Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
supposedly the head gasket needs to be replaced, but there is no coolant in the oil. I have to check things out. the only other problem aside from the filthy interior is that the core support is pushed down about an inch.
oh, and the fact that it's an automatic.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so I started lookin at things today. Did a compression test, 180 psi across the board. The plugs were densos, so I put in a spare set of ngk's. Filled the coolant and started it up. No visible leaks anywhere. Ran it for almost an hour and nothing leaked. I ran a can of seafoam through it and revved it out, still no leaks. I don't know who told the kid it needed a headgasket but I can't see any symptoms.
Overall there were a few parts that needed to be replaced, that I already had spares of. So I'm going to put the car on the road tomorrow and well see how she does!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Needs a nice detail and its a very nice find for $300! Interior isn't too bad either - does it have a HO turbo? I see the arm rest there.... usually mean's is a "SE"
It most likely is a HOT, but it doesn't matter because it's still just a T25 in there.

The TD04 didn't get put on the HOTs until 2000.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Nice buy John,

Your going to have to eventually get rid of that automatic transmission if you hope to have any fun with it. From the pictures it looks really clean (aside from the dirty interior).

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it is an SE, but it's not a HOT car, and I don't plan on swapping a manual trans into the car. my last 900se ate up 2 transmissions, it was a 5 spd car and was a load of fun. but I need this one to last!

I'm registering it after work today. should be good to go!

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love having a Saab again.

I've been driving the car since about 5 pm today. Beating the piss out of it, just trying to make something leak. Nothing leaks. I don't know who told the kid I bought it from that it needed a head gasket, but as far as I can tell I doesn't.

The car needs outer tierod ends, passenger side ball joint, and the front brakes need to be done. That's the only real mechanical problems I can find so far.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I love having a Saab again.

I've been driving the car since about 5 pm today. Beating the piss out of it, just trying to make something leak. Nothing leaks. I don't know who told the kid I bought it from that it needed a head gasket, but as far as I can tell I doesn't.

The car needs outer tierod ends, passenger side ball joint, and the front brakes need to be done. That's the only real mechanical problems I can find so far.
I kind of sort of miss my 9-3, but not enough to want another. Maybe an NG at some point. Sticking with the c900 for now.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
As bad as the og9-3/ng900 chassis is, it can still be a blast to drive.

Nice find.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.