Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am driving home from my parent's house yesterday, and all of a sudden I hear this really loud "thunk" and sounds like something hit my car. I look in the rear view mirror (I am hauling ass on the highway) and I see the Lexus in back of me swerve to dodge some road debris and then Audi allroad wagon in back of me runs over and smashes this big plastic/glass looking thing. I am thinking, geez, what was that and where did it come from, it kinda looks like a Saab turnsignal. :?

So I stop for gas and confirm, yes, I am missing a corner lamp/turn signal assembly. I stood there in shock for 5 minutes while I admired the gaping hole in the front of my car...

It took the two sockets (blinker and reverse light) with it, along with my silverstar bulb and reverse light bulb. Merry Chrsitmas. :cry: hopefully the wiring is still OK and works when I hook up the new parts.

I had cleared my stock lenses and added some custom protectors, so I could not replace just one or they would not match. So the good news is that i am going to replace it and the other one with some brand new e-code clear corners.

the moral of the story: check that little screw that holds them in place often.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Wo :shock: Sorry to hear about that. Damn Saab created that corner lense with only one bolt securing it! Pretty dumb, but real easy to remove :D

Where are you getting ecode corner lenses?

Oh and by the way, I have those eyelids on which might have saved you the replacement money since they attach with velcro and stick to the headlight and the corner lense, so it might have hung on for a bit :lol:

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered a set of the clear corners from genuinesaab. My local dealer wanted 115 for just ONE side plus 25 bucks for a new socket for the turnsignal, and 25 bucks for a new socket for the reverse light. $165 for ONE with the orange reflector, whereas Nick has euro clear corners for around 150 or so for a PAIR! 8)

I don't know if the velcro would have helped, i was going mach 3 and the force from the air tore it right off! :shock: :lol: :lol: :wink:

·
10,303 Posts
Do you need the sockets, sorry I didn't get on this thread earlier, but I have them in my side pocket, yours if you want em. Free free too. I could even hand deliver them. :lol:

The grey one CP24-2.2 dual contacts
The white one CP24-2.2 single contacts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
i found mine on ebay for 80$....

i always see random cars with signal lights dangling and i think...how do they not know...but yell hey you didnt know and now it all comes together....that sucks...

but you should be lucky that it wasnt hangin on scratching up your paint!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Woow,
That sucks man.
This happened to me last year. But Mine just came off and was dangling there from the wires.
I don't know how it happened, but it did.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I can only reach mach 2 in my non-turbo :cry:
me too, lol

yeah, i was on my way home from the slopes the other day, and i saw a tail light fall out of some dudes car, it was a euro tail light, serves him right, he cut me off at the toll booth.
but it was funny as hell to see

~justin

·
Registered
392 Posts
Wow you guys think thats bad, yesterday I saw possibly one of the craziest thigns Ive ever seen in person on the road. Im driving behind this civic going like 40-45 and all the sudden, the hood pops up while his car is driving, blinding him from the road. Ive never seen anything like that happen it was crazy. I was pretty scared that it was going to fly off and destroy my windshield but thank god it held. I thought that even when popped there is still a safety latch to prevent something liek that from happening. Oh well at least no one was hurt so I can laugh about it. Also, good thing I had some witnesses in my car because this was something you really had to see.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
citronxbeige said:
all the sudden, the hood pops up while his car is driving, blinding him from the road. Ive never seen anything like that happen it was crazy..
once, in college, a buddy and me were going to meet some of our fraternity brothers over at the local HOOTERS restaurant for some chicken wings and beers. He had this old Toyota Camry or something with lots of rust, a typical broke college kid car. we got onto the highway and got about 1000 feet before the hood went "WHAM!" and we were in the leftmost passing lane and instantly become blinded. It was "interesting" trying to see and pull the car over. We arrived at Hooters a half hour late in a car with a bent hood held down with bungie cords and rope. :shock: :lol: the day before this he was enjoying some time outdoors on a nice sunny warm spring day with some beers and stuff, and putting new plugs in or some tune-up stuff and somehow "forgot" to fully close the hood. :shock:

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My E-codes blinkers are here and I am no longer a danger to other motorists by driving around with no turn signal. :lol:

These are really sharp, they look crisper than the US spec, almost a brighter "white" color and not just "clear". they also look more "polished" as far as details, they are cleaner looking than the US spec with orange removed.

Can I use some loctite or something else to keep this from happening again? The E-codes do not have the metal brakets around the plastic where you screw these on, like the US spec....(see picture of backs)

interestingly enough, a long time ago when I first installed silverstar signal bulbs, I noticed one of my US spec blinkers did not have the metal bracket things and the other did. Guess which one was the one that ended up flying off on the highway... :roll:

and free bonus pic of the day the whole thing spontaneously tore off my car. :shock:

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
turbokick said:
dude you need to wash your car. just think of all that rust forming.
thanks, Captain Obvious! :roll:

I was not about to send it through the car wash with wires and open sockets dangling out and a huge gaping hole so water can shoot right into my cone intake. :roll: :roll:

it's clean(er) now.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
stevehayes01 said:
Why does the Ecode look smaller than the US one???
it must be just the angle of the photo. either that, or Europeans are midgets and drive mini-Saabs. :wink:

·
Registered
354 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
abdukted14560 said:
thanks, Captain Obvious! :roll:

I was not about to send it through the car wash with wires and open sockets dangling out and a huge gaping hole so water can shoot right into my cone intake. :roll: :roll:

it's clean(er) now.
Ahhh.... why would you take a Saab through a car wash? Those things are bad for your paint man.

Think of all the debris those things pick up from other cars. It holds onto that shit and drags it all across your car. It can scratch and nic the paint.

If you were driving something like a Civic, I would say go for it. But your in a Saab man... I understand you might be busy, but surely you can set aside an hour once every 2 weeks to give your car a good hand washing? Your car will thank you repeatedly, and it will look 10x better then any car wash could make it look.

your car, your money though. Spend it how you want.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
yeah - this too happened to me last week - I was "cruising" along on a open road and when I got to school i seen wires dangling where my turn signal once was - never heard it fall off, took the bulbs and sockets too - left the rubber boots the marker plugs into there and left the fender untouched/unscared.... kinda random happening - but I got myself a replacement already for about $5 :p No Harm no foul - but make sure that screw/torx/bolt is tight!!

·
7,595 Posts
and another thing to note- make sure it is tight AND HOLDING THE SIGNAL IN. BS's was "tight" but needed the funny washer turned over for it to be tight and hold the signal in properly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts