Saab Link banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Sorry. I am referring to the Aero spec which starts at $49,565. The comparable BMW 535i xDrive starts at $52,400. Both have AWD and similar hp/tq and mpg numbers so they're usually the best models to compare.

But yeah you're right, the base model 9-5 being reviewed here starts at a hair under $40k.
However at 52k its not very comparable, thats teh base price. Factor in the premium package, sport package, premium audio (in fairness the 5 has a pretty good base audio, so w/e), adaptive suspension, ventilated seats, navigation, heads up display, lane departure warning, advanced parking (don't even know if they offer that on the 5) the 9-5 a good price for what you get. IIRC that puts the 5 at close to 60 if not more.

EDIT: Just built a 535xi on bmwusa.com

A car equipped package wise as close to the 9-5 as possible (wasn't able to option the premium audio on the 535 without adding the 4000 premium package 2, and ventilated seats aren't an option without gettings the multicontour seats which are really expensive because of the adjustments and massage, so i left that out). The 5 series comes out at $71350 for the similarly equipped 9-5's $58225 (loaded aero minus the u-rail). Pretty substantial difference. The Saab has ventilated seats in this config, the BMW does not, i added the 4 zone climate control on the 5 because the 9-5 has a 3rd zone with the rear entertainment pack. So advantage BMW for 1 extra zone of climate, and yes, the bmw is more refined, and the quality of the interior IMO is higher.... However, its not $13000 more IMO.

Advantage, Saab overall IMO.

Quick Summary

BMW $71350
Saab $58225

Feature differences FTMP, Saab ventilated seats, BMW no. Bmw 4 zone climate, Saab 3.

Otherwise they were very comparable.

Spec sheets below

BMW

My 535i xDrive SedanDetails
3.0 liter, 6-cylinder engine with TwinPower Turbo technology
xDrive, intelligent all-wheel-drive
See all standard features

Base MSRP
$52,400

Alpine White

$0

Venetian Beige Dakota Leather

$0

Dark wood trim

$0

Driver Assistance Package

$1,350

Premium Package

$1,800

Dynamic Handling Package

$2,700

Sport Package

$2,200

Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles

$500

4-zone automatic climate control

$500

Comfort Access keyless entry

$1,000

Head-up Display

$1,300

Heated front seats

$500

Navigation system

$1,900

Ski bag

$150

Split fold-down-rear seat

$475

iPod and USB adapter

$400

Rear-seat entertainment

$2,200

Satellite radio with 1 year subscription

$350

Park Distance Control

$750

Destination & Handling:

$875

BMW Ultimate Service™

A suite of premium benefits that are included at no cost with all new BMW Vehicles.

4 Years/50,000 Miles Warranty
Included

4 Years/50,000 Miles Maintenance Program
Included

4 Years/Unlimited Mileage Roadside Assistance
Included

4 Years/Unlimited Mileage BMW Assist™ Safety Plan
Included

Total MSRP as Built$71,350
Saab

Enlarge
Rotate

Enlarge
Rotate

• 1. Model
  • 2. Trim Level & Engine
  • 3. Exterior & Interior
  • 4. Options
  • 5. Summary

Model

Saab 9-5 Sedan Aero Turbo6 (300) XWD Aut$ 49565

Exterior & Interior

Arctic White solid Leather sport ventilated upholstery, Parchment / Cabin: Jet Black$ 695
Alloy wheel 10-spoke Turbine 19 x 8.5"$ 750

Options

Saab Infotainment Navigation$ 2395
harman/kardon® Surround Sound system$ 995
Technology package (Aero)$ 1695
Rear seat package$ 2130

Total
$ 58225

Print Summary
Accessories

All Standard Features For This Vehicle
View Engine data
also you'll notice more stuff checked off on the 5. Theres more stuff listed as standard on the 9-5, i tried not to let anything out, or overequip either, i think its a pretty fair comparison. As i said before i do think the BMW is a better overall vehicle at that equipment level, just not worth the extra premium.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The thing is that wether you're buying the cheaper $40k or the full extra $52k aero, the cons will still be there.

This is why I didn't pay too much attention to the engine and did more in the details.

EDIT: 300th post - lol Saab road master

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I wouldn't want cruise to hold my speed going downhill, I'd rather gain a little speed and not waste energy by braking. But I could see how that makes it a little less "luxury" in a sense.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
The thing is that wether you're buying the cheaper $40k or the full extra $52k aero, the cons will still be there.

This is why I didn't pay too much attention to the engine and did more in the details.

EDIT: 300th post - lol Saab road master
I get your point, but what i guess i'm saying, is some of that stuff you won't think of after you drive it for a while. But yeah, i mean every car has its cons, i won't dispute that. I also edited my above post to include pricing of comparable 9-5 aero and 5 series as well as copies of the build info from the sites.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Ive never had any issues with that, but I'm not a fan of the design and layout of the switchgear for that. chevy uses similar switches on the cruze and others now... :x

Guess that's being picky also though.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
The impact of GM in our cars... hate it!
In fairness gm Europe had it first, and some hand built super cars use the same switches, however seeing it in the cruze is what hurt me lol. Hell Audi and vw share switchgear too (at least they did), its just that I hold vw higher than a chevy cruze lol

21 - 28 of 28 Posts