take between 100-300 hours. You can upgrade them as they make replacement parts like wood dashs, real leather interiors and upgraded metal parts. They make CD's with photos of the real car to add detail to match. They become museum pieces.

I honestly do not think I will be able to build these again until I am retired. 100's of hours, can't make that kind of commitment anymore.
That is amazing to be honest, that is about what I saw on a modeling forum that came up when I google'd Pocher. I also saw the ebay prices on the larger 1/8 scale Bugattis and Ferraris; talk about incredible details, but it costs a pretty penny too.

By the way, I would try hard for the intercooled stage 2 setup... You know you will want that extra power down the road. ;)

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is amazing to be honest, that is about what I saw on a modeling forum that came up when I google'd Pocher. I also saw the ebay prices on the larger 1/8 scale Bugattis and Ferraris; talk about incredible details, but it costs a pretty penny too.

By the way, I would try hard for the intercooled stage 2 setup... You know you will want that extra power down the road. ;)
I can't afford Pochers at eBay prices lol. When I was a kid I could get them for $250 which was expensive, but got the Testarossa from a catalog for $100-doable.

So when these come up on CL for under $100 I do everything I can to snag them.

Intercooled would be nice, a bitch to install. But this 420whp setup is above my targets lol. I think I would use a slightly smaller pulley for street driving, 380whp should be plenty.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts