Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pick this up on Friday night:

As I'm sure you can understand, I'm practically shitting myself with joy.

1977 911s. 98k.

I'll be the 3rd owner. I love everything about it. The smell, the steering, the sound of the engine, the bizarre German scattershot approach to ergonomics, and yes, the air-cooled engine flat-6 engine.

Don't even get me started on the color and the interior. It's fucking epic.

:th_MySaab900Like::th_MySaab900Like::th_MySaab900Like::th_MySaab900Like:

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and this is the car that got me started:

I spent a week driving this in 2009, and it was amazing. I have been kinda on the hunt since, and when my wife started to point out old ones back home all the time, I figured it was something we could do. I found this one a year ago, but the timing was not right...however, it was always kept it in the back of my mind. I decided to wait until it was getting near "winter storage" time here in MN, and then revisit the car this fall.

The seller named a price, and it was a good one, so I went for it. The morning we went to go look at it, and when we got back, I had a PM waiting for me saying that someone would buy my C900. I took it as a sign.

Now, the fun part...I'm going to surprise my wife with it on her birthday next week. I'm picking it up Friday when she's out of town, and will spend the weekend getting it ready, and then hiding it a friends house.

We are going out for dinner, and I'm going to have my friend park it in the garage so it's waiting for us when we get home.

Yep, I'm that guy.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VERY NICE!

Love the exaggeration of that massive-ass whaletail!

Well done!
:)

That particular tail was a two-year only factory option. People are um, sharply divided on it's appearance. I like it.

Better shot kinda:

It sits a little lower than a turbo tail, works better with the narrow body cars if you ask me. I might be biased though.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Well done, Palmer! Well done!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
dood.... ummm... that car rocks!!! awesome choice!!!!

every time I hear a new 911 driving around... I always say dam those old air cooled engines sound so much better......

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Love it Palmer. Make sure you do a photo/video shoot before you put it away.

PS - What happened to the white one?

Oh, and this is the car that got me started:
What year is that green one? Very pretty.

We are going out for dinner, and I'm going to have my friend park it in the garage so it's waiting for us when we get home.

Yep, I'm that guy.
I love giving big surprises like that. I'd be giddy all day. :th_MySaab900Like:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Slippery slope my man. Prepare for "reasonable" expenses that add up fast. You will be spending money on shit that isn't even all that necessary - just beacause the car. Deserves it.

And that car deserves it! Count me in the 'dislike' column for the whaletail.

Congrats on an epic purchase. Everybody should own a 911 at some point.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Nice!! Love the whaletail!

I was wondering what would replace the c900...

·
Registered
709 Posts
Nice. I'll own one of these someday too. Hopefully in an equally seventies-tastic color combination as well. How is the overall mechanical shape? Any plans for the car?

Enjoy the hell out of it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Awesome purchase, Palmer!! Totally understandable why you're near "shitting yourself with joy" !!:)
Now everyone's curiosity can rest following your C900(beauty)/parts/Miata purge.

I'm not at all a fan of whaletails, but on that car, why the hell not! That green one you drove in 2009 is gorgeous. No wonder you've wanted one.

Good job on the surprise planning too, btw.

In summary :respect:

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Yeah, that's worth it.

I've only been in the co-pilot seat of a 911, but it's an insanely ridiculous experience. The car felt like it was on rails, and it was a 70s era 911 that had seen better days but was still an active autocrosser. Friend who was driving showed how you can use the throttle-lift oversteer to control the ass end. ....a total blast....

...and a great way to surprise the Missus.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Nice buy!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
An older Porsche is like owning a boat. There are only 2 days of ownership when the owner is truly happy. The day he buys it and the day he sells it, unless he has very deep pockets. I bought/traded in a 74 911T and found out very quickly how it worked out. The forums were helpfull for sure, but talking to someone about help with the car always ended up "bring it in and we'll look at it for you" Finally after 6 months of this I researched the fuel system myself and found out even though the engine idled great and ran full throttle great the engine was worn enough for the fuel injection to not work properly and needed a rebuild. I sold the car as is with the owner knowing that the engine needed rebuilding or switch over to carbs and cut my losses. It was a great car to drive and was fun. I just wasn't THAT much fun to warrant the money to make it work right.

Good luck Andy have fun and lets talk next summer about how much fun they are :)

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone!

The of the two previous owners, one was a doctor at the Mayo clinic, and the other is a pilot, so having money to keep up the cars was not really an issue...

It had the thermal reactors removed long ago, and it's had the carrera tensioners changed as well as the head studs.

I'm also getting a leak-down and compression test done, as well as a full inspection by a well-respected porsche shop in town. The owner remembers liking the car, so I'll take that as a good sign.

Either way, I hope it goes well.

JK88, the white one was a pile. Glazed, chattery clutch, broken motor mount, and binding shift linkage. Nope, not beat on at all. :)

More on the green one later.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts