Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is for me and anybody else who cares lol. im trying to build coilovers for my 91 9000. i mocked up one coilover today and put it on the car but it didnt really turn out like i wanted. heres some video and a pic from this morn.

if anybody has any advice please speak up im trying to do something different so if you think this is lame or stupid please dont comment cause it really doesn't help me out. lol. alright thanxx

View My Video

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the video man but ill put more pics up

N yeah I lowered the car to the ground like that with the adjustment collar all the way down n it wasn't really that low lol

·
Registered
791 Posts
I don't know much about coilovers, but won't you need a new shorter spring? When its down like in the vid is there enough room before the strut bottoms out?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats what i am thinking =(

its 500 lbs spring rate which is what the chart said to get based on the front curb weight on the car. should i go down to say 400 lbs?

im going to order a 10 inch spring hopefully that drops the car more as well.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I'm thinking you should try the 12" spring on the koni inserts before you try to swap springs, just to see where that puts you. If your strut is maxed out, going with a shorter spring isn't going to do anything. Then again, if you get the 10" springs, then you can have the lower perch moved up more, to give you more adjustability. But I think i'd go inserts first, just to see where that puts you.

·
Registered
610 Posts
thats what i am thinking =(

its 500 lbs spring rate which is what the chart said to get based on the front curb weight on the car. should i go down to say 400 lbs?

im going to order a 10 inch spring hopefully that drops the car more as well.
If the chart says 500lbs get a spring with a spring rate of 500lbs but is the proper height, that way the car will be low but shouldn't bottom out....

Like you said, def get good struts with proper length for starters....

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the chart says 500lbs get a spring with a spring rate of 500lbs but is the proper height, that way the car will be low but shouldn't bottom out....

Like you said, def get good struts with proper length for starters....
ahh, okay i get it now. right now the plan is

1.buy koni inserts and put coilover back on car and see if it goes lower

2. depending on how step 1 goes...if still not that low i will buy 10 inch spring with 500 lb rate.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I would recommend researching a little bit about helper springs and taking some more measurements.

Uncompressed damper length, uncompressed spring length, compressed damper length, and compressed spring length (Static) in the stock case are important to know. Only then is it possible to figure out where to go.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Was that wheel a 15" Steelie or a Spare? lol It's hard to get a height picture at that angle and with that wheel. Are you going to run 15" or 16" wheels? Larger? What does it look like assembled with the correct size wheel installed vs. the other side (stock)?

So far looks like you are on the right path - for those into that kind of thing. Glad to see my old 1987 9000 Struts are getting a second use before getting tossed.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
15inch steelie. its all i have. i sold the aero wheels(Kinda wish i didnt but i really

needed the cash) but yeah for now all i have is those lame steelies. you make

a good point thou burnside...maybe the car would have looked lower with some

16 or 17(what i plan to run in summer) inch wheels. i wish i woulda measured

from gound to fender but i forgot. oh well i say i will be totally done this project

in about a month or so. prolly somewhere around dec but i feel like im getting there. ive already learned alot thanks to everyone here.

oh and thanks for trading with me burnside! your a lifesaver man

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
yes, but he wont sell it to anyone unless they prove they are racing.

you can also easily do a 9-3 setup for less cash and not paying for the R=D if you had any motivation and skill set (im in no way saying nicks is a bad product, as im sure its great...but i can get all th eparts and machine work for less than his selling price)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts